Darien Gap

pugwash

When I was doing my middle year back in the dark ages, I worked at a Botanical Garden in London. Six weeks of my 'year' was spent collecting Bromeliads and ferns in South America. Great place, been back a few times. Columbia, Patagonia, Argentinia, Peru, Panama, Chile, Belize, Guatemala et al. I have stood and looked at the Darien from both sides and flown over part of it; read the books, got the maps, checked out the CIA website. Scares the poo out of me! But I would be up for it.

Due to Banditos and the possibility of stumbling upon the drug smuggling route, a small expedition without armed security would probably disappear without trace.

Bill.

Uncle Bill has pretty much nailed it. All other issues aside, it is highly unlikely that either the Panamanian or Colombian authorities would sanction the trip. I had a chat with the Panamanian Ambassador to the UN about this some two years ago and with the Colombian Minister of the Interior in late 2006. Both of them were highly amused with my even contemplating travel in the area and the Colombian Minister suggested, only somewhat playfully I thought, that if the FARC didn't get me, the Colombian Army most definitely would....

But other than that, it's a great Vapour Expedition!

There are several companys round the world that are developing smart mines. In that they recognise friendly forces and turn themselves off and then when they have passed they re-arm themselves. But we are years from that being 100% reliable.

F*** that!!!! i would not want to walk over that mine no matter who told me it will recognise me and turn off, you gotta have some trust in technology for that!!

Lets see how you get on with a Europe trip first eh? :P After the first one you might consider refineing your camping kit...

Chris

PMSL

the chances of getting kidnapped and murdered are still pretty low and not many people are going to kidnap anyone in a battered land rover thats the size of me!

^^^ too true, they need an artic to take you away

Mo, sounds like a great idea.

the darien gap isn't something that could be contemplated for a year or two anyway and it would need some pretty special planning and logistics to do it.

Driving 1400 miles to transylvania to get some experience would a fun way to get started though- as would running ladoga once or twice!

Puggy are you serious a year or two - hows the vapour build going anyway

Good ideas, good discussion, chance of happening.......

Puggy are you serious a year or two - hows the vapour build going anyway

Good ideas, good discussion, chance of happening.......

i can always count on you for a positive outlook :P

To clarfiy i wouldn't even contemplate thinking about starting to plan something major like the Darien Gap for at least another year or two- so that's at least 3-4 years at the earliest that something might happen. Clear now Mr Grumpy?

Puggers

Don't listen them all. They're just jealous they didn't think of it. A nice trip into Europe should be a good tester to see your organising skills and ability to bring it all together before the big trip. I hope you do go and prove them all wrong for doubting you.

a good tester to see your organising skills and ability to bring it all together before the big trip. I hope you do go and prove them all wrong for doubting you.

errrrr I some how doubt it, but i await with baited breath!

Fantastic reading guys!

Gotta say though Darian really is a bit much, I take it back, if I wanna spend 95 days getting tortured 'agriculturally' I'll get myself a shetland pony and a hand plough.

The other thing you've done is make me feel very girlie with my impending European adventure.

errrrr I some how doubt it, but i await with baited breath!

this coming from the bloke who unerringly went the wrong way at every turn last time we went to Europe?

don't feel Girlie it's very easy to get yourself into trouble in Europe- JST managed it almost every day last time.

As I commented to you yesterday, I would have no hesitation in taking the Puma. Tim never had any real concerns about damaging the Sport so a 90 should be OK. He did get a puncture though on his "Barbie goes to the racetrack" sports low profile tyres. :(

Chris

Somebody owes me a new keyboard :lol:

I think this conversation should carry on from here ................. you were saying Tim ?

:)

Ian

Somebody owes me a new keyboard :lol:

I think this conversation should carry on from here ................. you were saying Tim ?

:)

Ian

To put the record straight, the ""Barbie goes to the racetrack" Sport did not get a puncture !! just a nick in the sidewall, which was down to following Chris up a quickly disappearing track in Andorra !! So its his fault :P but was expected, that's why a couple of spares were taken with us !!

