Pulling bearings

Gromit

Hi guys,

I've a couple of basic engineering questions here. Bear with me :lol:

I'm planning on fitted my new cross-drilled input gear at the weekend. I'm off to buy a bearing puller to remove the bearings.

I've new taper bearings, but I won't be able to change the rear bearing track, so I was going to reuse the old rear bearing, which looks fine.

So, am I right in thinking that it's a bad idea to run a new race on an old bearing track? so I would be better using the old race?

When pulling bearings, does the puller have to bear on the inner track of the bearing, or can it bear on the cage? :o

I ask this because the inner track only protrudes by 0.5 - 1mm so there's not much there to pull against.

Cheers,

NEVER run a new bearing race on an old track , wase of money will greatly reduce its life span , as for pulling the inner race of the shaft , there is usally insufficent room to get behind the race to put any pullers on , standard ''leg'' pullers will not grip it enougth ,

if you can get behind the race you could use a puller that goes completly behind the race (cant for the life of me think what they called dispite using them regualry)

im guessing the shaft is stlll in the box ? if not grind the race off

Hi guys,

I'm planning on fitted my new cross-drilled input gear at the weekend. I'm off to buy a bearing puller to remove the bearings.

I've new taper bearings, but I won't be able to change the rear bearing track, so I was going to reuse the old rear bearing, which looks fine.

So, am I right in thinking that it's a bad idea to run a new race on an old bearing track? so I would be better using the old race?

When pulling bearings, does the puller have to bear on the inner track of the bearing, or can it bear on the cage? :o

I ask this because the inner track only protrudes by 0.5 - 1mm so there's not much there to pull against.

Cheers,

I can get you a set of pullers for the weekend if you need them? Let me know before 3 this evening!!

Wait ..... if you have new bearings and a new gear you wont need to remove an inner bearing!! :huh:

I can get you a set of pullers for the weekend if you need them? Let me know before 3 this evening!!

Wait ..... if you have new bearings and a new gear you wont need to remove an inner bearing!! :huh:

Cheers dude. Am going to go round to the tool place at 2 to see what they have.

Yes, I thought that initially too, but seeing as I can't get to the bearing track in the transfer box, I've to pull the existing bearing off the old gear and use it on the new gear.

Yeah, that's what I need, unfortunately, Machine Mart don't ship to Ireland :angry:

Not necisserily a bad thing, we have that puller set at home. The style of puller is good, but that particulare one no where near strong enough. We had threads strip and parts of it bend on its first pull.

My rule of thumb is if its tight enough on that you need a pull to remove it then it will require more force than a cheap puller can generate.

Why can't you change the old bearing track? if you can get a new one and its just a case of removing the old one then detructive methods like a chisel/grinder/heat can be more effective at removing the track.

Hi guys,

Cheers,

Why can't you change the rear bearing track? probably more commonly known as a bearing cup. The other piece with the rollers is called a cone.Has the bearing housing and rear cover plate been changed to a one piece casting ? All the Lt230's I've ever had anything to do with had 2 piece affairs that allowed for easy removal of the bearing cup.

Bill.

the rear(inner bearing) outer race is easy to remove from an LT230

take the lower inspection plate off the use a lever to gently prise it out tap the new outer race in gently

the race is in ali so not held that tight.

I've done this a couple of time now

Those bearings tend not to wear as there is very little preload on them and they are running in EP gear oil………………..just carefully pull off the inner from the old gear and press them onto the new gear. If you don’t have puller and a press, then it is very easy to do with a brass drift and a little patience.

:)

Ian