brake pad wear

I have just discovered that my 1996 110 has brake pad wear sensors fitted to it - never really noticed before, but the light on the dash comes on, and I did get that scraping noise you get when the pads are v low. But before I get on with changing the pads, does anyone know if the sensor works on the front axle, rear axle or both? Was kinda shocked to see the light come on, as I am sure half the dash lights are not connected - I know the handbrake one isnt!

Cheers

James

Hi

My landys the same i thought the P light was my parking brake but was wrong the sensors on the front as my rear brakes have shoes and these have been renewed don't know what side though but you should see the bullet connection when you take the wheel off :blink:

They are normally fitted to just one side (but front and back) on the assumption that brake wear is even on both sides.

The sensor is essentially a closed switch. Once the pads are worn away, the switch casing is broken and makes the contact that turns the light on.

Once the sensor has come on, it needs to be replaced - they are throw-away items. If your light is going on and off, it sounds more like a faulty switch than worn pads - they are either on or off.

I'm not sure Defenders were ever fitted with brakepad sensors, but the parking brake light does double as a warning for a low brake fluid level (at leadt on my TD5 it does). And when your pads are worn, it's not unusual to have the level drop below minimum as well, thus causing the light to go on.

I'm not sure Defenders were ever fitted with brakepad sensors, but the parking brake light does double as a warning for a low brake fluid level (at leadt on my TD5 it does). And when your pads are worn, it's not unusual to have the level drop below minimum as well, thus causing the light to go on.

I had sensors on my Rover P6 - 3500S, there was a cable embedded in the pad just in front of the backing plate and when the friction material wore down to the embedded cable it made a circuit and warning light came up on the instrument panel.

Definitely on the front cannot remember the rears. Would be a bit too high tech for Land Rover to fit? :rolleyes: Cable was all right for a road car but a bit too vulnerable for an off-road vehicle.

I had sensors on my Rover P6 - 3500S, there was a cable embedded in the pad just in front of the backing plate and when the friction material wore down to the embedded cable it made a circuit and warning light came up on the instrument panel.

Definitely on the front cannot remember the rears. Would be a bit too high tech for Land Rover to fit? :rolleyes: Cable was all right for a road car but a bit too vulnerable for an off-road vehicle.

Some (all?) Range Rover Classics were also fitted with those sensors, but I haven't seen them on a Defender or P38a.

The brake warning light is either for the PDWA or low fluid level, I've not seen anything in the wiring diagrams to say otherwise.

Sorry what is PDWA I'm a novice, i think maybe your right I thought the pads had a senor cable on a set I was ordering from Paddocks

PDWA = Pressure Differential Warning Actuator ..................this is a device that sits in the brake lines to warn you of a pressure loss (and to shut off the faulty circuit) in dual circuit brakes................

IIRC the defender caliper was also used the disco, so I guess there will be correctly fitting pads out there with the sensors and wires correctly moulded into the pad, however, I think this was not a feature used on UK defenders..................although maybe some ROW markets might require this feature..

Often the light flashing intermittently will be due to a faulty switch on the master cap ......................

:)

Ian

PDWA = Pressure Differential Warning Actuator ..................this is a device that sits in the brake lines to warn you of a pressure loss (and to shut off the faulty circuit) in dual circuit brakes................

IIRC the defender caliper was also used the disco, so I guess there will be correctly fitting pads out there with the sensors and wires correctly moulded into the pad, however, I think this was not a feature used on UK defenders..................although maybe some ROW markets might require this feature..

Often the light flashing intermittently will be due to a faulty switch on the master cap ......................

:)

Ian

Your right just checked not senor cable on pad on my 1985 2.5 diesel defender, I do have same problem I disconected master cylinder cables but didn't make any difference. The light comes on and flashes intermidiate and after a drive for a few miles goes out again but sometime comes on again. checked brake fluid but level ok and don't have a handbrake switch on this model either maybe the cable is earthing some where. any suggestion.

Cheers

Your right just checked not senor cable on pad on my 1985 2.5 diesel defender, I do have same problem I disconected master cylinder cables but didn't make any difference. The light comes on and flashes intermidiate and after a drive for a few miles goes out again but sometime comes on again. checked brake fluid but level ok and don't have a handbrake switch on this model either maybe the cable is earthing some where. any suggestion.

Cheers

Make sure the fluid level is just slightly below the neck of the fluid container, the float will flash the warning light if the level is low, should see 2 moulded lines & 'loe' 'high' on the sides of the fluid container, keep it at the high mark.that should stop the light flicking on/off