Daily Driver Challenge Events - 29 Mar 08 - Wellington

JST

Guest WALFY

Remember it's a daily driver challenge. You should be able to do it in a fairly standard LR. You won't need Ashcroft/maxidrive/super dooper drivetrain componants.

James isn't that devious :o

Remember it's a daily driver challenge. You should be able to do it in a fairly standard LR. You won't need Ashcroft/maxidrive/super dooper drivetrain componants.

James isn't that devious :o

As above ^^^^. The DDC is designed to be a fun day out that is challenging (as challenging as you want it to be) but not competitive or damaging (unless you chose to :blink: )- if you do any offroading of any kind (greenlaning, trials, pay and play days, or even are just able to drive across a field, the school run might be pushing it a bit though!! :ph34r: ) then this day is for you. As long as your standard vehicle and kit complies with the rules and regs then it will be fine- the rules and regs are only there to ensure a basic level of safety for all of the vehicles and entrants.

Come on guys- if people don't enter- i.e. send the paperwork and funds- then events like this cannot go ahead and that would be a great shame... There really is nothing to be scared of- come along and find out what you and your vehicle can do in a safe and supportive environment- I think each and everyone will be surprised at exactly what you are your vehicle are capable of!

See you all there...

Don;t panic, i'm not turning it into a full blown challenge truck, much as i'd like to, i just can't justify it..... however, what i am doing will hopefully mean that things like the winch will work all day, (ie, better batteries and BIG isolator etc...) i know it's not supposed to be competitive, but i want to at least get my money's worth....

And hopefully, as long as a few more people stump up the cash, then it'll be a fun day for all of us!!

Guest WALFY

Glad of that. Update/upgrade your truck as and when you need it and can afford it. It's no use crashing through Scrapiron/Devon and bolting all the goodies to your truck. Some bits you'll need some you'll want and some you don't.

If I can relate my truck to when I was teaching a few years ago. The information I included in the lesson fell into 3 categories. These can relate to a LR as well. At the end of the lesson the 3 groups are

1 Must know information

2 Should know information

3 Nice to know

This relates to

1 Must have goodies

2 Nice to have goodies

3 Bling

Your truck is a never ending money drain. Everyone on here will have at least a vapour list of jobs to do or upgrades they want to happen.

Bowie - no not yet to date i have:

1 Ian Gildersleeve

2 Ronald Hogg

3 Steve Gurney

confirmed and paid. although a fair bit of interest from the amount of emails i have had but no more entries. i think there is a feeling that the price is too high compared to what people pay for a pay and play which is understandable but i cant exaclty just open the gates at 0900 and close them at the end of the day so we will see!

The payment will hopefully be on its way tomorow morning.

I do have one more question regarding the regs:

The load carrying area must be separated from the passenger compartment by an adequate barrier.

Does this mean a standard land rover centre bulkhead or something the full height of the cabin such as a dog guard?

I am pretty much up to spec or buying anything I'm not missing so should be able to comply on the day.

That is all I have in my H/T defender

I must say after rolling the 90 at the last Winch challenge I did

I will be securing all the gear in the rear load space fully in future

as a shackle on the head will be uncomfortable at the very least

I would like to get a dog guard as I can see the obvious advantages in being seperated from the load space and of being able to fix items to it, such as the fire ext., however the previous owners of my 90 modified (read: cut away) the driver's side of the bulkhead so fitting a dog guard will be difficult to say the least. Time to make friends with a welder I think!

Standard bulkhead is fine- indeed mine has been cut down to half height and is still fine- the main point of this rule is to protect you from any kit in the back that might try to brain you should it decide to! :blink: Even if you have a bulkhead and dog guard I would still urge you to ensure that everything in or on the vehicle is well secured for you and others safety. Ex army ammo boxes feature heavily in the storage of kit on most trucks (mine included) as they are fairly cheap and solid.

Only three weeks to go- still time to get your entries in! It will be a top day out and would be a shame to miss out... The only problem you are likly to encounter is that you will enjoy it so much that you will have to come back for the next one... and the next... and the next... :D

as at time of post:

1 Ian Gildersleeve

2 Ronald Hogg

3 Steve Gurney

4 Tim Jones

5 Sam Woodbury (guessing at 3.5? if so can you let me have your email address please)

Possibles

Pugwash

Walfy

Ian H

Redben

Tom300tdi

Chris Walker

as at time of post:

1 Ian Gildersleeve

2 Ronald Hogg

3 Steve Gurney

4 Tim Jones

5 Sam Woodbury (guessing at 3.5? if so can you let me have your email address please)

Possibles

Pugwash

Walfy

Ian H

Redben

Tom300tdi

Chris Walker

Cheers for the email updates guys

Chris Walker added to the list.

A couple more now thinking about it.

James

Sorry, not going to be able to make the 29th !! annoyed really !! :angry:

Had a note this morning that the Tour of Cornwall rally has been cancelled for the 5/6 April, and the only other test event we can fit in with the S1600 is in Wales on that same weekend

1 Ian Gildersleeve

2 Ronald Hogg

3 Steve Gurney

4 Ian Hawes

5 Sam Woodbury

6 Chris Walker

Tim - we knew it was on the cards from the conversation yesterday - no worries.

Possibles

Jim Pugh - in a vapour truck

Paul Radford/Steve Blay

Redben

Tom3300tdi90 x3 ?

Nick Smith

walfy

David Webber

Dave Wilson