NO SORTOUTS IN 2008

PaulMc

:(

"Bugger"

This was the ONLY LR event I bothered to regaulatly go to, (other than the local Capel one, which is small, friendly and grows a bit each year).

Agree with others the excuses are lame and not the true reason, else why damage a winning financial formuala ?. Old Sod has grown and grown to become THE LR Autojumble attracting visitors from forign parts and far flung every year, to mess about with this must mean far more to it than the garbage posted up.

A truly sad day, and even if they do what they are saying with more lcoal events it has to be a dilution of sellers and smaller events and less attractive, the real joy of Old Sod was the fact it was a 2x a year national event autojumble :(

Money and greed and prob stupidity will be at the bottom of it somewhere - RIP old Sodbury, and don't expect anything to match it for years to come most likley, there will be a selection of triers but most will be trying more to make a fast buck and grab what £££s they can than a proper attempt to repalce with something as good :(

Bugger :(

Nige

re 'The Sun' - Yes it was LROI

Me suspects it's probably some nanny state rulings that have made it less attractive to him to run it - e.g.

1) Told to employ proffesional traffic management or be held liable for any accidents as a result (similar thing happened a few years back at the Fairford International Air Tattoo)

2) Environmental issues about oil/bits of metal or other things left behind when we have all gone

3) Police intervention about the risk of stolen items being sold

4) Risk of death to all the inhabitants that live so close to the second busiest motorway in the UK due to excessive density of 4x4's in such a small area

5) Unlicensed group of scruffy looking people (think party/RAVE) - and the inability of the Police to issue that many ASBO's in a single day

6) Reluctance on his part to pay the tax for having so many happy people in one place at a single time.

:lol:

Whats the one in Capel like?

looks like i might be attending....

I've done the Capel one every year as a buyer and done well and know several others who have done well too. It's a small event so far and needs building up. It's down to all of us to turn out and help it grow. There's no other similar events in the area that I know of to find those project building parts, so let's see a few more faces at the next one, think it's usually the 1st weekend in June.

I agree this is a sad thing to happen to the LR (and vintage) community. I've been to every Sodbury so far and it's my favorite event of the year!

What will we do with all our broken junk now?

I've mailed Sue (Old Sod's Daughter) to ask what's up - I'll report back if I hear anything!

Still, from a more positive point of view, It will do the other events including Tom McGuigan's and Capel a lot of good.

I've (X-Eng that is) have signed up to go to Lllama's event in Welshpool. Although it's a long way from here - I felt that Wales is under represented Show wise and it was worth supporting.

The only trouble is that there just isn't enough time to go to all of them! If the Sodbury team decide to run a series of smaller regional events - the punters and traders will be spread even more thinly.

Only time will tell.

Si

From web site.

Please Note all Newbury Sortouts are cancelled for 2008 ..please join our mailing list for further information of NEW Venues and alternatives for 2008

Letters explaining should be with you soon

Updated 03.02.08

Regards "The Sortout Team"

I would be surprised to hear that is was a problem with the venue as one would have thought that, even if the April sortout had to be cancelled, there would be hope of finding a new venue for the October event. There is obviously something behind the cancellations which is a great shame. IMHO it is about the best event in the Landrover calendar.

Chris

Just spoken to the organisers.

They said that there were a whole lot of reasons including the venue double booking the site on that day (making it even more busy) - which just came together this year to make Newbury a bad choice.

They said that they are negotiating with other possible venues and that the Sodbury we all love will still be happening - just with the dates and venue to be announced in the next couple of weeks.

They said it's just the same as when they moved from the farm to Newbury - the location is less important than the organisation and ethos behind it.

.....which is good....!......

Si

I agree. They should have simply sorted out the new venue behind the scenes, then publicized that when it was all confirmed. It would have been so simple and would have avoided all the confusion and speculation.

Mike

If you're making suggestions for an alternative venue, how about the Hop Farm at Beltring?

If it can cope with the War & Peace show, it can cope with a sortout... and it's not that far from me :rolleyes:

Paul.

I am gutted about this :( Always my favourite events of the year and bloody typical the year I'm building my truck! :rolleyes::lol: Where else can you ring someone to ask where they are and get '...er... I'm near a Land Rover by the corner of the field' ?!

Keeping an eye on this thread for other options.