Used Jap imports

BogMonster

OK, I know, so anybody who wanted to buy an ex Japan 8 or 10 year old used Pajero/Prado/Surf probably should be taken out and shot, but bear with me a moment please.... :ph34r:

Suppose somebody was so foolish to desert the Oval (and its not for me, my blood is still green thanks and the only Japanese things I own are a motorbike and a strimmer) where is a good place to source such things from? I imagine as with any sort of business there are places you'd happily deal with and places not to touch with a barge pole.

So, can anybody offer any opinions good or bad on any of these suppliers please? There's loads of them on the web but I know nothing about any of them. Looking for somebody that could be trusted to send a decent vehicle for an export order and not use it as an opportunity to unload some old tat that nobody who had seen it would even think of buying...

If it is something you don't want to post on an open forum (due to an ongoing legal dispute for example) please PM me

Particularly interested in Toyotas i.e. Prado (Landcruiser Colorado in the UK) & Hilux Surf (4Runner).

Many thanks

Stephen

I often take Jap imports in as p/xs. They are worthless compared to a UK model. Normally we send them straight to auction (BCA at Bedford or Brightwells).

How quick are you (or friend!) after something? I've not got anything like that on the go at the moment but that changes daily.

Jules, one reason: price. Ex Jap ones are dirt cheap to buy at trade prices.

Woodrow if you have anything in the near future bung me a PM pls, it's for a work related thing I am pursuing on instructions from above.

Anybody else please?

Ta

What's wrong with the Autotrader?

My wife's Isuzu Bighorn (Trooper Jap import) is faster, handles better, smoother, more reliable and far better built than the succession of Discos and Rangies she's had before. In fact, her 1994 Isuzu is way better than the 1998 Disco 300Tdi she was driving around in.

As you know, I love my Land Rovers, but don't start thinking there's nothing better for gawd sake! Half the fun of owning a Landie is putting it back together with better stuff when bits fall off it... but that's what you want from a weekend toy - not a daily driver.

Just thought to myself "wonder if there is a Toyota forum worth asking"

Found one -- what a hive of activity -- http://www.toyotaforum.co.uk/

Some of us need to go over there and wind them up a bit I think :D

A year online and HOW many posts?! :huh:

I especially like the gallery: "For all those Toyota Landcruiser's that dont go on the road all the time, offroad pictures only..."

....no posts.... :lol:

OK, I know, so anybody who wanted to buy an ex Japan 8 or 10 year old used Pajero/Prado/Surf probably should be taken out and shot, but bear with me a moment please.... :

SNIP

Stephen

I lurk here

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/

occasionally, perhaps a bit more activity (and certainly more than in the Freelander forum here, but that wouldn't be hard to beat)

By all means pop over to wind us up just as long as you don't mind us popping in here to do the same.

As for who makes best and most relaible 4x4's all I would say is check out this months issue of What Car (That is when it gets down to the South Atlantic in the next few months..... ;)

Yeah see what you mean snowing hard in Japan at 17 degrees and sunny japan weather :lol:

That's Tokyo though, basically central southern japan; showing 16°C today for instance, varying to 10°C for the 5 day forecast; see eg sapporo varying from 0° to 9° daytime, 2° to -2° nighttime, further north. wakkanai is possibly the japanese equivalent of "it's grim up north" :D

wakkanai's latitude 45.4° is similar to eg Lyons, although it's possibly relatively cold in later winter once the sea has cooled fully, without the gulf stream.

Yeah see what you mean snowing hard in Japan at 17 degrees and sunny japan weather :lol:

Where as the Uk UK :lol:

Yes Ali, I've been to Japan several times and have experienced the weather through the seasons first hand, something that the BBC weather can't give.

How long did you spend in Japan? Perhaps we could compare notes. :)

Mo :)

Edited by Mo Murphy

>> jap stuff is no more reliable than green oval products.

It is in my experience. See my earlier post in this thread.. 1994 Isuzu Trooper.. hate to say it, but far, far better than our previous 1998 Disco, my 1994 Rangie Tdi/Auto and 2 previous 1992 Tdi Disco's.

Some parts are more expensive than LR but service items aren't... and besides, Jap stuff doesn't go wrong so often. I've had to replace starter motors, alternators, diff's, halfshafts, PAS pumps, water pump gaskets, door locks, alpine window seals etc on the Tdi Discos/Rangies we've owned.

All I've had to replace on wifey's Isuzu is the fuel in the tank!

Edited by SimonPearson

I think the Jap stuff is more reliable - you can get good ones and bad ones, like anything, but comparing 10 yr old Toyota with 10 yr old Discovery....

They probably go wrong 1/3 as often and the bits probably cost 3x as much ... so as a long term ownership prospect there probably isn't too much in it.

I think the Jap stuff is more reliable - you can get good ones and bad ones, like anything, but comparing 10 yr old Toyota with 10 yr old Discovery....

They probably go wrong 1/3 as often and the bits probably cost 3x as much ... so as a long term ownership prospect there probably isn't too much in it.

Unless you value your time - you'll spend about a third as many weekends fixing it in the rain...