Which lift kit for road use??

Strega

Hi guys, I want to fit a lift kit to my new rangy, it will be driven mainly on the road so the height is purely cosmetic!! I have just seen in a Landrover mag

a 3" lift kit for £322 that looks quite good but does not have any castor correction arms. Would this be a big problem for me? There is however a 2" lift kit advertised for £581 that does have all the correction arms. Am V confused!! Any advice would be great.

:huh:

For road 3"???

Do you want your car to be driveable?

Just don't be fooled by glossy mags and pictures of orange, yellow or blue springs.

If mainly road use fit ordinary black LR with a hint of colour boingy Policespec things.

And get a set of decent shocks, Bilstein, Koni, etc.

This will give you a nice balance between lift and road driveability.

I want a lift purely for cosmetic reasons, I probably won't be going faster than about 60 mph in it anyway as is just a toy. I like the look of about a 4" lift but that would probably throw up a lot of other issues. I can appreciate that to most of you this may sound odd as you probably own your rangies for off roading and cosmetics probably don't count for much!!!

Reasons Not to do a lift

• Alter the centre of gravity hugely
  • Screws up the caster axle
  • Changes Braking behaviour
  • Throws Props at both shaky and increased wear angles
  • Probs need often to be lengthed
  • LOTS of things need lengthening - more than you can think of
  • Chnages steering behaviiour and reactions

If a lift is not done well, with tyres to suit springs to suit props altered, caster corrections arms and a shed load more you end up with a unstable shed with the handling and safety of a jelly on ice - they can also look absolutely bl**dy awful too.

I would serious suggest you look carefully at options, Jules here has a RR and with the work done on it - superb, many do not get even close to this mark, let alone hit it.

Nige

Reasons Not to do a lift

• Alter the centre of gravity hugely
  • Screws up the caster axle
  • Changes Braking behaviour
  • Throws Props at both shaky and increased wear angles
  • Probs need often to be lengthed
  • LOTS of things need lengthening - more than you can think of
  • Chnages steering behaviiour and reactions

If a lift is not done well, with tyres to suit springs to suit props altered, caster corrections arms and a shed load more you end up with a unstable shed with the handling and safety of a jelly on ice - they can also look absolutely bl**dy awful too.

I would serious suggest you look carefully at options, Jules here has a RR and with the work done on it - superb, many do not get even close to this mark, let alone hit it.

Nige

Thanks for the info Nige

I am definatley fitting a lift kit despite everyone seeming to say no!!

Which suspension does Jules use? One of the kits I have seen comes with all the castor correction bars and is a 2" lift which will do I guess as I don't want huge issues. Bigfoot will have to wait!!!

What differences are there between a Rangy lift and a disco lift? I have driven in one of those with a 2" lift and had no issues at all, brakes were great, handling was cool and I did not seem to get any arguments from the drivetrain!

Other option..... body lift?

Relatively simple for the amount of lift you are looking at, just need to extend a few things, but could have the whole lot done for around £250, you could go almost as high as you like then... within reason.... and not upset your steering geometry at all.

Do a search on here, there loads of info about body lifts etc.

HTH,

Bowie.

I borrowed them off my kit car!! I think a 4" lift would be a minimum for such big tyres and you would also need arch extensions. It would look cool though!!!

2" lift and 1" body lift and my 35's fit just fine! i would say i wouldnt need the body lift and they'd still fit!

post-312-1203070591_thumb.jpg

post-312-1203070523_thumb.jpg

This is a 2" OME shock and spring lift kit

And a 2" body lift

The handling is compromised but mainly bown to its tyres but 4" spring lift is much worse.

That looks lovely and just about the look I am after. I have read about body lifts but was always put off by the fact the bumpers don't look right as they stay with chassis!! How did you get round this. And what material did you use for the lift? I have seen some poly and some steel.

That looks lovely and just about the look I am after. I have read about body lifts but was always put off by the fact the bumpers don't look right as they stay with chassis!! How did you get round this. And what material did you use for the lift? I have seen some poly and some steel.

The Bearmach kit deals with front bumper but not the rear

the kit also deals with the hoses as well.

I have QT 3deg front arms and Jez's rear arms but I use it off road mainly as a toy.

It would look all out of proportion and there carp on the motorway unless you like getting overtaken constantly by 56mph lorry's :lol: other wise all your teeth will fall out.

Yeah, but he did say it was just for looks. :lol: :lol:

A suspension (springs) lift kit on its own will make it feel like a boat on any bends i would have thought - far better to lift the body off the axles and maybe 1" on the springs. As already mentioned the additional angles put on the propshafts and axle trailing arms will need to be adressed, mainly the trailing arms as the bushes will not like the increased angles.

My opinion only, but when i see any vehicle obviously lifted up higher than standard i tend to think of all those Toyota pick up trucks with skinny axles that used to be modded here back in the early nineties (usually accompanied with Weller 8 spokes - naff) when 'BIG FOOT' in the USA was all the rage.

White-sock image?

A raised Rangie done in proportion should look pretty tastey but has to be proportional i think. I have 235 width tyres on mine instead of 205 and that alone makes a difference in its 'stance'

It all depends on what you want from the kit and who you buy from I always think.

If you go to Paddocks for instance and ask for a 2" lift, you will not be asked what use you are putting the vehicle to. I have OME on my Disco and it is a road set, so it's stiffer than std as well as taller. It corners like a sports car, believe me, but off road it won't ride like my RR will. However on raod my RR with it's Pro Comp 2" lift is like riding an atlantic storm it's that soft.

These bright yellow springs that everyone seems to be fitting (Britpart I think) seem to be rock hard to start with, but after 6 months use have sagged so much they are having to be replaced. That's the word n the street anyhow.

It all depends on what you want from the kit and who you buy from I always think.

If you go to Paddocks for instance and ask for a 2" lift, you will not be asked what use you are putting the vehicle to. I have OME on my Disco and it is a road set, so it's stiffer than std as well as taller. It corners like a sports car, believe me, but off road it won't ride like my RR will. However on raod my RR with it's Pro Comp 2" lift is like riding an atlantic storm it's that soft.

These bright yellow springs that everyone seems to be fitting (Britpart I think) seem to be rock hard to start with, but after 6 months use have sagged so much they are having to be replaced. That's the word n the street anyhow.

I've fitted Britpart HD springs all round last August and they haven't sagged (yet).. if they do then I'll be straight on the phone to Britpart Customer Service!!!

Can you elaborate on the "word n the street"...? :ph34r:

At least one of our local suppliers has stopped stocking them as they have been having to replace them, so I am told. Dissatisfied owners and also the guys doing the work as you can imagine.

Bit gutted myself at the mo' but for a different reason...

Fitted a recon' PAS box last year and the bottom seal is leaking already!

Could understand if I had been wading through mud and sand, but a little fording is about all it's done since fitting.

Should have got the new one instead, but as always it's £200 that could be spent elsewhere.

Anyway I of all people attempting a thread hijack!

Sorry.