Tyre Pressures 34/35 inch Simexs

Hybrid_From_Hell

36x12s (I know I know almost the same thing)

30psi on the road (keeps em cool)

all the way down to 4psi in sloppy pooh but without beadlocks 7psi, run em low and break em in for a good bit so the sidewalls flex niceley otherwise they never get a good footprint.

Personally I dont think I will ever buy Simexs again (just to be cheery).

They just dont spread well enough and I cant get them big enough - I think in UK mud and forest work Simexs are cool, the 12 1/2s work well if you cut the outer 2 of the centre 3 rows of blocks out to let them clean better but footprint (my major obsession) isnt there with 'mexs and the sidewall even after substantial beating isnt pliable enough.

current build (name still under drunken debate) is going to run 39.5x18" boggers, the wifes car runs 10 1/2 'mexs but shes driving in different conditions. If I could get away with it I would be running 20" wide Terra all grips but the road speed restrictions are a little tricky and I would be up to a track width of 94" :(

My aim is to hit a ground pressure of 3psi of lower

Mouse will run Radial Trelleborg foresters but thats a different story :D

Jules -

ahh now you are talking - or a Hagglund BV but tracks arent allowed :(

3psi -I can do it, we have a new axle in build thats very light and very strong so will cope with the fatties (fingers, legs, intestines crossed) with the tyres it gives a footprint of 1296" so Im just over the 3psi threshold - time for a diet?!?!?!,

the drag is a good issue - only way I can sort that out on this years car is gearing, on mouse Im just going to chuck a bucket load of horsepower at it (LT6 time :) )

Now thats a cool toy - not sure the 12km/h top speed would cut the mustard though, no tracks permtted either :(

We've looked at running duals (against regs) bolt on drums (against regs) roller waffles (dont ask) netting (just makes a mess)

How are you getting on with ground anchors down there Bogbuster? we found they were good entertainment if you wanted to watch the navigator come surfing (whilst stood on it) towards the truck at speed but not a lot else - any breakthroughs greatfully received!

Edited by dollythelw

Suzuki Rino,

Rolls Royce Gnome helicopter gas turbine, 1800shp and a weight of 230kgs

Aluminum Portal axles to overcome the need for 5inch half shafts and the fact that the engine turns at 20.000rpm,

40" Boggers etc.

AND If you modify the exhaust to give vectored thrust you can either lift yourself up out of the bog or just ski over it :lol::lol::lol:

Or just dry the mud and drive out. :P

One of my guys just woke me up, Sorry :ph34r:

Lara.

Suzuki Rino,

Aluminum Portal axles to overcome the need for 5inch half shafts and the fact that the engine turns at 20.000rpm,

40" Boggers etc.

AND If you modify the exhaust to give vectored thrust you can either lift yourself up out of the bog or just ski over it :lol::lol::lol:

Or just dry the mud and drive out. :P

One of my guys just woke me up, Sorry :ph34r:

Lara.

Suzuki Rhino? do you think Im made of money?????????????????????

I wish I could work on your budget!! :D

gas turbine too juicy, (slightly worse than a V8?) - can you get megasquirt on it??

aluminium portals - nice if fragile, how about skis? or just have the wheels as unpowered rollers?

5" halfshafts ? it aint landrover baby!

I like the idea of the mobile barbeque - can you get afterburn on a Gnome?? :D

still cant do it - regs state 4x4 only (doesnt exclusively rule out turbine power.....)

I liked the icelandic approach though B)

Suzuki Rino,

40" Boggers etc.

AND If you modify the exhaust to give vectored thrust you can either lift yourself up out of the bog or just ski over it

Build me one while you're at it :lol::lol::lol::lol:

How are you getting on with ground anchors down there Bogbuster? we found they were good entertainment if you wanted to watch the navigator come surfing (whilst stood on it) towards the truck at speed but not a lot else - any breakthroughs greatfully received!

Yeah, I can surf myself as well, with the wireless remote :lol: Gotta be careful you don't fall off though :blink: and it only lasts until the back of the spade disappears out of sight anyway..... :(

Due to a number of other problems recently I've not made any progress on this but it really is a swings and roundabouts thing - I think the ultimate would be a KittyGripper design with a 3 foot by 3 foot spade and twice the thickness of metal in the arms but then you couldn't carry the damn thing and it wouldn't fit in the vehicle anyway :angry: my current plans include enlarging the current 11x22" spade to probably about 24x22" and 6mm steel not the standard 3mm (which will be far too weak at the increased width - it'll just fold in the middle) and see how that goes. But really, the answer is that I try not to get very very stuck unless there is somebody else around (i.e. look before you leap) because at the moment the winch can comfortably pull both my anchors out when chained together.

A top tip though: a SWB Pajero makes quite a good ground anchor if you can take one with you :P

Nigel will be along in a moment to drag this thread back on topic :ph34r:

Can you ping me some pics over please Bogbuster? was toying with big ally blades with steel reinforcement

Jim - there's spare seats mate for next year, pays your beer and keep and a punt towards the trucks fery costs and its yours - you can have a peek before you commit to 2007?? :blink:

sorry for the thread hijack <_<

Can you ping me some pics over please Bogbuster? was toying with big ally blades with steel reinforcement

I haven't made anything to picture yet! I did do one mod however, to stop the spade folding back on itself when the point hits a rock:

bg6.jpg

fixed!

fixed3.jpg

The rest is still at the "thoughts in the back of my mind/vague sketch of spade shape/wondering where I can nick a sheet of 6mm steel from" stage :wacko: i.e. I know I need it, I think I know roughly what I am going to do, but I haven't got round to doing anything about it yet

So many things fall into that category these days .... sigh :unsure:

Back on topic, Mo, I run about 22 to 25psi in my 265/75R16s I guess similar would work OK in 255s. The 33x12.50R15s seem happy enough down to about 20psi at steady speeds up to about 50mph (the sidewalls don't get too hot anyway) never go faster than that with the vehicle fully laden (partly as the speed limit is 40mph and partly because lots of weight on the roof, lots of speed, loose gravel roads and a crosswind don't mix)

Christ trev that be all over the road

Work it out. Done over 15K miles now. Yep bit dodgy under heavy breaking but that's down to lift and soft bushes more than tyres. General handling is fine and tyre wear better than others seems to get with Simex.