Xhaust mods for off-road

Aubrey

See in the magazines that a few of the hard core off-road challenge vehicles have the xhaust exit center of rear panel, above where a std. 90 xhaust exit? I can understand the danger of getting it pinched with a very steep departure but what are the dangers of getting water in there ...... stalling with an xhaust filled with muddy water could cost a a few bob?

From Africa

Aubrey

doesn't happen like that...

From what I understand and have seen in practice, the exhaust will always push the watery mud/gunge out of the way - there isn't a risk of it all getting sucked up because its a one way pipe as such.

If you get clay in it, you can pull it out manually or just let the engine fire it at some one instead.

:o)

the only problem with some of these exhausts is that the break some regulations for off road events, for example the AWDC doesn't like them because they are too high up and could cause injury to specatators or hedges etc...

hope this helps.

It depends how deep you go... If you stall in water up to the top of the wheels (say) it'll probably fill the exhaust pipe. When you crank the engine, all this water will be expelled, perhaps comedically. If the water's over the bonnet there's a chance some will drop into the cylinder with an exhaust valve open, but I can't see that most of it won't be pushed back out again straight away.

Either way, I don't see how the exhaust tailpipe height will affect this, unless you extend the pipe to snorkel level...

I think the factory tailpipe is rather vulnerable at one corner of the vehicle though, so mine now exits in the middle of the rear crossmember. There've been no problems with sucking exhaust back into the cab but my rear door is the only one on the car with seals...

If you have a diesel then it will keep going and then the water will not get up the exhaust. as the fumes will be coming out and pushing it out of the way. at the time of this my 90 had a standard exhaust. as you can see from the bubbles out of the rear corner. The exhaust is still working

See here what i mean vid

Fitted a Gwyn Lewis system last year. I took it for test four weeks later and it passed although the examiner said 'I'm not sure about the legalities of the exhaust' :huh:

Ahh but as i found out in the past legalities and the MOT have nothing to do with each other.

Example. It is not an MOT fail to have you tread sticking out of the side the arches of the car. But it is Illegal to drive on the road with tread out side the arches

I believe the exhaust has to exit a certain distance behind the rear-most opening window.

Thus most LR's would be fine. There is a possibility that a sliding window on a Hard Top might cause some consideration though.

I suspect that open top vehicles must be exempt from this.

Si