Land Rover insurance -17 year old?

HotRod

Does anyone have experience of insuring a 17 year-old for (their own) Land Rover use? It would be a great first car and project for my son - but is reasonably priced insurance available for a 17 yr old student?

Any particular brokers? Is it available through 'classic' cover for a Series model, or can an early 90 be covered? Thoughts appreciated

It's never gonna be cheap but it should be as doable as anything else. A Series will probably be cheapest as they're slow and don't really get nicked for parts like some other models do. Early defenders may also be OK. Try NFU and Adrian Flux as a starter for quotes.

CIS you are kidding! wanted £3k to insure me, at 17 on a 1967 88" Diesel

I went to Footman james, for I believe around £1000, but was TPFT

They are insuring me now, but earlier this year quoted me (at 20) £302 on a 1973 300 Tdi 5 Speed Series 3 109" not bad at all.

Thanks for the replies - any more experiences?

A lightweight on parabolic springs would make a lot of sense & be pretty good offroad, thanks for the idea

[quote name='redben101' I was insured in my own name for TPFT for £500 through Norwhich Union Van policy

That's interersting - presumably it was for a solid-sided hardtop L/R then? Is a van easier to insure?

I am 19 and when i tryed to get insurance for the first time it was around £1500 TPFT. Then this year it went down to £900 but that was under car insurance witch when i put my reg plate in nothing comes up. So i gave van insurance a go and when i put my reg plate in it came up with my car details so i thought this is maby this is where my land rover should go that came out in the end at a low £400 TPFT witch is fine for me :)

EDIT: o ye btw thats on a 1999 TD5 90

When I spoke to Gloucester NFU last autumn, they told me they wouldn't insure an under-25 on a classic policy / series landie.

Adrian Flux gave me a stonking deal though, even considering I had a few points at the time. Try them, they're not bad - and they're not pushy.