This months LRW magazine

Guest deleted

We do spend a fair bit on advertising, but I genuinely don't believe that is why the magazines wanted to run an article about our truck...

At least you've got a sense of humour :P I'll grant you the truck may well warrant a mention but if you believe the mags run features based solely on technical merit I want to know what you're smoking ;)

At least you've got a sense of humour :P I'll grant you the truck may well warrant a mention but if you believe the mags run features based solely on technical merit I want to know what you're smoking ;)

Fridge, how come whenever there's a post about mags or a mag article you post up and are a psuedo editorial expert when you never read the things???

We do spend a fair bit on advertising, but I genuinely don't believe that is why the magazines wanted to run an article about our truck...

Bet it did. It is all about keeping their customers (the advertisers) happy. And IMHO there is no shame in it either - for anyone.

I think that they felt it would be of interest to their readers... and I hope it was.

Of that I have no doubt. :)

Chris

Fridge, how come whenever there's a post about mags or a mag article you post up and are a psuedo editorial expert when you never read the things???

I regularly have a nose at the 4x4 section in the shops but every time I do I find the same old story. It disappoints me. Then my copy of Petersen's 4-Wheel lands on the doormat and proves that it's possible to do better. Practical Performance Car also shows them up for technical features.

I'm not asking them to be perfect, but getting a few basics right can't be so very hard?

Of course what with this being a discussion forum, this is just my opinion on the subject, some might say all the thousands of subscribers to the comics can't be wrong... :ph34r:

I tend to go along with fridge, these mags are now virtually comics, they are a vehicle for profit, generally staffed by journalists, rather than enthusiasts with genuine aquired knowledge , carrying lots of advertising. That seems to colour their objectivity. It becomes very apparent when reading them, ( I dont buy them since a long while ago) that a lot of the contributors probably got an NVQ in 4x4 etc. or were told youve got the job go and be a landrover enthusiast. I think they rely to a great extent on the ignorance of the reader, thinking this is how its done JMHO :rolleyes:

I often find the articles in Prima rather dull and not really relevant to me. The solution, I have found, is not to buy it. Instead I buy magazines that I do find interesting. (In fact that is currently none...) :) As a rule I do not spend my time whineing about how poor Prima is. Don't even get me started on Essentials...

Chris

Now now, don't go putting words in my mouth... I didn't say *solely*... I deal with the mags every week, (and have done so in a few different industries) so I know how the system works very well ;)

Advertisers are indeed customers of the magazines, but the magazines wouldn't exist for long without their consumers either. Chicken and egg stuff. At some point, you have to put content in that people will pay money to read.

I regularly have a nose at the 4x4 section in the shops but every time I do I find the same old story. It disappoints me. Then my copy of Petersen's 4-Wheel lands on the doormat and proves that it's possible to do better. Practical Performance Car also shows them up for technical features.

Fridge is right, these UK 4x4 mags are all full of really basic stuff. In Petersen's 4-Wheel every truck seems to have custom link suspension, coil overs and loads of other home made stuff. Same in PPC, seriously modified cars mostly done at home.

Why when so many people on this forum seem to be doing great things, does it not make it into any of the big mags? :angry:

Why when so many people on this forum seem to be doing great things, does it not make it into any of the big mags? :angry:

If you give the average punter a bit of knowledge, they all think they are engineering gods and we'd end up with four wheeled death traps on the road and competing in events.

Buzz.

If you give the average punter a bit of knowledge, they all think they are engineering gods and we'd end up with four wheeled death traps on the road and competing in events.

Buzz.

When you put it like that I see your point. Maybe it is better that the rich and (diplomatically put) less technically able can respond to the Scrapiron add in LRW and have a run-of-mill-90-with-all-the-bolt-on-gear built without trying to weld steering components, while we enlightened, poor, and only slightly more technically able, soles continue building odd creations in the dark corners of the country.

As for the American mags mentioned before, you only need to look on ebay.com to see some truely frightening creations built by people encouraged by articles on 'how to'.

Back to the original topic - does anybody know how to tell the difference between my Tdi and my Td5, I got them muddled up in the drive and tried to sort it out by looking in LRW only to get confussed... :blink:

Back to the original topic - does anybody know how to tell the difference between my Tdi and my Td5, I got them muddled up in the drive and tried to sort it out by looking in LRW only to get confussed...

count the glow plugs, one has four and the other has, no wait, it has four also :hysterical:

i see now how easily mixed up they are :blush:

Fridge is right

Cheque's in the post :D

Or you could explain to them how to do it properly and have people building a better standard of vehicle. You'd also have their mates take the p*ss if they bodge it, because the magazine has showed them the right way of doing it or explained why doing something is a bad idea. As has been mentioned, the mags aren't averse to bodging it to get something done, which is a sad state of affairs.

