TD5 misfire

skid

Hi all this my 1st post....

I have 52 black double cad ltd with 64k on clock full service history and only had it 2 weeks.

Not checked it out properly yet but was told had Jeremy Faern remap ecu and larger intercooler and adjustments done. It is very powerfull and pulls like a train in any gear even up hill, am very pleased!!! 3 times more power than my old 200tdi play tool..

Took for 100 mile run yesterday and didnt miss a beat doing constant 70 untill after getting caught in traffic and then picking pace up too 85 for 20 mins or so. Felt smoother at this speed transmission wise pos wheel balance etc but obvisiously noisier. When quite loud bang followed by miss running and temp gauge needle shooting from where always sits to off hot side and flicking back and fourth for 5 seconds or more... I slowed right down too 50 needle went back too normal position engine ran as should again. I waited till had chance to stop as was on M25 then checked engine for any obvious trouble, water and oil as should be. Continued on and 4hrs later done return 100 mile journey at 75 with no mishaps..

Any ideas as would like to know what caused short foul running and needle flicking..

Any ideas would be great..

Cheers Skid

Start with the simple .. Is something hanging off .. Has something got a charred burning look to it ..

Check you alternator/ voltage regulator properly. High revs for long time means higher alternator voltage and heat for longer time. Can lead to electrical insulation break down thus componant temp fail and fault that you describe. As the TD5 is full of all electronic gadgets, all sorts can happen. Not a nice fault at all :ph34r:

In short.. get your Tdi back. I wouldn't trade mine even for shiney paint. :o

sorry .... Welcome ;)

Welcome to the forum Skid...

First thing to check.

With the ignition off, remove the drivers seat base and seat box panel.... then unplug the red plug from the ECU.

Is it covered in oil??

This is one of the most commom problem areas on a Td5 and can cause the problems mentioned. The fix is relatively inexpensive and easy to do.

Ian

Welcome to the forum Skid...

First thing to check.

With the ignition off, remove the drivers seat base and seat box panel.... then unplug the red plug from the ECU.

Is it covered in oil??

This is one of the most commom problem areas on a Td5 and can cause the problems mentioned. The fix is relatively inexpensive and easy to do.

Ian

Hi, does the ecu have black and red connectors? Red connector no oil at all and outer sleeve of the bunch of wires is cut back...how would oil travel down? the sleeve or the wires?

In short.. get your Tdi back. I wouldn't trade mine even for shiney paint.

I like my Td5 so much, Im thinking of getting rid of the V8 monster and getting another TD5 and or a TD5 disco.

If you have only had it two weeks, did it come from dealer or was it private?

Also if it has the fearn goodies, why not take it to them for a once over? might be cheaper in the long run.

IMHO the oily ECU things affected mainly earlier vehicles (might be wrong on this, but My 2002MY has not been affected with this.

I find my 110 is particular on the diesel, had two fill ups at a well known supermarket and it ran like a dog, then when I thought it was about to croak (poor running, even cut out twice) a fill up at a total garage mad it run like properly again.

I like my Td5 so much, Im thinking of getting rid of the V8 monster and getting another TD5 and or a TD5 disco.

If you have only had it two weeks, did it come from dealer or was it private?

Also if it has the fearn goodies, why not take it to them for a once over? might be cheaper in the long run.

IMHO the oily ECU things affected mainly earlier vehicles (might be wrong on this, but My 2002MY has not been affected with this.

I find my 110 is particular on the diesel, had two fill ups at a well known supermarket and it ran like a dog, then when I thought it was about to croak (poor running, even cut out twice) a fill up at a total garage mad it run like properly again.

Hi, i think your right about how good they are i bought it private. Runs really well again now but would just like to know why it done it and if i travel along at 85 again which it done with no effort at all is it going to harm something. Wondering if because its got cat fitted on down pipe if thats causing trouble as i must have loads more pressure or maybe egr valve restricting too much and that was the loud bang and then foul running briefly..

Cheers

got cat fitted on down pipe if thats causing trouble as i must have loads more pressure or maybe egr valve restricting too much

Don't know whether they would have been cause but do your engine a favour and ditch both of them :lol:

Find someone with testbook or nanocom and get faults read, something should show up if engine misses that badly.

check if the transferbox or gearbox was not removed for some reason and some people dont secure the main engine harnas/bunch of electrical wires running from the red plug of the ecu and then it lays on the hand brake/emergansy brake drum and chafes through and starts to short out causing hvoc

Assuming you are running 32 inch tyres with std diffs and your transfer box is 1:410, the 85mph in 5th = 3437 rpm ............. if your transfer box is 1.222 then 85mph in 5th = 2980 rpm.........

:)

Ian

Interesting.. label has come off transfer box but had thought it is 1:410 as defender. Would you think 1:222 would be better than gkn overdrive?

Any ideas on engine issuse?