Gearbox noise

Hello all. You'll have to bare with me while i try to explain the noise. It's a harsh gringing sound which sends vibrations through the landy. It seems to do it in any gear but the noise will only stop once you have released the clutch pedal. You can take it out of gear but until you have released the clutch the noise is still there. And it doesen't do it all the time-most of it, about 9/10.It's a lt77 gearbox from a 1985ish range rover. Its fitted to 3.9 v8. Only just fitted gearbox but it seemed fine in the range rover. Any body any idea's. :unsure:

Thanks, Martin

Hello all. You'll have to bare with me while i try to explain the noise. It's a harsh gringing sound which sends vibrations through the landy. It seems to do it in any gear but the noise will only stop once you have released the clutch pedal. You can take it out of gear but until you have released the clutch the noise is still there. And it doesen't do it all the time-most of it, about 9/10.It's a lt77 gearbox from a 1985ish range rover. Its fitted to 3.9 v8. Only just fitted gearbox but it seemed fine in the range rover. Any body any idea's. :unsure:

Thanks, Martin

Thrust bearing (clutch)

Thrust bearing (clutch)

As ^^^^ almost certainly clutch release bearing on the way out. The bearing is only under load when the clutch pedal is pressed- when the pedal is up it has no load on it (also stops spinning) and so the noise goes.

Loads of info in the tech archive about how to change it- it is probably worth slotting in a new clutch whilst you are at it...

Shrek