"Extreme"/Offroad vehicle builders/companies

Lewis

Here's one of my favourite outdoors-builds:

post-21-1202118733_thumb.jpg

page8-1061-full.jpg

Mike's Tomcat - built under a friend's car-port. He took the route (out of necessity) of getting it far enough to get through an MOT and then doing all the finishing off / tweaking once it was on the road.

Can anyone recommend any persons or companies that could finish it for me to a good standard, under my loose instruction?

back to the original question...

My vote goes to Gigglepin4x4...

Jim may not follow your "loose intruction" if he thinks they are "no good", but he can give sound recommendations, from daily use LR to full racers....

My disco is very lightweight compared to some of the trucks here, but it goes very well and if fit for purpose, and my budget is tight.. :rolleyes:

If you look at the vehicles that were built for the OBC Morrocco last year.. they are awesome...

Devon4x4 woud do a very good job too.

I'm sure there are other very good builders in the country, but I don't know them

Lewis get your arse out into the shed! If you want to pay someone else to do the work then at least get some axles and wheels on the truck to make it a rolling chassis, you might even find that your enthusiasm improves by doing just that.

I get a real buzz out of driving a truck I’ve spent hundreds of hours working on, that feeling of achievement is great when it all works.

If you want respect do it yourself!! ;)

Set yourself a realistic target like a challenge event and set weekly targets to achieve that date, a bit of pressure is a good thing when building a truck, it keeps you focused.

It does just about have axles and wheels on, they just need attatching a bit better! Lewis, i had a look at it the other day when i was doing the t'box on the yellow one for dan and it has a shed load of potential and will be an awesome looking thing when done! Yes, there is a lot of work to do but just picture it when finished, i have been rebuilding a mini on and off for 2 years now and its still a bare metal shell! It will get there in the end, just keep going and it will pay off.

Thanks for all the advice guys, much of it has been very usefull, but sadly none has inspired me into the workshop.

My apologies for the long delay in replying - I dont have a computer or internet access, so I have to beg or borrow pc use from mates

I've had a quote for £3200 to finish the car I have now, but I'm not even sure I want to finish this car now, so Its back to a bit more thinking

Lewis,Have you fallen out with the guy you were building it with??? dirty diesel???

Yeah, all the time ;)

@Lewis: It would be very easy for be to be a complete B*stard and really give you a good kick in the groin at this point.

But i won't. What i will say is that for someone who is so opinionated, you don't half give up easy.

You don't need a 5 trillion kva gen to fix your car or a 380amp welder. You just need a single phase supply and cheap 150/190 welder that i am sure someone can lend you. A gen to run that is not overly expensive and i am sure if you look around you can find small barn closer to home for £20 aweek.

Just as a small incentive for you. If you can/could find anyone to take on that job (I am not talking about some bloke in a garage or mates, i mean a proper firm) and you asked them to get it to a 'turn-key-vehicle' expect to pay somewhere between 5 and 10k as all the work will be custom and takes a long time.

Now if you have that kind of money great. But if i had your skills i 'd be leaving it in the bank and getting off my backside and building something i could be proud of.

Jim

I'm sure everyday is a struggle for you not to be a b*stard Jim, but you'll get there one day . .

You are completely right, I dont need a generator of over 20KVA, but even they are expensive. And no I dont need a 350amp welder but thats what I have the use of and buying a smaller single phase plant would be counter productive, and good quality single phase welders are hard to find for little money.

I am looking for a workshop which has power, and is closer, but the present one is cheap and local.

Is 5-10grand a quote from Gigglepin, or should I call?

I bought a little-used 7.5KVA 3-phase genny for £750, then found I couldn't use it for the intended purpose (driving a particular microprocessor control unit). I then invested a hefty sum in a rotary-converter instead, so the genny is surplus to requirements - I'm therefore open to sensible offers, if you're interested!

Lewis, life is short. Don't waste yuor time on a project you're not enjoying - it is, after all, your free time to enjoy.

Better to cut your losses and get rid, IMHO.

If you reckon it can be adapted to something you are interested in building - how about a forum workshop weekend to have a blast on it and get some progress?!

Al.

:)