NO SORTOUTS IN 2008

PaulMc

My mate has just received a letter from the Old Sod, they've cancelled both Sortouts this year.

The letter say's the reasons are - objections about the traffic on the A34 and M4, high fuel prices and the London LEZ affecting traders.

Paul.

Never have I read a more unconvincing set of excuses. I wonder what the real reason is.

I also thought that they sounded like pathetic reasons, I'm hoping that someone on here knows a bit more?

Me and my mate were going to be selling at April's sortout, but now we're thinking about giving Tom McGuigan's 4x4-Market a go at Newmarket on the 20th April.

Paul.

Might be helpfull if they kept the website upto date, still advertises the 2007 events :rolleyes: seems to be a lame set of reasons though, went last year & didn't have any problems with the M4

http://www.oldsodburysortout.co.uk/

The problems with traffic queueing on the roads could be alleviated by opening the gates to the holding areas, for both sellers and buyers, earlier than 09:00

Paul.

I agree, last year, we exited the M4 & into a slow moving queue upto the overbridge & right turn, the hold up was caused by the traffic control in place at the bridge turn & entrance gate, but once past the turns the traffic had lots of run in to keep moving to the paying area, we got there about 10am IIRC to try & avoid most of the traffic queues.

its weird, a few weeks ago I heard that there were going to be a rival sortout run every 3 months or so - but dismissed it!

On the 'Sun' of the land rover forums there is a link to this website:-

www.sortout.com

Whats the one in Capel like?

looks like i might be attending....

Me and my mate did that one as sellers a couple or three years ago and did quite well.

We've been as buyers since and it's been fairly quiet, but definately worth a visit.

Paul.

This is bad news, I wonder what the real reasons are, as those he has quoted are garbage, I can't see how it generates anymore traffic than any other event at the showground, the LEZ has no effect what so ever, and rising fuel prices are our problem, not his.... and he could always put £1 on the fees to cover...

Someone ought to step up and take it on... anyone but LRE or Scrapiron...

"the LEZ has no effect what so ever, "

I'd assumed the reference to LEZ was with regard to vehicle emissions, meaning that non-compliant vehicles, of both visitors and sellers, would have to drive round the LEZ, or pay the fines.

As I said, I assume that's the principle on which LEZ has been quoted as a reason, though whether the hit on attendance caused by this will be 'no effect' or 'very significant' is another matter.

I don't live in that part of the country, but would assume (again) that anyone driving round the M25 would be outside the LEZ, so it would only blank off a small area of the country. Perhaps people living near Dover would disagree, and (Just thought) would this affect overseas visitors who ferry / tunnel across the Channel?

Whatever, we just have to wait and see.