Wiring a fan thermostat

Shackleton

Td5 conversion hurdle No. 5 - Viscous fan fouls coolant hose.

So I have to chop approx 2" off the diameter of the viscous unit but of course thats gonna seriously impact cooling ability, isn't it?

I've no money to be fitting expensive Kenlowe jobbies but I've managed to get my hands on a pair of air con fans from an RRC. I wanna wire them so they'll come on only at a pre determined temp.

Can anyone tell me what thermostat (like is there one where I can set to a specific temp), and how exactly to wire it, as in what to wire it to?

G

I'd fit one of these from X-Eng, even comes with a wiring diagram. You can get different temp switches if you so wish, they are standard intermotor parts.

However regarding the fans I don't think the RRC air con fans are very powerful, you might need something with a bit more puff.

Cool, I'll stick with the RRC fans for now, purely cause of time and mainly money restraints. I am gonna still use whats left of the viscous unit remember.

Thanks for the link, I'm a little confused though, which kit do I need? X-Fan and X-Switch?

Whats X-cap and do I need it. Also is the price decent? No offence Si! I'm genuinely asking, I mean it looks great and it might even save an inch on the viscous unit by virtue of making the hoses a little longer! but if there's something cheaper thats just as effective I'm kinda obliged to go for it, I'm not earning right now and am WAY over budget.

The pauper :ph34r:

Thanks for the link, I'm a little confused though, which kit do I need? X-Fan and X-Switch?

From my understanding you need an X-Fan Switch at £35

Whats X-cap and do I need it.

X-Cap at £8 is a replacement for the plastic plug at the top of the radiator that has been known to split...

Also is the price decent?

IMHO they are both a very decent price but - being penniless (like you) I have been hanging my nose over them while also trying (and failing) to think of a cheaper but as effective solution... Combine the X-Fan Switch with a couple of decent electric fans and you are getting up near to my monthly build budget in one hit...

But when you just look at it... Ooooh the anodic bling of it all :D

TwoSheds

Glad you understand, thought I might get flamed for saying that! That 39 is more like 65 to me... you're right though, looks quality.

Right so I don't need X-cap, I definately need X-Switch cause that does the business but then I need X-Fan too cause thats what the switch sits in yeah :huh:

Ah I'll give 'em a call later :lol:

£35 gets you the bling red or blue housing and the intermotor switch, that's all you really need. Another £5 get you an X-cap too, you don't 'need' an X-Cap, but a bit more bling to match the switch housing won't hurt B)

When Tim says "Mondeo twin aircon fans" I think he means the twin rad fans from a Mondeo with aircon. That's what I had in my 90 too, plenty of cooling. Aircon fans are generally more feeble than rad cooling fans.

Another vote for the Mondeo fans - cooled my V8 rangies very nicely.

To clarify - you need the twin fans and integral shround from a V6 Mondeo with Aircon. Not the current model shape, but the previousl one! Cheap as chips too.

Also is the price decent? No offence Si! I'm genuinely asking

I reckon it's the biz. The Kelowe thermostats are carp and leak. I had what I reckoned to be the next best thing; one from Famous Four. It's similar construction to Si's, but the thermostat is integrated into the pipe.

Coming back from Cork on Saturday and my fan starts up for no reason and won't stop, so it's now junk after 3 years.

I've an X-eng one sitting here for the sister's truck, that I'll now be robbing for my own truck :D

Comes with a separate thermostat and full wiring instructions for single or multiple fans.

I'll see if I can find them and post a picture up.