Do I really need this / what does it do / Ok without ?

Hi all,

I have been having a bit of a problem going from Low Box Diff lock on the High Box diff lock out. (LT85 V8 90)

The linkage seemd to be stiff as a stiff thing, .........and sometimes jumped out :(

On the suggestion of Jon White I removed the rubber cover on the top of the gearbox cover,

and removed a dog tatty foamy soft squidgy foam thingy (soory be going all technical on you :P )

and saw the linkeage, well the linkage with hardened mud on it.

A good pressure washer later saw the linkage - dry and rusty, LOADS of WD40 and lots of it out in out jiggle it all :o about sees the linkage much much better :)

So, my question is this foamy rubbery foamy thing that sits on top of the gearbox

and under the rubber - seems a bit of a mud trap / water retainer / and hence the issue,............. its also tatty as hell,

..........whats the issue if I don't put it back ?....

what does it do, ..............?

it is a bit like mud shields on disc brakes and that its best binned ?

Nige

I only recently fitted that sponge after noticeing one of the landrovers on loan to my unit had it in :) I smuggled it out and put it on mine. It never occured to me that it would be a mud/water trap and I;ve noticed my Hi low change has got stiffer. Going to take it out tomorrow and check.. But Its going back in beuase I;m trying to bloack as much noise as possible out as its driving me nuts since I changed the old 2.5 petrol engine for a 200TDI

I would imagine a quick fix for it would be to wrap it in plastic or at least put some plasitc under it so any water from it runs off and away from the linkage.. I'll do it tomorrow and report my findings:)

I haven't got around to putting it back in / filling the hole after he auto conversion and only differences are (1)Noise. (2) you get a nice warm blast of air when moving and open the window and (3) Exhaust fumes do come in - not too clever.
On the plus side once you've breathed in enough Exhaust fumes you no longer care about the noise or the warm air :lol:

Guest diesel_jim

Why not get a stanley knife (* other knives are also available :lol: ) and slice it so that it's half as thick.

that way, you'll still get some soundproofing, but it won't push down so far as to jam on the linkage.

or just spray a can of instant foam filler in there and re-fit the gearstick gaiter! :lol::lol::lol::lol: