Rear fog light fix? (MOT fail point?)

HotRod

The rear fog lamp on my 90 doesn't work - partly as I've just found that the insides are broken (easy to fix) but also as there seems to be no live feed at the light.

I've pulled the switch and even with ignition on there seems to be no live feed to either wire in the terminal block (using a bulb touching to earth, assuming bolts & bulkhead etc earths back to ground). I've swapped fuses (6th from left, top row) & still nothing

Any ideas appreciated to check/fix the live supply

MOT very soon -will this fail? (1997 vehicle). If there was no fog light at all, would it fail for not having one?

thanks

all vehicles from the early 80's (IIRC) have to have a rear fog light by law. the rear fog only works when the headlamps are switched on dipped beam, have you tried that?

alternatively, run a fresh cable from the front to the back, earth the lamp and wire up through an illuminated switch that takes a live feed from the dip circuit. easy fix.

Right, Ignore ^^^^^^, with the side & dip beam on, the rear fog light should be lit, it should stay on when main beam switched on or off, rear fog should go out if it's own switch is selected off or dip beam is switched off, just played with my truck & found my left rear fog isn't working, have to cure that tomorrow.

Excellent advice, many thanks! Wiring was fine (the strange rocker switch is a push on/push off type I;ve never seen before, and you need headlights on..... quick swap over to a (slightly bodged for now) spare foglamp and I'm ready for MOT

LR4x4 to the rescue once again!

If it's a non latching switch like that you have a relay in the circuit, Land Rover bizzarely refer to it as a Rear Fog Guard Lamp ECU. Push to switch on, push to switch off plus it goes off with the ignition off. Didn't realise that until I did my new centre console and fitted wrong sort of switch! The ECU lives behind the instrument panel.

If it's a non latching switch like that you have a relay in the circuit, Land Rover bizzarely refer to it as a Rear Fog Guard Lamp ECU. Push to switch on, push to switch off plus it goes off with the ignition off. Didn't realise that until I did my new centre console and fitted wrong sort of switch! The ECU lives behind the instrument panel.

These modern Land Rovers are way too complex! I almost binned the switch as I thought it was worn out! Very clever the way it cuts out when you turn the headlights off, and has to be re-applied.

You'll have the wiring for it - there'll be a bull nose connector in the little box section behind the sidelamps. Most have the reverse lamp on the n/s but you can connect up a second fog lamp in its place.

(Useful point of law, if you only have one fog lamp, it has to be either on the midline or the o/s, not the n/s.)

Cheers

Blippie