Richard Burns dies

Turbocharger

From BBC News:

Richard Burns, who won the world rally championship in 2001, has died at the age of 34 after a long illness, on the fourth anniversary of his title win.

Burns had not competed since he passed out at the wheel of his road car on the way to the Wales Rally GB in 2003.

He was diagnosed with a brain tumour and underwent surgery in April.

For me, a massive tragedy. A talented and level-headed driver who really shone in his field, taken at such a young age. Not to bear comparison but this is a much greater loss than an older man who wasted an organ transplant.

I think both should say to us all: one life - live it!

From BBC News:

For me, a massive tragedy. A talented and level-headed driver who really shone in his field, taken at such a young age. Not to bear comparison but this is a much greater loss than an older man who wasted an organ transplant.

I think both should say to us all: one life - live it!

hear hear

VERY sad !!,, Only 34

Knew him from the very early days, one of his first rallies he went on, was as service crew for us, back in the mid 80's and christened the Cinzano kid !! but another story

Have him on video, playing rally cars in the service area, whilst sat in a cosworth we ran at the time,

Tragic loss, you never know what's round the corner,, live today, whilst it here !!!

Guest diesel_jim

Christ, only a year older than i am!

a sad loss, for more of a loss than the alcoholic footballer! (sorry for being so negative on that one, but George Best hardly helped himself did he.) and in my eyes, rallying is FAR more important than kicking a leather bag of air around a field. :lol:

Great shame that. Very little coverage on the news (or at least I missed it). I remember when he was diagnosed as having the tumour (Astrocytoma) and I was told that the chance of recovery was slim.

He did a lot for grass roots motorsport and will be missed.

A very sad loss

he was a inspiration to all young drivers including me.

I see the papers have not said a thing about it

How can the nation put a acoholic on a pedastall and a hero out in the cold.

1 football between two post and 20' apart at 40mph, dificult

1 ton of car on a track 1' wider than the car travaling at 130mph, ture tallant

A very sad loss

he was a inspiration to all young drivers including me.

I see the papers have not said a thing about it

How can the nation put a acoholic on a pedastall and a hero out in the cold.

1 football between two post and 20' apart at 40mph, dificult

1 ton of car on a track 1' wider than the car travaling at 130mph, ture tallant

Agree

We have had it all over the news over here about Best. And me and sue say they should have let him die years ago and give the liver to some one who would have taken care of it. Sorry Rant off

Dame Shame about Burns shocked the hell out of me too. Heard when Julian texed me the other day when it happened. Scary as well he was my age

Had Radio 5 on all Sunday afternoon - no mention of Richard..........not bloody once, and this is supposedly a sports station; yet every 5 minutes we had to hear reports of the minutes applause or silence held in Best's memory.

I suppose all we can hope for is a mention on Sports Personality of the Year which comes up in a couple of weeks.

BBC - I shall be listening, start writing the tribute now.

Now Man U are talking about a statue or the like for Best. OK, how about a statue for Richard Burns ? - I suggest an airborne Imprezza with him at the wheel

STEVE

I was sad to hear this :(

A controversial character at times but always an excellent driver. He had great links with the Subaru Community, often posting on our message boards and knowing what was going on without even having to be 'informed' by press people :)

Saw him at Castle Coombe earlier this year leading an exhibition of his collection of past rally cars, sadly he was in a wheelchair and was driven around the track, but still waving and enjoying the sight of those excellent rally cars B)

Was looking forward to seeing him back in a Scooby, I believe we would have had truely great things.

He'll be missed.

Jen

very sad and tragic loss.

would have been nice to see him get a little recognition via the media, especially as he was the only brit to win the WRC.

such a shame his fate never aforded him a second chance...... unlike a certain alcoholic ex-footballer who was given the gift of life, probably at the expense of someone else on the transplant list, only to stick two fingers up at those who helped him to get better.

as far as i'm concerned the man was trash and they should have switched him off a month ago. (rant over)

god bless richard burns.

One shouldn't speak ill of the dead (unless they are Argies) but...

I have never understood the fuss about Best

The guy hasn't been a good footballer for 30 #kin years!!

How long can you dine out on history for? As far as I can tell he's been a professional slob since he stopped footballing in about 1970-something, though as I am about as interested in football as I am in flower arranging, I suppose I might have missed the point. But even if I had missed the point, he would still be a git.

Stephen

Feel the same as you. Best was past his best years ago and like you said was living on memories that should of faded years ago. Burns on the otherhand was a modern hero to some. Who kept in touch with modern day motorsport and supported it.

He was only 3 days younger than me but he achieved so much more. I wish that in my time left I can achieve a little of what he has done.

THE KING IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE KING

dunno what it is about rallying, but they never seam to get to exposure or the recognition that they deserve, i mean burns was WORLD CHAMPION a couple of years back, but if you asked 10 people in the street i reckon only 1 would know who he was....

I think the trouble is, rallying is unfashionable. On the face of it, you would have to be mad to stand in the pitch darkness for hours on end just to see 3 seconds of blinding light and then be showered with mud and gravel, but it's "real" motorsport and I love it - even if I've never been able to see one 'live'. OK so the leading cars are far removed from the models which carry their names in the showrooms but it's still far closer to the real world than F1, where absurdly rich people drive round in ludicrously expensive cars that break as soon as they run over a blade of grass. And the drivers are, on the whole, real people (or at least they come across as such) - not some flesh and blood marketing exercise like so many sports are these days.

I actually hope rallying stays the way it is because if it goes too mainstream and bland, the way F1 went a few years ago, it'd be a bit sad. Burns, and the current crop of drivers, are much of what makes it the superb sport it is and it would be sad to see it move too far "upmarket" into something that becomes completely ruled by television and sponsorships.

As Jules commented, absolutely nothing in the media about Burns - I think I heard one little report on the end of a radio news programme, nothing at all on telly. As a world champion he should have been mentioned in the same breath as the Ashes victory or the rugby world cup, IMHO

I didn't even know he was ill, was watching the rally a few weeks ago and wondered what happened to him

A brilliant driver, and a great loss :(

Same here, sad existance as I might have right now, guys like that make you feel happy to be alive, contibuting so much in such a short life.

The Lord save us from the Ramblers getting a hold of the rallying ticket.

Edited by Niall_CSK