Ebay Hybrid

malpasman

About time one of the magazines had the trousers to address this really, people have SVA'd modded trucks and hybrids so it's entirely doable but none of them seem to want to go near the question.

Mind you, the law is a total ass for a lot of the SVA stuff so you're not a lot more legal post-SVA than you are beforehand, you've just got a bit of paper that says you're not likely to kill anyone with your truck.

A bit like the kit car boys who SVA their cars then remove all the ugly safety carp you're required to have for it.

Could be worse, the government could actually come up with something coherent and start enforcing it, then we'd all be in trouble :ph34r:

Yet another Q-plate in waiting. The Land Rover scene comes second only to the hot rod scene for car ID rule-bending. The future isn't looking good for things like this.

Mike

Don't forget the VW scene, it's rife with illegal vehicles esp. beach buggies!

About time one of the magazines had the trousers to address this really, people have SVA'd modded trucks and hybrids so it's entirely doable but none of them seem to want to go near the question.

Mind you, the law is a total ass for a lot of the SVA stuff so you're not a lot more legal post-SVA than you are beforehand, you've just got a bit of paper that says you're not likely to kill anyone with your truck.

A bit like the kit car boys who SVA their cars then remove all the ugly safety carp you're required to have for it.

Could be worse, the government could actually come up with something coherent and start enforcing it, then we'd all be in trouble :ph34r:

My favourite part of the SVA test is the extremely silly use of the dummy head that tests for contact with anything with too sharp a radius. When they start offering up to things in places where your head would never reach (unless it has come off), like up under the dashboard, is when the contempt starts to set in.

The last car I took for an SVA test was a Porsche Speedster replica. Due to the fact that the hood frame wouldn't pass the SVA test I took it off in the test centre when the testers were there. They passed it, then I put the hood frame back on and went on my way. Also, the fact that the whole car was based on a Beetle chassis that had been shortened by 10.75" and was therefore not 'original and unmodified' was completely overlooked. I'm not complaining about that, but it does show how inconsistent things are.

Regarding your last point, that is on its way right now! There is trouble right round the corner.

Mike

I see he has ended the auction.

An SVA should be very easy to get for this motor as long as the build is to a reasonable standard and he has the V5 for the disco base vehicle (with the chassis number visible). If the disco was scrapped or nicked then his hard work will have been in vain.

Looking at the engine bay I would be surprised if he had spent the last 18 months building it, it would be very hard to put the engine and panels in without rubbing some of the crud off the rocker covers or hoses.