DIY Morocco Trips. Bad Idea?

I'm just thinking about future Land Rover trips and I really like the idea of the Moroccan safari trips that I have read about.

Assuming that you have some common sense, is it a safe enough country to research and organize your own trip without ending up missing or dead, or is it best to stick with the organized trips, such as those offered by Trailmasters?

Mike

:)

I'm just thinking about future Land Rover trips and I really like the idea of the Moroccan safari trips that I have read about.

Assuming that you have some common sense, is it a safe enough country to research and organize your own trip without ending up missing or dead, or is it best to stick with the organized trips, such as those offered by Trailmasters?

Mike

:)

IMHO I think its as easy as driving to Spain, just a little further, its a very popular trip for 'bikers who travel lighter than us. I have been on two organised trips, one as a punter and the other as a "marshal" and once with some friends on our own trip. My preference is for to go along with friends, I would suggest a least one other truck, its a great adventure and I would love to go again, the first pleasure is the preparation and planning, the second is the trip, and the third is planning the next! As long as you sensible about things, no problems, the Morroccans are tourist friendly (its how a lot of them earn their living) and the frontier is nowhere as hard as it was, you wait till you see all the holiday homes in Marrachech!!! building every where. Safe trip. Best Regards Bill Westley

I drove 6000 miles through Morocco last summer with my wife in our disco td5 with roof top tent. Didn't do any preparation to the car, only serviced it before I took off. Normal all terrain tyres.

Not a single problem, only friendly people, although a lot of people ary trying to get money or presents from you.

We got off the tarmac a lot, only got a little scared once when whe got lost in the riff (?) mountains with very very narrow tracks, and all you could see around us where fields of marriuana with men with big rifles in it. We didn't dare to stop at first, but because we would have to ask directions we stopped eventually. Even the men with rifles where friendly and offered us some fruit.

I went on an organised trip to Morocco in aug 2006, if i went again we would go with some friends and not on an organised trip.

Its an easy place to travel, keep your wits about you, and don't leave your stuff unattended (standard advice for travelling anywhere, even in the UK)

you will get pestered by kids and people trying to sell you stuff... we did buy a few bits from people in the mountains and a bit further south as some of them have absolutly nothing.

If you want to do a bit of good take some pens, and a few odds and ends of kids clothes with you to give out, but make sure you give them to the people in tiny villages, who need it the most.....

Get your truck well serviced before you go, take a few spares, a camera and plenty of imodium... and enjoy... its a smashing place and 99% of the people are really nice....

Hi,

I have been to Morocco quite a few time’s, if this is your first time it won’t be your last as Morocco is a fantastic country to explore.

The entry is getting better but still needs a lot of work, best point to enter is from Ceuta (which is a Spanish enclave) from Algeciras, a fast ferry 45mins top. Make sure you take duplicate’s of your paper work and if your car is not registered to you a letter from the owner with permission of use, If you need Insurance you can buy at the border for a about £40 rules change but it use to be for a max of 10days you can get it for a longer period, also you can get Dirhams on the border. Tickets for the ferry can be got very easy on the dock side go down to where the ferries are and you will find a free car park you can pop in and get a ticket, ask for an open return if that is what you intend to do.

I personally can’t see the point in driving all that way and then head for Marrakesh, you can do that for a few hundred pounds and fly in, there are so many things to do Roman Ruins Volubilis is on the way to Meknes worth a stop, remember you will be traveling slower than say in the UK so allow time to travel (fuel is available almost every where) Meknes is a good 1st and last stop point with an Ibis Hotel or a reasonable camp site.

You need to plan your route, to save you time 10 plus days is a good time to spend in Morocco any less and you will be disappointed in how little you have done.

Thing worth the trouble to see, Erg Chebbi Dunes Merzouga, Zagora , Todra Gorge Daddes Gorge, Vally of the Rose’s, Fes, Cascades of Ouzoud, Ksar of Ait-Ben-Haddou, Archaeological Site of Volubilis, plus loads more read up and research it will be worth it.

If you do and you should have AA cover or similar and you do have need to use it, it won’t cover Morocco and don’t let on to them that you are going to or from Morocco or they won’t cover you. AFAIK.

Go for it.