What should i do to my Range rover next?

Ben Jordan

Am I right in thinking that the pip signal from Edis 8 could be connected directly to the coil pack/s, so without Megasquirt, a fixed 10° BTDC at all revs, all loads; with a strong spark would be better than no spark at all! :D :D :D

Has anybody got parts from bowler.fslife.co.uk? prices look as reasonable as Bill's / maybe a good source for bits he doesn't stock, too.

Am I right in thinking that the pip signal from Edis 8 could be connected directly to the coil pack/s, so without Megasquirt, a fixed 10° BTDC at all revs, all loads; with a strong spark would be better than no spark at all! :D :D :D

Has anybody got parts from bowler.fslife.co.uk? prices look as reasonable as Bill's / maybe a good source for bits he doesn't stock, too.

PIP doesn't go anywhere near the coils - it's the timing signal to the engine management system. I'll try and dig out an EDIS wiring diagram later, but essentially the EDIS controller takes an input from the crank position sensor and in the absence of a signal on the SAW line (from the engine management system to the EDIS controller) fires the coil pack trigger lines at 10degBTDC. So while you've got the detail confused you're right in principle, although the performance and economy with a fixed 10deg advance will be pretty miserable.

Hi Ben,

I'm running Megasquirt (no EDIS) on my '86 rangie... The install only took a couple of hours, but I had a bloomin saw wrist after all the wire crimping that needed doing! :ph34r::rolleyes:

As mentioned earlier, Fridge is the resident expert, he installed mine for me and got it running.

As for winches, I followed Luvvers advise and got the DV9000 on the front of my Rangie with a home made bumper. It worked well at the recent seven sisters event and I'm dead chuffed with it. If you are a bit tight like me and you don't mind having the Superwinch or Warn badge, then this is the one to go for.

Dan

PIP doesn't go anywhere near the coils - it's the timing signal to the engine management system. I'll try and dig out an EDIS wiring diagram later, but essentially the EDIS controller takes an input from the crank position sensor and in the absence of a signal on the SAW line (from the engine management system to the EDIS controller) fires the coil pack trigger lines at 10degBTDC. So while you've got the detail confused you're right in principle, although the performance and economy with a fixed 10deg advance will be pretty miserable.

right, I think that was what I was getting at, that it's possible for Edis 8 to activate the coil pack directly; that may be my intermediate stage.

as I understand it, worth keeping Edis in the loop when Megasquirt is eventually added, in case Megasquirt goes on the blink.