Tubular or fold-down side steps?

Tubular or fold-down side steps?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• Tubular side steps is the only possible choice on a Def!
    • Fold-down side steps are signs of true believers in Def!

Happily driving a 07 Def for almost a year now, I am considering some enhancements for summer. The first one would be to finally equip the car with side steps to climb in.

Now, what is best? Long tubular steps ($$$) or simple fold-down steps ($) like in the one in the rear?

What do you say?

Happily driving a 07 Def for almost a year now, I am considering some enhancements for summer. The first one would be to finally equip the car with side steps to climb in.

Now, what is best? Long tubular steps ($$$) or simple fold-down steps ($) like in the one in the rear?

What do you say?

Err... I would say neither... Sorry if that is not helpful!- I would never have any form of steps (I have actually had to remove some from landrovers I have bought in the past!) They rob ground clearance, make the vehicle wider and generally get caught/ ripped off on things- obviously this would depend on what you use the vehicle for?- Might be an idea to let us know what you get up to with it?

Shrek

I've got the same problem, bought the truck last year already with 2" lift and big mud tyres - wasn't especially looking for either, but it was the best one I could find. It's fine for me (I'm 6'5") but the wife and kids have trouble mounting the beast!

I'm erring towards fold downs - I think they will come out lower so more practical and shouldn't rob the width too much when folded. Clearance would be reduced a bit, but to be honest I'm looking at minor greenlaning and the occasional pay & play, so not a major problem (I don't think), and they wouldn't be as bad as the adjustable tow-hitch that's already fitted anyway!

Hello all

Well I too got me a 07 landy, (had a series many moons ago), brought the XS version so came with tubular side steps. Now because i am setting up this truck to be a bit of a overland thing I took them off, and replaced them with rock / tree sliders. These are also quite usable for getting into the truck too.

However, the orginal tubular ones are good for using as a step, so if you need any then you know where to contact me ;)

Fold down steps take a hell of a pounding offroad, I had some on my 110 once, they do bend back into line fairly easily though.

I would go for tubular ones if I had to, find some that have a decent sturdy fixing though, as long as they aren't lower than the chassis you won't have too much off an issue with them offroad laning and the like, if you start doing winch challenges then they might get restrictive ;)

Will :)

id go for rock slider with tree sliders as mentioned above, just as good as steps and what im going to go for (no step currently fitted). they wont come lower than chassis and wont stick out further than wheel arches. just my opinion.

good luck :rolleyes:

It depends what your doing withb the vehicle, the long tubular type I have always removed(discos) (RR) as they tend to muck up your trousers(dress) esp when wet.

I have a full set of folding on the 110 CSW (original fit) they have lasted well and can be folded up or down to suit the agilty of the passengers, they dont stick out as far as the wheel arch flares so dont add any width.

I have bent one, ( it bent back quite easily), and that includes travelling in very hostile terrain over many years, but if you are going ''playing'' in deep mud then rocksliders seem to be the best idea JMHO

I've got the same problem, bought the truck last year already with 2" lift and big mud tyres - wasn't especially looking for either, but it was the best one I could find. It's fine for me (I'm 6'5") but the wife and kids have trouble mounting the beast!

That's pretty much my situation actually. Most of my off-roading is indeed "bad-roading" :lol: !

The height of the back seat is great to load our baby onto her special chair but to cling in, my wife is not so happy :P .

I don't think adding a step with greatly dimish the off-raod capacity, clearance is still quite high! So, besides clearance issues, what are the pros and cons of fold-down steps?

Hmm. Horses for courses.

I've always disliked the fold down ones - they get bent very easily.

I now have the standard 07 tubular ones and they're pretty handy. They do reduce ground clearance slightly - particularly the ramp break-over angle - but are just about the right height for assisting in and out.

You can other "bar steps" that aren't as low - some rock or tree sliders have them built in but it is a tradeoff between clearance and assistance (obviously the heigher they are the less assistance they offer).

I've bent my side steps enough on my 110 and only do gentle greenlaning and pay n' play days.

They've snagged on tree roots, rutted ground etc and always make a noise big enough to make you believe you've done serious damage underneath.

The last gentle greenlaning day we did a few weeks ago saw the two front steps bent beyond on-vehicle straightening methods. They also scratched my sills a little.

So, they've now been removed and Tom at Safari Equip has taken a few ££ off me for a pair of his galved and powder-coated tree sliders.

A friend has a pair of tubular side steps on his 90 and said that, ideally, they need to come off in exchange for tree-sliders, even with a 2" lift.