Knackered lift pump???

Ben Spray

Hi All,

Defender 200tdi.

Done a search and think that I have a problem with my lift pump but jsut want to make sure, basically on a cold start up I get quite a lot of white smoke (has a very slight blue tinge too) searched back and this apparently can be water or unburnt diesel, Im not using any water and the oil levels etc seem fine and theres no mixing so I think the head gasket is all ok (will be changing it soon anyway due to another issue) - I think the smoke smells of diesel too...

What I have noticed though is that there is air getting into the filter, bled it all out the other day started ran it etc seemed a bit less smoke and seemed ok once warm again, left it for a couple of days and rechecked last night and there was air in the filter again - so Im wondering if its a knackered lift pump allowing drain back to the tank?? It starts first time every time but doesent sound that smooth until warmed up.

I will be going through the standard things too when I get around to it - basically previous owner overtightened an exhaust stud so I have to take the head off to get it helicoiled, while its off though I'll obviously decoke, valve stem seals, get the injectors tested etc. May also do the timing belt and check the timing etc is all ok.

Like I say it runs fine once warm, passed the emissions test on the MOT with something like a 0.4 on the smoke test which seemed ok? so cant see that there can be anything overly wrong with the engine as a whole???

Cheers

Ben

does sound like the lift pump isnt keeping up with supply if you dont have a full fuel filter.

quick test is to find a really long motorway hill and floor it up the entire length of the hill and see if you get a sudden drop in power as your consumption outstrips the pumps supply. Although this doesnt always work as the injection pump can often 'suck' enough fuel through without any help from the fuel pump.....

ive got a disco 200 tdi given to me because it kept on cutting out turned out being a filter/water separator on the drivers side just in front of the rear axle tucked right up near the body floor with a tiny split in the plastic pipe , when you do all your other bits run a new fuel rubber hose in place of the plastic stuff

Just had this on mine

smoked really bad especially on startup

check your engine oil if its going up and becoming really thin

then the diaphram in the lift pump is knackered and letting

diesel into the sump

new pump and an oil change should cure it

Nick

Great thanks guys, a few more bits to check then :-)

I'd totally forgotten about that little filter behind the fuel tank - better check that out too!

Cant do any road tests at the mo unfortunatly as Im waiting to find a new pair of calipers to get it through the MOT (see the wanted section lol) but last time I drove it I did feel that it wasnt as good as I would have expected on hills (even on small ones - no motorways etc round here to test) but once thats done I can do all the work and see what happens :-)

one more thing that made me suspect the lift pum is that the haynes says the manual primer thing should pretty much go solid once the air is out, well mine never does, guess that could be pump or a split line somewhere though.

Cheers

the haynes says the manual primer thing should pretty much go solid once the air is out, well mine never does, guess that could be pump or a split line somewhere though.

Has it already been mentioned that if the lift pump is on the cam, it won't prime?

Also, the lever can shear internally so that it does nothing, but the pump can still operate normally.

thanks, I assume its an all or nothing when its on the cam then?

mine will prime, ie bubbling fuel out of the bleed screw in the filter then squirts of fuel once full, lock that bleed screw off and pump a bit more but never get much resistance - not sure if thats normal, run the engine, leave it for a while, open the bleed screw again more air there again.

Think I will just do all the bits mentioned and see what happens :-)

Cheers

Ben

Has it already been mentioned that if the lift pump is on the cam, it won't prime?

Also, the lever can shear internally so that it does nothing, but the pump can still operate normally.