And the reference to the Puma, was whether Walfy's std Defender was up to a similar trip

Oh,, and one small point,, Chris certainly did not look like Ken, when he last drover the G4 !!! :lol:

To put the record straight, the ""Barbie goes to the racetrack" Sport did not get a puncture !! just a nick in the sidewall, which was down to following Chris up a quickly disappearing track in Andorra !! So its his fault :P but was expected, that's why a couple of spares were taken with us !!

I beg your pardon, I am reminded now that it was indeed merely sidewall damage and did not deflate. That track looked like it had promise though. :)

And the 'Barbie goes to the racetrack' comment was really aimed at the unsuitable tyres rather than the car - although now it has been mentioned... :D:D:D

Chris

Oh,, and one small point,, Chris certainly did not look like Ken, when he last drover the G4 !!! :lol:

Oh, I don't know, if you got the sun behind him, covered your eyes and squinted hard you could probably just make out a passing resemblance :) but then again, maybe not ;)

Mo

Oh, I don't know, if you got the sun behind him, covered your eyes and squinted hard you could probably just make out a passing resemblance :) but then again, maybe not ;)

Mo

Eh? Mo, you stopped taking your medication again...? :blink:

Chris look like Barbies Ken? No chance, now Puggers on the other hand......... :unsure:

Where are you going Shackleton ?

Mo

Kinda Europe generally :ph34r: I'm not being covert, it's just the whole point from the start was that there was no schedule/itinerary. But anyway after many changes in plan mainly due to being still in Ireland I'm heading for Greece first where I have free accomodation in proximity to some good snowboarding and kite surfing. After that I'm going 'discover' some new surfing spots on the Peloponnese coast.

Then I'll make my way back via Europes coast surfing my way up, the only tangent being I'll try (meagre funds allowing) and get to Sardinia on the way - great, and little known surfing destination and seemingly quite rugged in terrain too.

Speaking of which I won't be getting myself into 'winch' situations - cause I don't got one but I'll be spending most of my time scouting for that perfect beach break, hence my having the Range Rover in the first place.

Just ordered what I hope is the last of parts needed - swivel kits and I'm off in a few weeks. TOUCH WOOD :rolleyes:

George

Having read the articles on the Darien gap crossing a number of times i have a few questions:

Opinions are sought on the following:

1. Would anybody else like to do it as a trip of a lifetime?

2. How much backup would be realistically needed? is it achievable (without seriusly risking life) without manufacturer/corporate support?

3. Would a challenge truck be significantly more effective than the range rover that last did it?

4. How long would it realistically take to prepare and achieve?

Blimey Jim, I know you like to organise, but you're only picking up a bonnet from half a county away. [projectblue mutters to self 'wonder why it was taking so long']

:lol::lol: not really a long trip Bill Not even as far as from your house to mine :lol::lol:

Brisbane to melbourne is about 1700 k's It is only 1400k's from the top of the uk to the bottom

I was only joking about the South to North Britain expedition Ali. The point is, probably many 4wd enthusiasts all over the world have had a life long dream/ambition to do the Darien.I have since Iwas 11 years old. The fact is, it was doable back in the 60's by a small group of fit enthusiastic individuals in properly equipped and prepared vehicles without murderous external forces ruining their day. Sadly it aint now. :angry:

There probably are numerous places around the world where a trip could be mapped out that would provide a similar challenge re distance and degree of difficulty without the risk of being shot or kidnapped. I've often thought doing Cape York from the western side of the Peninsula would be a hoot for example. Could you do a quick run up there over the week end to check it out for me mate? ;)

Bill.

I've often thought doing Cape York from the western side of the Peninsula would be a hoot for example. Could you do a quick run up there over the week end to check it out for me mate? ;)

Bill.

Yeah ok, got a couple of hours free on Sunday to pop up there :lol::lol::lol: