109 rear brakes

squire

Im having problems bleeding the rear brakes on my 109 (servo assisted).

I have fluid coming to all cylinders but still have to pump twice to get a good pedal which goes soft when released.

Ive checked for leaks and all is fine

If I clamp of the rear flexable pipe the pedal is prefect.

Ive pumped about 3 liters through it over the past month or so.

Any advise welcomed

I've always hated the series brake bleeding trauma. Mine is a remote servo so even more hassle.

Took me a long time to get a firm pedal, here's what I do:

Get some nice big clamps, remove the brake shoes all round and clamp up all the cylinders so they are as compressed as possible.

Bleed down at each of the cylinders.

Replace shoes/springs/drums. Tighten the shoes up fully on the adjusters so they lock off the drum, back them off until it's free to spin. Repeat for each drum.

If you still have to pump up the pedal, then it's worth checking the state of the adjusters (cheap but a bit awkward to replace) and fexi hoses (2 x front 1 x rear).

If all these are good, I'd look towards a fault in master cylinder or servo seals.

Good luck! :rolleyes:

I've always hated the series brake bleeding trauma. Mine is a remote servo so even more hassle.

Took me a long time to get a firm pedal, here's what I do:

Get some nice big clamps, remove the brake shoes all round and clamp up all the cylinders so they are as compressed as possible.

Bleed down at each of the cylinders.

Replace shoes/springs/drums. Tighten the shoes up fully on the adjusters so they lock off the drum, back them off until it's free to spin. Repeat for each drum.

Good luck! :rolleyes:

Strangest thing is that due to my portal boxes I had to mount the backing plates so that the wheel cylinders are in the 4 and 8 o'clock position left and right side, which should in theory be a real cow to bleed, but in practice they bleed up very quick and easy.On standard setups I used to adjust the brakes up hard on 3 wheels, and back the adjusters right off on the wheel I was bleeding .I found that the pistons moving out and in at their full stroke when pumping the pedal seemed to expell the air more quickly.

Bill.