NAS lights

I have almost completed fitting them to The Beastie. Cutting out the shapes needed with jigsaw was tricky - and do wear safety glasses. At one point I could not lay my hands on mine - i.e. they were not under my nose - so went ahead and had a very lucky escape and a very sore eyelid for a week or so. Never realised near molten aluminium could be so hot!

I found using a dremel sanding disk worked quite well finishing off the jaggy edges. Also taking your time (not one of my strong points when actually started) is well worth it.

Very pleased with effect but I wish the quality of the bulb holders was rather better - mine were Wipac from Paddocks. Cheap as chips and it shows!!

Still have rear tail/stop to fit.

My next step is to put LED units in place of the bulbs once I have worked out if I need any extra bits to deal with voltage etc.

Well worth doing

Malcy

post-3029-1202758389_thumb.jpg

I think what Wildrover was getting at was that Bolt On Bits manufacture & sell a plinth which fits straight on without any modification to either the panelwork or the plinth itself.

I fitted NAS lights to my 90 back in 1990 and was happy to drill my nice new panelwork but I know there are many who would not want to do this and opt for re-shaping of the plinth instead (rather more time consuming and you have to be careful when trimming the material that you don't take too much off). What this firm have done is to manufacture a different plinth which alows the lights to bolt straight without carrying out either of these tasks.

I must say that had they been available 8-years ago I might have been tempted, they certainly look ok and the chap who manufactures them states that they are the same material & colour as the normal ones.

I guess you could buy a single unit and check it out? :blink:

"Very pleased with effect but I wish the quality of the bulb holders was rather better - mine were Wipac from Paddocks. Cheap as chips and it shows!! Still have rear tail/stop to fit. My next step is to put LED units in place of the bulbs once I have worked out if I need any extra bits to deal with voltage etc."

I am thinking of replacing mine with the all LED versions rather than just fitting LED replacements. The LED's cover the whole of the back-plate and have a fantastic light output, also there are no issues of poor fitting if you have the cheaper units.

Mine are genuine parts and so fitted perfectly but over the years a couple of bulb-holders have corroded however replacements are available from your franchised dealer for just over £1 each so no problems there.

There is no need for balast resistors when using LED's in place of the normal bulbs in the side/tail, indicator or fog lamps but you will need them for the indicators. Alternatively fit an electronic flasher relay.

Got any decent pics, Dan? The ones on the BOB adverts are rubbish. As I understand it, these things alter the position slightly when compared to the 'traditional' cut new holes method of fitting?

I've got a set of NAS lights in the garage ready to be fitted and could be tempted by these plinths before I start hacking things around - on the front at least.

I'll probably fit the rear by cutting the bodywork as they can be kept slightly more inboard that way. I've also got to fit new rear corner cappings at the same time, so a bit of extra faffing isn't a big deal :rolleyes:

We fitted NAS Lights , not easy to fit ; but have a problem with the leaf spring which contact the bulb . several

have snapped for no known reason , can only purchase complete unit in the UK . So ordered the bulb holder

via a American dealer who advertisers in a Landrover Magazine. Fast service via credit card , reasonable price

We fitted NAS Lights , not easy to fit ; but have a problem with the leaf spring which contact the bulb . several

have snapped for no known reason , can only purchase complete unit in the UK . So ordered the bulb holder

via a American dealer who advertisers in a Landrover Magazine. Fast service via credit card , reasonable price

that would be due to the wipac units being carp try lep bulb holders i binned the wipac and used the lep ones

dan

thanks for all the thoughts on the fitting of NAS lamps, now away to order a set of modified plinths and source the full LED lamp units, any you guys suggest a good supplier for the lamps

LED indicators: http://www.dun-bri.com/ShowDetails.asp?id=377

LED stop tail: http://www.dun-bri.com/showdetails.asp?id=391

LED side: They don't list one...

standard indicator: http://www.dun-bri.com/showdetails.asp?id=373

standard stop tail: http://www.dun-bri.com/ShowDetails.asp?id=390

standard side: http://www.dun-bri.com/showdetails.asp?id=288

I've been looking at these for the 200Tdi, however it suggests that with a car of that age i sill need to enlarge the holes, which is a pain and negates the use of these cleverly designed ones, might just as well fit standard NAS ones unless anyone knows different?

I stand to be corrected here as I fitted my NAS lights 8-years ago and at my age the old memory starts to play tricks but I am 99.999999% certain that the standard hole is fine and it just needs to be slotted to allow the lamps to be moved inboard slightly (to prevent overlap).

Of course there have always been a few people who just fitted the rear lamps to the standard position and allowed the overlap but in my opinion that just looks pants and made the lamps look very aftermarket whereas when fitted properly they blend in very well.

thanks for all the thoughts on the fitting of NAS lamps, now away to order a set of modified plinths and source the full LED lamp units, any you guys suggest a good supplier for the lamps

Hi

New to forum but have just bought defender and wanted to personalise it.

Liked the look of front NAS lights from Boltonbits on Ebay so bought a front set. 4 plinths, 4 lenses and 2 amber bulbs.

Bulbs didnt arrive and 10 days on still have not managed to get a reply from Boltonbits by phone or email. Definate lack of interest.

I would not buy from this company again

Sorry did not want 1st post to be negative but might prevent somebody else buying something they never receive.

Cheers Phil

Conversely, I ordered a set of four plinths via their ebay store last Wednesday and they arrived the very next day.

It's frustrating, I know, but don't hang a company based on just one transaction. There could be any number of reasons why they haven't responded.

Hey Guys - Us NAS guys have problems with the NAS lights holding moisture and creating problems. The lights look good, but LR had to come out with a special boot kit to try and seal them up. Even that didnt work well.

The hot set-up over here is to replace the NAS lights with the sealed Rubbolite model 837's - of UK manufacture. They are costly but excellent. There is only one stateside distributor for these lights, but I'm sure you guys could source them easily in the UK for more reasonable prices.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/LED.html

I have these lights on my 95 NAS, and I love them - they are a direct replacement for the NAS lens, fitting right into the stock plinth.