OT: OK so you can all laugh now...

ThreeSheds

I put petrol in my diesel Pug... If that wasn't bad enough I put £46's worth in before I realised... :angry:

You may now dissolve in fits of laughter... I would!

TwoSheds

It's coming to us all :ph34r:

I dread the day i do it.

At least you noticed though and didn't start it up. :unsure:

What does happen if ya start a diesel up with petrol in the tank.

I know a couple of gallons will just thin the fuel bit but wot about a full tank.

I had a bad dream about this once .. Sad, but true .. In my dream, my car kind of banged and spewed its oil on the floor. It was only a dream though... I didn't actually do it :lol: .... yet :ph34r:

It will also strip all the oil from the bores and scrap the engine, HP diesel pumps will die as they rely on the fuel as lubricant.... the list is almost endless, but I shall stop there ;)

I thought that this was probably the case, so my plan is to empty the tank by means as yet undetermined, and then fill it with diesel and pump it through the pipes using the bleeder and then go round the block 30 or 40 times....

There is maybe 4 litres of diesel (max - I was running on fumes) in with 43 litres petrol - so I reckon that my old RRC3.9 will have to drink that. What's the advice - would 1:10 diesel/petrol mix harm a 3.9 in which case should I cut it some more - what to?...

TwoSheds

I thought that this was probably the case, so my plan is to empty the tank by means as yet undetermined, and then fill it with diesel and pump it through the pipes using the bleeder and then go round the block 30 or 40 times....

If you are worried about it not getting enough lubricant, drop a mug or two of 20w50 into the fuel tank, that should help counteract the thinning effect of the petrol....

i did it at sainsburys when i had my td6 range rover.

it was empty - i got to half full and realised i wasnt putting diesel in...

they told me to top it up with diesel and it would be ok.........................

i chose to get it drained ----although a mate with an x5 did the same and drove it to the end of road - needed about £4k of work.

Although I met the guy who works for the local recovery service who do the draining, and he uses some of the fuel on his sidevalve motorbike for his summer holiday - shoves it in fuel cans and stacks it in his sidecar !!!!

Wonder if the same applies for a 2.0 sidevalve series one engine !!

If it makes you feel any better,

Years ago I had a part time job at the local Supermarket garage, had a bloke come in screaming blue murder accusing us of having Derv in the Petrol tanks and threatning to sue for damages, luckily we found the CCTV footage of him with a black pipe in the filler for his Jag! Needless to say he went home with his tail between his legs :rofl:

done it twice on my 90 now,

but the stupid BP garage has 2 blue pumps, one shade for optimax diesel and another shade of blue for the optimax petrol.

at 3am under flourescent lighting, it really is difficult to notice which is which when you're half asleep...

until 500 yds down the road when you chugchugchug to a smokey halt.

luckily being a tdi its not suffered any real problems from it. nothing a drain of the tank, new fuel filter and a quick waggle of the lift pump to purge the pipes doesnt sort out.

If its a commonrail diesel engine do not run at all , drain all fuel purge lines and change filter fill with diesel and start

If its normal (300tdi type) diesel engine drain fuel as much as practicable , fill with diesel , change filter and prime start up no probs.

Do not put the petrol you drained out into 3.9 i it will run really poorly, pink and wont pull, you can add it in gradually if you run on high octane unleaded , or if you have old diesel landy add it to the tank during winter at about 1 gallon to six in tank , it will aid cold starting and stop waxing in filter(although you dont really have that prob with modern diesel fuel)

Yep, also been there.

Tank very near empty, filled to brim with Sainsbury's finest unleaded.

Fortunately got 1/2 mile and noticed drop in power and suspected the

prob so pulled over.

Got a mate to tow me home. Used the petrol in my other car so no loss

financially, just an hour wasted.

i did it at sainsburys when i had my td6 range rover.

it was empty - i got to half full and realised i wasnt putting diesel in...

they told me to top it up with diesel and it would be ok.........................

i chose to get it drained ----although a mate with an x5 did the same and drove it to the end of road - needed about £4k of work.

Although I met the guy who works for the local recovery service who do the draining, and he uses some of the fuel on his sidevalve motorbike for his summer holiday - shoves it in fuel cans and stacks it in his sidecar !!!!

Wonder if the same applies for a 2.0 sidevalve series one engine !!

2.0! that'll be my engine!! Yes it does. I had 50 litres of contaminated petrol last year around a 50/50 mix - i left it in the garden for a few weeks and could see it seperating into 2 layers.

Anyway i put it in and it ran fine, a little white smoke now and then on full throttle or on start up tho.

I put petrol in my diesel Pug... If that wasn't bad enough I put £46's worth in before I realised... :angry:

You may now dissolve in fits of laughter... I would!

TwoSheds

Fortunately you cannot get a diesel or unleaded nozzle to fill an LPG tank :lol: However, if it does decide to ignite..........................!

Right - I had a look in the daylight today. It's a distributor type pump with the lift pump built into the back of it and using overflow to lube/cool the pump before returning it to the tank. The pipe from the tank has a priming balloon which takes about 60 squeezes to do a litre (so 2500 reps to clear the tank). Since I don't fancy arms like Arnie, my plot is this (unless anyone throws up their hands in horror):

I am getting a drill pump that is ok for solvents and oils and with that I will pump the tank dry, transferring the 45 litres into the RRC which is currently dry. I will then put 60 litres of diesel in the Pug and pump through for a couple of litres to clear the pipes. This will go back in the Pug tank.

So now i will have a Pug with maybe 2 litres of petrol (whatever is left in the tank when it runs 'dry') in 58 of diesel and the RRC with about 4 litres of diesel in 45 litres of petrol. Topping the RRC tank up with petrol will make this 4 in 76. Acceptable for a knacked old lump methinks.

I'll let you know how it goes...

TwoSheds

Done it and all is well...

I split the pipe before the pump and it was only diesel in there so I then used a £15 drill pump to take out all the petrol (5ltrs per minute - not bad!). I found that in total I removed 48ltrs of fuel and at the garage I had put in 44ltrs meaning that I have 4ltrs of diesel mixed with 44ltrs of petrol in the RRC tank at the mo. When I dilute that out to 80ltrs it will only be about 5% so that will be fine.

As for the Pug - I put 20ltrs of diesel in and pumped a 10 litres through to clear the pipework and put that back in the tank. Then - fingers crossed I reconnected everything and started it. After a few hiccups while it cleared air (I could see the bubbles going through the clear portion of the pipe) it cleared itself and now it is running fine.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Big sigh of relief and what a pleasure to have motorised transport again instead of just the push-bike :D

Better go shopping now I suppose...

TTFN

TwoSheds

Done it and all is well...

I

TwoSheds

When I were but a wee lad, my guvnor had just bought a brand new vehicle called a Range rover, his pride and joy and as the only vehicle I had driven was his Commer van I sooooooo wanted to drive it, we drove to deepest darkest yorkshire for work and the girl in the filling station put 20 gallons of diesel in it, he was not amused, just thank god I wasn't driving.

She said that all vans were diesel weren't they, that went down well as well