Brakes DII

Anglo-Frenchman

Hi,

Today I changed the front discs and pads on my newly acquired 2002 Disco. At the last French MOT the tester told the previous owner that they needed doing and although not a fail, they looked pretty sorry for themselves with much wear to the discs. When I picked up the parts at a local independent supplier I was told that this is a common feature on the DII and due to the ETC. Is this correct in anyone's experience?

Incidentally for anyone travelling over to or through France I can highly recommend these people http://www.landroverclub.net/data/90_100_prix.htm and are owned and run by a Dutch lady who speaks very good english. Good prices and very helpful.

Ged

Hi,

Today I changed the front discs and pads on my newly acquired 2002 Disco. At the last French MOT the tester told the previous owner that they needed doing and although not a fail, they looked pretty sorry for themselves with much wear to the discs. When I picked up the parts at a local independent supplier I was told that this is a common feature on the DII and due to the ETC. Is this correct in anyone's experience?

Incidentally for anyone travelling over to or through France I can highly recommend these people http://www.landroverclub.net/data/90_100_prix.htm and are owned and run by a Dutch lady who speaks very good english. Good prices and very helpful.

Ged

Ged,

I've not noticed an overly excessive wear in discs with mine, although having said that I'm changing front and rear pads this weekend. The rear pads were changed only 18k (a year) ago.

Dave

YEs the D2 discs often don't last as long as you would expect from older models. Not sure but I guess the pad compound is harder - the pads last longer than the old ones. It's more noticeable on autos. Mine are quite worn at about 37k miles but some life left in them yet - I guess I'll be looking at changing them at around 50k.

i've been told D2's do have a habit of eating disks - its a bit heavy motor with a fair bit of power and speed compared to an old tdi disco.

just had the disks and pads changed on the wifes d2 as they were getting a bit ropey.

it has done 105k miles and according to the service book, it had new disks at 55k miles. So thats new disks every 50k....