What are these

jules

Jules

Is it not an English Wheel. The 2 wheel that are on the floor end are the bits used. They sit in the vertical plane and you push-pull flat panels through them and it introduces a curve. If you watch American Chopper they use 1 for shaping the fender ( not being a biker not sure of it's UK name.) Seems like a lot of hard work but the results are nice

The one that isn't a guillotine is a wheeling machine for car panel work, wings, etc.

Look at a Frosts calalogue (web site) where you can see a man holding a panel in the machine. http://frost.resultspage.com/search?w=wheeling+machine

'Yours' looks in need of serious restoration, and judging by what's on the Frost's site is fairly light weight (motocycle mudguards?).

Initially I only looked at the top two results, scrolling down the page there are lighter weight versions for different actions, so 'English Wheel' may well be an exact description.

If you end up eBaying it you may need a close up photo of the forming wheels so potential buyers have a clearer idea of the shape that results.

Cheers

Both are really rusty and needs a good clean up.

I was tempted by then in classifieds but they are too far away. The guillotine is a sheer for cutting steel bar or maybe even short lengths of steel plate or sheet, the other is wheel for stretching steel sheet to induce a curve into them. The rollers on then need to be really smooth and polished otherwise they will just roll dents into the sheet. The wheels have a curved profile to them to ease the the sheet thinner where the wheels roll, this makes the sheet spread in a controlled way and so the sheet gets a little curve in it. Depending on how rusty the wheels are they may be beyond saving but new ones could be made on a lathe. I would recommend that they be remachined anyway to get the cleanest surface for use.

Both are really rusty and needs a good clean up.

I was tempted by then in classifieds but they are too far away. The guillotine is a sheer for cutting steel bar or maybe even short lengths of steel plate or sheet, the other is wheel for stretching steel sheet to induce a curve into them. The rollers on then need to be really smooth and polished otherwise they will just roll dents into the sheet. The wheels have a curved profile to them to ease the the sheet thinner where the wheels roll, this makes the sheet spread in a controlled way and so the sheet gets a little curve in it. Depending on how rusty the wheels are they may be beyond saving but new ones could be made on a lathe. I would recommend that they be remachined anyway to get the cleanest surface for use.

that guillotine would never cut steel bar or plate..

its only for thin sheet

What they said, the square frame jobber is an English wheel, and the other one is a hand shear / guillotine. They can cut bar etc too, capacity depends on size (that is, blade length, normally) and rigidity, but is usually surprising.

Sadly they both look pretty rusty. The useful parts on the English wheel are the rollers, and - since its for panel work, they need to be tip top and smooth. Since at least one of them will be a compound curve, machining to clean them up will probably not be cost effective...

Depending on the state of the hand shear blades, they might just need cleaning up or they might need hard-facing/regrinding / replacing. I would have been interested in the shear, but the condition puts me off. :(

Nice to find lying around though - got any more oddball tools you want rid of...? :D

Al.

English wheel;-) you been watching to many yank programs. Yes it's a small wheeling machine.

I have seen them that sort of size[i think they were homebuilt], designed for mobile work. There was a bloke near me, a copper smith, he had big old

cast iron wheeling machines in his workshop and smaller ones for on site work.

I have a bench knife exactly like that, set up spot on it will slice thru 1/4" plate. When you need more leverage

you put a length of scaffolding over the handle..

The condition isn't all that bad[the knife] mine got moved outside and sat there since 1989, it only cuts when it's

raining now;-)