Daily Driver Challenge Events - 29 Mar 08 - Wellington

JST

Guest WALFY
Mark - yep, can you email the entry form across though and sign it on the day. Best give the ££ to Tim on Sun i may (hopefully will) be a little busy all day.

I can wait the 23mins that you'll be busy :P . I'll pay you after that

I am afraid I have yet another question. :rolleyes:

Where do you guys keep your fire extinguishers? Mine arrived yesturday and trying to find a place which is accessible and secure to fix the mount to is proving difficult. The rear of the centre bulkhead is the only place I could store it vertically, cutting into my passenger leg space, or between the front seats on the bulkhead, fixed horizontally. That is a neat way of doing it but the mount seems designed for it to be stored vertically. Other than those places, roof racking it or in the cubby box, I don't think that's accessible enough though.

Just some ideas, although being able to reach it from the drivers seat is the aim.

vertically:

passenger foot well on RHS bolted to bellhousing cover panel next to the fuse box

behind the drivers seat on RHS between bulkhead and seat belt - limit access though

bulkhead

horizontally:

rear of cubby box

bulkhead behind cubby box

bulkhead behind a seat

front of battery box in passenger foot well

i'd try to mount it as low down as possible rather than up around head level, quite a weight those things to either fly around or bash you head on or both!

Mine is fitted horizintally accross the dash just above the fuse box cover- A lot of people seem to go for horizontally on the front of the seatbox in the passenger footwell which is also a neat and handy place... the mountings tend to be happy in either direction- or if you want to really go to town X-eng do a 'quick fist' that is big enough.

I settled on the bulkdead behind the seats as it was the easiest, most convenient way of fitting it and it's accessible from both sides rather than easy from one and hard to reach from another. I tried the footwell idea but I thought it would annoy the passenger. On the gearbox tunnel was a good place but I couldn't easily bolt it through the other side.

1 Ian Gildersleeve

2 Ronald Hogg

3 Steve Gurney

4 Ian Hawes

5 Sam Woodbury

6 Chris Walker

7 Mark Walford

8 Johnny Bish

Numbers are looking a little better... but it won't stop us badgering!!! ;) Come on you lot- there must be some more of you out there that love off roading and would seriously be missing out if you didn't make it to this event... There is still time to get booked in...

Standard bulkhead is fine- indeed mine has been cut down to half height and is still fine- the main point of this rule is to protect you from any kit in the back that might try to brain you should it decide to! :blink: Even if you have a bulkhead and dog guard I would still urge you to ensure that everything in or on the vehicle is well secured for you and others safety. Ex army ammo boxes feature heavily in the storage of kit on most trucks (mine included) as they are fairly cheap and solid.

How do people secure the ammo boxes? I dug mine out and filled it with all the stuff I need and now I'm worried that instead of lots of small things flying around inside the car, there's one huge heavy thing.

I'm all set for the 29th now, I think I've got just about everything and tried to go the extra mile where possibile, ie: jate rings on the rear not just a towball which is the minimum. Really looking forward to it now, maybe too much. I haven't been offroading properly in ages.

James.........

Can you polease give me a hint as to what the type of ground we'll be using is made up of... ie, rocky, muddy... grassy etc.... as i have two sets of wheels, one with more worn out tyres than the other that i prefer to use if i know i'm gonna be on ground with rocks etc......

Cheers!