New Online Magazine

istruggle2gate11

"Traybacking for challenge competitions was invented in the UK in 2007 ". I read the same article Dave ,LRW IIRC, It was complete tosh , It did make me laugh though , Martin Lewis was the first in 2002 , There was even a feature in TOR back then on Martins creation , I spoke with Martin for advice before building mine and that was in 2006 . :blink:

Many thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I must say we've been overwhelmed by the positive response. Makes it all worthwhile!! We were hampered with a few last minute technical issues that forced us to drop some pages but these have been sorted now. Future issues should be bigger and better!

Can I just ask the guys who are reading it on a PDA for some feedback? whether it's easy enough to read or if we need to change anything?

We're tinkering with file compression for the downloadable PDF to get the size down as much as possible but if you think its worth offering an additional version specifically for viewing on a PDA we may look into it. I might just go and 'borrow' my lad's PSP games console to see what it looks like on a small screen.

Thanks again

Simon

(Diff Mag Editor)

OK, with the PDA...

I took a look earlier while waiting for SWMBO's train to come in and was able to read the item about TATA, Fiat, Ford and Landrover/Jaguar. I had to magnify the item such that only one column fitted on the (landscape orientation) screen in order to read it - so, if you were to produce a PDA friendly version then making it only one column wide would be an advantage on the small screen. Not sure if that is easy or not...

When I went to look at the next item I got an page error and that was the end of play. I am not sure if that was the fault of Difflock, Adobe, ASUS (PDA maker), me, Microsoft or a combination... I have since restarted the PDA and it is OK now but there are some issues with the pictures overlapping the text where, I suspect, they are meant to wrap around the pictures.

If I think of anything else I will post up. Or if you have any specific questions about it I will do my best to answer.

Cheers

Chris

Many thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I must say we've been overwhelmed by the positive response. Makes it all worthwhile!! We were hampered with a few last minute technical issues that forced us to drop some pages but these have been sorted now. Future issues should be bigger and better!

Can I just ask the guys who are reading it on a PDA for some feedback? whether it's easy enough to read or if we need to change anything?

We're tinkering with file compression for the downloadable PDF to get the size down as much as possible but if you think its worth offering an additional version specifically for viewing on a PDA we may look into it. I might just go and 'borrow' my lad's PSP games console to see what it looks like on a small screen.

Thanks again

Simon

(Diff Mag Editor)

Simon,

On my pda (running windows mobile) it is quite hard to read, the columns need to be about the same as page 28, perhaps a little narrower. At 18mb it is probably too large for most mobile devices - more around the time to transfer rather than actual size. (My mobile phone does pdf's but the screen is far too small to be use reading text.)

For handheld devices pdas/ipods why not do a *.txt version? I think a maximum size of 4kb for ipods. Obviously text only limits the artistic content......

Good work, keep it up!

Mike

You have to lick your fingers first!

I tried that, but it still makes the noise. :( I also find the auto page-positioning feature very annoying...

I should say that these are meant to be constructive comments - I do a lot of publishing work myself (I wrote 10 books last year alone!), so know that user-feedback is important! :)

I found the Virtual Paper version a bit of a PITA - it didn't want to zoom to a sensible level (figured out how to do this afterwards - right click and adjust zoom level), then the download bar decided to stay open in front of the page (it did appear to have finished downloading - and it stayed up just displaying 0% even when I moved to other pages). I switched to the PDF version which was a lot easier to use (I'm reading on a standard PC screen, by the way). Image quality was much better with the PDF version too, but that's the payoff for the VP version being much faster to download.

The layout generally worked fine, except that articles and graphics that cross over between pages doesn't work that well in a digital format where you tend to only have one page visible at a time.

I guess if I was being picky I'd say that it could have used a proof read to knock a few typos on the head, but it didn't seem any worse than many of the printed mags.

The articles were interesting, the imagery stunning and the relative lack of ads was decidedly refreshing. All in it felt slick and professional, and more value than a lot of the (relatively expensive, these days) print mags.

When's the next one due? :)

When I used the online version, I was finding I was zooming in, but then the zoomed area was moving too quickly around the page as I explored. Then, when I changed pages, like Geoff said, it just got stuck at 0%. I had to zoom out, change pages again, then zoom in.

Nice articles though, nice to see the one about the Alps as I think we're going to the same region in August. Also nice not to see ads on every other page.