Daily Driver Challenge Events - 29 Mar 08 - Wellington

JST

Bloody typical- now that I am not bitching for him Ian H goes and gets a nice Bowrope to replace that hateful spawn of satan that is wire rope... mumble mumble winge winge...

there is nothing wrong with wire if treated with the respect it desurves

just ask barney

get a backbone man

Guest WALFY
Just a couple of gentle reminders ………….for the items that cause me most grief…… :rolleyes:

Please check your recovery points for suitability and strength ……………… make sure you have both a first aid kit and an extinguisher………..

All shackles must be tested (stamped) and rated to at least 3.25T ………….please …….no monkey metal versions………….. if anybody is stuck for a shackle I will most likely have a few on board…….. :blink:

If I see any KERR's on vehicles, you will be asked unload them …………… :angry:

:)

Ian

Why? Some of us are trained and understand how to use them. In the right hands they are a afe method of recovery

I think the majority of KERR's are owned and used by people who are not trained and do not use them appropriately.

In the interests of the safety of all, it is best to not allow their use IMHO. I don't see a need for a KERR at a challenge type event - no risk assessment would ever recommend their use over a winch in that environment would it?

Whilst your skills and ability (with a KERR ) Mark are not being challenged, it would be difficult to ask Ian to verify the training history of all participants so in this case I think the blanket ban is appropriate, especially considering the capacity to harm a KERR has.

My 2p, crawling back under my rock now!

Why? Some of us are trained and understand how to use them. In the right hands they are a afe method of recovery

Read the rules Mark ! ................ :P

I think Charles has hit the nail on the head .................. TBH even in experienced hands a KERR is still potentially lethal.

Whilst it is a good and often a safe method of recovery, I feel that KERR's are not appropriate at Challenge events, play days, and at any event where there is the potential for a large number of vehicles / spectators ............

As a example, I recently recovered my sons Vit whilst out on a shooting expedition ............ Unfortunately it unexpectedly popped out of the boggy morass like a cork from a champagne bottle and the rear end clipped a tree causing over £500 worth of damage to the rear door pillar :blink: ............. OK for us as he is in the trade.................... but remember that we are both very experienced at recovery.........

Also it is important recognize that with private vehicles recovery points can visually seem ok but may have weaknesses that are not immediately apparent (like hidden tin worm etc) . Whereas the military vehicle is often maintained to a higher standard with regard to the recovery points etc............

Personally, at events, I would use winch recovery every time, as it is a very controlled process (in the right hands).

Ian

Guest WALFY

READ THE RULES?????

I'm a bloke I don't do rules/instructions or ask for directions :P:P .

OK, will take the KERR off the truck then. It's always nice to have all the options open to you when it comes to recovery.

adjusted the rear door so that there's no gaps in seal. While I was there I noticed that the cross member bolts have gone rusty, so replaced with stainless steel ones I've had on the shelf for some 18 months :rolleyes:

That's all the prep done :lol::lol:

Steve

READ THE RULES?????

I'm a bloke I don't do rules/instructions or ask for directions :P:P .

OK, will take the KERR off the truck then. It's always nice to have all the options open to you when it comes to recovery.

DETAILED RULES AND REGULATIONS

RECOVERY EQUIPMENT

All vehicles must have the following minimum recovery equipment:

1. 1 Long rope (>4m)

2. 2 pairs of appropriate gloves (not woollen).

3. Suitable recovery points to the front and rear of the vehicles.

A standard fitted towbar is adequate for a rear recovery point. Front recovery points should be a minimum of JATE rings on each chassis leg if a dedicated suitable winch point has not been fitted. Lashing eyes are NOT acceptable. All tow hitches, whether front or rear mounted, should be bolted to the vehicle (not welded) and must be fitted with spreader plates.)

4. 2 stamped and rated shackles (safe working load of 3.25 tons).

5. Kinetic Energy Recovery Ropes (KERR) are NOT permitted.

In addition to the above winch equipped vehicles must carry the minimum of:

6. 2 tree protector strops.

7. Minimum of 1 snatch block.

8. Winch blanket (minimum weight 1kg). It must not be permanently attached to the hook.

9. Winch must be securely fitted to the vehicle.

10. Minimum size of winch is 6000 lbs rated.

11. If an electrical winch is fitted, it must be fitted with a battery isolator switch.

12. Cable/rope must be in good condition.

13. The Loop at end of the cable must be swaged.

from here:

http://www.4x4adventures.co.uk/_main/daily...es_and_regs.htm

adjusted the rear door so that there's no gaps in seal. While I was there I noticed that the cross member bolts have gone rusty, so replaced with stainless steel ones I've had on the shelf for some 18 months :rolleyes:

That's all the prep done :lol::lol:

Steve

wow - you have been busy, nearly as busy as me today - getting stuck at home!

