Which engine to replace the dead one then?

FridgeFreezer

It sounds very much like my 1.8K-series engine is dead (and not from HGF rather strangely :unsure: ) so I've been looking for replacements... and as usual replacing a part with a something standard seems like a bit of a waste of effort :rolleyes: so I've been shopping round for alternative powerplants.

I'm very tempted by this 2.0 Turbo, which I have been told will bolt in place of a K-series, it certainly looks very similar. It would be a giggle and they are, apparently, strong lumps.

There's also the more normal and plentiful old Rover 2.0 lumps, as well as the 2.0 Diesel lumps for uber-sensibility - does anyone know if they use the same gearbox for the diesel as the petrol freebies?

Any other suggestions? Am I being daft? (actually, don't answer that one)

isn't that the engine that marcocosic stuck in his SIII (on the old site)? it might be worth seeing if he is still around on any of the forums to pick his brain?

I think more than 1.8 would be more then sensible given the slightly gutless nature of them?

Mark

TBH I found it quite a nice little engine, still is it's jut a bit rattly now :unsure:

At least I'm only looking at bolt-ins, the temptation to see if a Supra V6 or BMW six would fit could be dangerous...

Oh and Wikipedia answered my T16 question, they also used the PG1 gearbox and were de-tuned to avoid grenading it :lol:

These ones:

"In 1997, Lotus displayed the Very High Performance Derivative (VHPD) version of the K series engine. This engine featured a modified cylinder head with solid valve lifters which allowed an 8000 rpm limit, carbon fiber air box, oil cooler, and lightweight exhaust. This version produced 190 hp.

In 1999, Lotus introduced the 111s version of the Elise. It provided 143 bhp at 7.000 rpm and 128 ft-lb (174 Nm) with the new variable valve control (VVC) version of the K engine. There were larger inlet and exhaust valves, a new aluminium inlet manifold, and a revised plenum chamber. The sequential fuel injection had adaptive control and distributorless ignition used individual coils for each cylinder.

Finally, in June of 2002, Lotus introduced the S2 Elise. The engine continued to use the variable valve control system but now has higher compression, larger intake and throttle body, and modified exhaust. The engine now used the Lotus K4 engine management system, allowing it to produce 156 bhp at 7,000 rpm. The torque now peaked 550 rpm earlier but was still the same 129 ft-lb (175Nm)."

After a load of calls and a fair bit of soul (and wallet) searching I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet, put the sensible head on, and drop a rebuilt 1.8K in, thanks must go to Bill for pulling some strings and to MBNA who are about to have their 0% balance transfer scheme taken advantage of. Again. :(

It's disappointing I don't have the time to do something daft with it but I need a working car, and I can't see anything much better to replace this one with that wouldn't potentially cost me just as much.