still vibrating - hmm

Hi all,

further to my post about month ago, vibrations seem to be getting worse. When in say 2nd at 20 MPH or when something is under pressure like 50 - 55mph up a hill on dual carriageway. I don't know if its gearbox which was new only 3 years ago and or original transfer box (1987)- maybe bearing (dunno know anything about this though) i have checked play in UJ's the best i can doesnt seem to move pulling and pushing resolves in no movement maybe i could go more brutal. If i put my head down it seems to be coming from gearboxes area and then moves back a bit behind bulkhead area. I drove down to PLymouth yesterday 60-65 was fine but i could be going too fast to increase frequency of vibration??? Not sure

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

I have had UJs that feel fine on the car, but were completely knkrd when the prop was taken off.

I now treat UJs as disposable items, any noise or vibration I just change them.

Me 2 ..

I was going through lots of front prop UJ's until some kind person on ere explained about offsetting the UJ's by .. i think it was about 30degrees. It also made things alot smoother. This is done by taking the prop off and pulling the prop apart on the splines and slotting it back together at the right angle.

I was going through lots of front prop UJ's until some kind person on ere explained about offsetting the UJ's by .. i think it was about 30degrees. It also made things alot smoother. This is done by taking the prop off and pulling the prop apart on the splines and slotting it back together at the right angle.

This applies to the front prop only though.

right ok i will take prop off when i get a chance and then see whats whats. Which ones do you thnk i should change vibrations being around transfer box etc. Change one on the front and one on the back either side of the box??

Take the front prop off first and check its flange angles.

Give it all a good feel.

I do like feeling flanges :lol:

While front prop is off, engage central difflock and go for a drive. If vibration still there it's not front prop/front axle.

Replace front prop, remove rear and drive again. If still there, it's likely to be gearbox / transfer box related. (I'm assuming you have checked wheel balance etc. already!)

Neil