Yes the yanks build some horrible stuff, but then so do some UK guys. Just have a trawl through ebay for "bobtail", "tax exempt", "hybrid" etc. and you'll see the standard is just as high here.

You can tell the difference between your 300 and TD5 because one makes a nasty rattly noise and the othger.. no, hang on, this is harder than it looks, isn't it? :unsure:

You can tell the difference between your 300 and TD5 because one makes a nasty rattly noise and the othger.. no, hang on, this is harder than it looks, isn't it? :unsure:

Doesn't one have TD5 written on the wing or on the back somewhere? That would be a dead giveaway :ph34r:

Guest diesel_jim
Back to the original topic - does anybody know how to tell the difference between my Tdi and my Td5, I got them muddled up in the drive and tried to sort it out by looking in LRW only to get confussed... :blink:

Well, if you take a leaf out of LR oH's "10 bestest vehicles we've ever raved about" story, the Td5 will have about the same BHP as a 101 which seems to be the same as a 4.2 supercharged @300bhp odd! (yeah, i'm getting at the the fact they've made lots of typo's too)

to be honest, the only reason i contacted LRM is i really like their magazine, and wanted them to be aware of their mistakes.

LR oH is (IMO) just a monthly parts advert with a few odd stories licking LR's arse.

well the average worked on this forum is probably 8 hours.

There's a whole load of self employed people (like TJ101, Treebloke, etc etc) who probably push that average right up,

then there's the GBMUDs of the world, who average about a half hour a week :P (that' getting you back for the coment on my daren gap thread :D) and the army types who don't manage even that much as they seem to delude themselves that strapping 50kg of HE to a bridge and blowing it up counts as work (you know who you are walfy)

I'm employed, paid for an 11 hour day but I usually do 12. Sorry to sideslip the thread but there's a hell of a lot of us employed folk would love to work a nice cushty 40 hour week!

As for the thread:

1). Ginge runs a business. The 110 and the 90 are adverts for his business and as such are the pinacle of 'bolt on' simple thinking. That's what Ginge does and by God he does it well. The 110 is a simple, straight ofrward easy replicated off the shelf build, built well, it shows what an average driver can do in a moderately hard event that has good publicity. Fair do's to the guy.

2). Mags make mistakes and it's good when sad people like Jim write in to remind them. As a hack, I can't - stones/glasshouses - but lets face it the tech team at LRW is basically down to Big Bad Kev and JC (the Ed), both very experienced. Tor is down to Steve Taylor and Alan Kidd, LROi is Ex Garden Ornament Kev Mills. get the drift.

Mind you, Jim missed the corker fro, Mr Stuart in LRW a few weeks back - the 8274 is designed in the upright form to falicitate cooling of the winch motor! You learn something new every day.

Just as an aside don't forget that us sad, no life, know it alls are just a teeny weeny minority in the sales figures

I've now cancelled my subscripton to LROI (see what you made me do :P). I'll probably just pick one up at random the next time I'm looking for a part to buy, though generally the web is my friend :unsure:. I've only ever seen a couple of ideas that have been relevant to what I drive and what I do with it, so I'll probably just ask the wisened sages extremely competent yet unbiased folk on LR4x4 for their opinion...except that Fridge...he frightens me :ph34r:

Guest diesel_jim
Bloody slipping standards, it was LRW earlier in this thread, now LRM. Tut. :P

Chris

D'OH!! thats because the thread has drifted sooooooooo far off topic, i forgot what the hell i originally posted about! :blink::rolleyes::blink:

well the average worked on this forum is probably 8 hours.

There's a whole load of self employed people (like TJ101, Treebloke, etc etc) who probably push that average right up,

then there's the GBMUDs of the world, who average about a half hour a week :P (that' getting you back for the coment on my daren gap thread :D ) and the army types who don't manage even that much as they seem to delude themselves that strapping 50kg of HE to a bridge and blowing it up counts as work (you know who you are walfy)

50kg won't get you far Puggers and it'll take about 8-10 hrs to set a bridge up for demolition.

I actualy had to work Mon NIGHT!!!!! Went out and blew up 4.5kg of PE. Just to make noise and add realism to a course here. It was dark when I finished. Now that's not cricket is it!! :P

Guest diesel_jim
I actualy had to work Mon NIGHT!!!!! Went out and blew up 4.5kg of PE. Just to make noise and add realism to a course here. It was dark when I finished. Now that's not cricket is it!! :P

in my minds eye i'm imagining Mark wandering out in his dressing gown to the wheelie bins hear his place chucking in a stick of TNT and wandering off, muttering under his breath! :lol::lol::lol:

actually, more worrying is me thinking about mark in his dressing gown... :blink::blink::blink:

50kg won't get you far Puggers and it'll take about 8-10 hrs to set a bridge up for demolition.

that's NOT a job! that sounds far too much fun to be a job :lol:

I think I want your job :lol:

Swap it for two 12 hour days and two 12 hour nights in an office working for the Police?? <_<