CLICKING NOISE.... WHILST ENGAGING GEARS!!

discjockey

Hope someone on this forum can help me as have been to a few garages & they haven't been able to........i have recently brought a 5 door 2002 Freelander TD4 used vehicle however since i have had it i have noticed that whenever i press the accelerator, there's a strange clicking noise that seems to come from under the dash on the drivers side, however it only makes the noise whislt engaging gears. When in neutral you don't hear it when you press the accelerator but sometimes when you are out of gear and the engine ticks over you get a noise that i can only describe as sounding like a heleicopter!! but it is very hit & miss, if i put my foot on the brakes sometimes it will dissapear, then other times it's the other way round, if i'm in neutral & on a bit of a slope uphill, i'll put my foot on the brake & then this rattle will start.......it is very frustrating as i've took it to one garage who said its know in the industry as a diesel rattle & not to worry, the other garage has qouted me silly money to strip down the whole of the dash, then to charge me extra upon there findings............has anyone else on her ever encountered anything like this or am i worrying over nothing as this is my 1st diesel i have ever driven!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hope someone on this forum can help me as have been to a few garages & they haven't been able to........i have recently brought a 5 door 2002 Freelander TD4 used vehicle however since i have had it i have noticed that whenever i press the accelerator, there's a strange clicking noise that seems to come from under the dash on the drivers side, however it only makes the noise whislt engaging gears. When in neutral you don't hear it when you press the accelerator but sometimes when you are out of gear and the engine ticks over you get a noise that i can only describe as sounding like a heleicopter!! but it is very hit & miss, if i put my foot on the brakes sometimes it will dissapear, then other times it's the other way round, if i'm in neutral & on a bit of a slope uphill, i'll put my foot on the brake & then this rattle will start.......it is very frustrating as i've took it to one garage who said its know in the industry as a diesel rattle & not to worry, the other garage has qouted me silly money to strip down the whole of the dash, then to charge me extra upon there findings............has anyone else on her ever encountered anything like this or am i worrying over nothing as this is my 1st diesel i have ever driven!!!!!!!!

Any ideas????

It's difficult to suggest anything, as it is probably only a vibration of some lose part(s), it can be anything under the dashboard or under the bonnet - any wire, pipe, etc... so you need to check any part which seems not fixed properly.

Turns out it was the engine mount was loose, and the btreather pipe catching on the lid of the engine cover after all that!!!!

Turns out it was the engine mount was loose, and the btreather pipe catching on the lid of the engine cover after all that!!!!

loose engine mounts is a strange one I would keep a eye on it.

I was repeatedly snapping the 1.8 engine mounts while racing but the td4's were fine and I never even needed to worry about.

as long as it didn't do any damage