LT230 transfer box - new or recon?

I'm almost to the point in the build of my 110 where I'm going to have to decide whether to rebuild the LT230 myself, fit an Ashcrofts recon unit, or buy a new one from Paddocks.

The Ashcrofts recon one works out at around £450, but Paddocks are advertising new ones for £580 or thereabouts. The question therefore, is whether keeping my (working) LT230 is worth the £130-odd difference. As I've got another LR project on the horizon (which may have its transfer box missing), I'm quite keen to hang onto this one.

I realise that Ashcrofts fit a cross-drilled input gear (more info on this would be appreciated) which sorts out a known problem, so I'd have to deal with this myself. Are these available separately, or is it a DIY job? I have my own machine-shop, so can deal with most tasks.

Does anyone know anything about the ones Paddocks are advertising? If so, are they any good? I assume they're factory items, in which case they should be fine... Comments please! :)

Hi

yes you can buy a cross drilled input shaft. Ashcrofts may be able to sell you one.

last year i fitted a recon gear box i got mine from landy Ltd. cost me £350 there tranfer boxes were about the same price. i've had no problems with it and have done about 30,000miles since i fitted it. thay are alot cheaper than ashcroft thay priced me the cross drilled input shaft at £70.

hope this is some help.

tim

Hi

yes you can buy a cross drilled input shaft. Ashcrofts may be able to sell you one.

last year i fitted a recon gear box i got mine from landy Ltd. cost me £350 there tranfer boxes were about the same price. i've had no problems with it and have done about 30,000miles since i fitted it. thay are alot cheaper than ashcroft thay priced me the cross drilled input shaft at £70.

hope this is some help.

tim

Thanks Tim - I see that you're not that far from me! :)

If you have a machine shop I'd say you are more than capable of rebuilding the current one you have with no problems. A cross drilled gear can be bought for 40-50quid off ebay. A full set of bearing is only £75, seals and Gastkets £20.

I rebuilt mine and had no problems. Get it rebuilt, and save yourself a pile

If you have a machine shop I'd say you are more than capable of rebuilding the current one you have with no problems. A cross drilled gear can be bought for 40-50quid off ebay. A full set of bearing is only £75, seals and Gastkets £20.

I rebuilt mine and had no problems. Get it rebuilt, and save yourself a pile

Thank you for the positive slant - I've not looked inside it yet, so wasn't sure if rebuilding one would be straightforward. I have worked on exotic transmissions before (Ferrari racing transaxles and the like), so I'm not exactly helpless. I DO like good info though, hence referring to the LR font of knowledge that is this forum! :)

They are easy. The input gear, transfer gears and third diff/out shafts run on taper bearings, all you do is set the preload with shims (transfer with a crash tube). The 3rd diff has 4 bronze cupped shims that you might as well replace, other than that, easy peasy.

I am going through this at the moment as well, I have got hold of a second hand T-Box which seems to be good, no play in the shafts, but on removal the splines on the main shaft of the gearbox were , well gone :blink: This is been replaced this week but was wondering about fitting a cross drilled gear, how easy is this to fit in to the LT-230?

I am going through this at the moment as well, I have got hold of a second hand T-Box which seems to be good, no play in the shafts, but on removal the splines on the main shaft of the gearbox were , well gone :blink: This is been replaced this week but was wondering about fitting a cross drilled gear, how easy is this to fit in to the LT-230?

I've just bought a cross-drilled gear from Ashcroft - 45 quid, though the shipping was a bit.

Looks to be easy to fit; remove the PTO cover and bearing carrier. Remove the gear, remove the bearings from the gear and fit to the new gear, and refit.

I know that this can't be done on all 230s, only from suffix C onwards.

I've just bought a cross-drilled gear from Ashcroft - 45 quid, though the shipping was a bit.

Looks to be easy to fit; remove the PTO cover and bearing carrier. Remove the gear, remove the bearings from the gear and fit to the new gear, and refit.

I know that this can't be done on all 230s, only from suffix C onwards.

Thanks for that - very useful to know! :)

You can do it with older ones too - mine is a suffix A and I did it in-situ, because the early ones you can pull the intermediate shaft out from the back and drop the intermediate gears down to let it come out.

Depending what's wrong with it (if it's just bearings / shims) I'd buy the bits and rebuild it, they're really not complicated things. Failing that I'd go for Ashcrofts over Paddocks any day.

Theres a guy a long way from you in Dumfries. I found out about him by accident when i was thinking about doing my own gearbox and transfer box. He owns a shop on the white sands and repairs the boxes at home. Don't let this put you off cos he has done hundreds of them and seems to know exactly what he is talking about.

The thing about doing your own box is that you need to know all the common fault before you start.

If someone forgets to tell you just one os them common faults then the job is to do all over again.

He'll be happy to talk as he's that sort of guy. :rolleyes:

252 Spares,

32 Whitesands,

Dumfries

DG1 2RR

Tel: 01387 257252

Fax: 01387 250552

Email: david@252spares.co.uk