James, have you still got some of your winch sails? If so can I buy one please.

Thanks

Steve

Sorry Steve i have sold the last few i had, Anton has the rest of the stock and hes in Norway!! i have one you can use for the day though if needed.

can you bring 4 of Chris tyres down? 4 best ones? or will they not fit?

I'll need 1 as well. Unless you aren't going to weigh them, in which case I'll be OK with the red 1 I have

Mark,

If you are using plasma then the red one will be fine .................... if you are using wire then I would want to see a sail of at least 1Kg or more...........

So who is the bitch ? ...........I guess it will be the bus driver :lol: .............in that case you will need a sail of 50kg :hysterical:

Ian

Guest WALFY

I'm the bitch for Sat :( . Er indoors is in the pilots seat :o:o . The last time she drove it was when she went on a day with James, it came home on a yellow taxi then :( .

Yes I'm using plasma. Will spk to David tomorrow and see if he has 1 I can borrow.

Sorry Steve i have sold the last few i had, Anton has the rest of the stock and hes in Norway!! i have one you can use for the day though if needed.

can you bring 4 of Chris tyres down? 4 best ones? or will they not fit?

No problem, just using plasma, and as you can tell I haven't used a winch sail ever with plasma.

5 wheels and tyres loaded already ;) Managed to get them to fit along with tow hitch, recovery gear, waffles, tent, chairs, sleeping bags, thermarests, clothes, biscuits supplies :rolleyes: , boots, tools coats etc etc all in a liitle old 90

No problem, just using plasma, and as you can tell I haven't used a winch sail ever with plasma.

5 wheels and tyres loaded already ;) Managed to get them to fit along with tow hitch, recovery gear, waffles, tent, chairs, sleeping bags, thermarests, clothes, biscuits supplies :rolleyes: , boots, tools coats etc etc all in a liitle old 90

Excellent will have a look see Sat then!

I was going to come down and take some pictures but as my 110 wasnt ready today I am still stuck with a piece of carp Ford Ka :( Don't know if I can be bothered to drive it any further than I have to and the 90 is all cleaned up ready for some photos to sell it.

Ben

Came home tonight, checked the 100" and it's got a flat battery! Bl**dy thermo switch is playing up (and it's almost brand new) and keeps switching the fan on... So battery is on charge - all 1300CCA of it! Found a second tree strop, fixed another fire extinguisher in place, hopefully Matt will let me borrow his Winch Sale (pointless things on plasma and next to poinltess on a wire rope unless they damp the pre snap vibrations), find another set of gloves and make the sarnies!

Another great day out - thanks James!

Dave and I had a cracking time and the level of difficulty of the punches was just right (except for the quarry! :blink::lol: ) Plenty to attempt and lots of variations that certainly made us think.

I managed to guide Dave around without dinging his shiney paintwork too which is always a bonus! He might need a new track rod protector though :ph34r:

Definately a successful event and one that should happen again IMHO.

I had a great day today, cheers to everyone who organised/marshalled it, and to everyone that winched me out of the holes I managed to get into. I think that was pretty much everyone with a winch... It was well set out, I think the weather made it a bit challenging for "daily driver" vehicles, but that can't be helped. It was non-damaging and well run.

I had some good advice on what to do/get too re winches, waffles, etc, it will be taken on board. Those side steps are coming off (as the driver's one was moved 3 inches from where it started the day).

Got a new indicator lense ordered. I really should have seen that tree... or my co-driver should have shouted...haven't decided yet. :lol:

Anyway, could go on but I think I'll leave it there. Got a few bits of video and pics, want them posted? Good to put a few faces to names, but I didn't get a lot of peoples' forum name of the ones we met.

I had a great day today, cheers to everyone who organised/marshalled it, and to everyone that winched me out of the holes I managed to get into. I think that was pretty much everyone with a winch... It was well set out, I think the weather made it a bit challenging for "daily driver" vehicles, but that can't be helped. It was non-damaging and well run.

I had some good advice on what to do/get too re winches, waffles, etc, it will be taken on board. Those side steps are coming off (as the driver's one was moved 3 inches from where it started the day).

Got a new indicator lense ordered. I really should have seen that tree... or my co-driver should have shouted...haven't decided yet. :lol:

Anyway, could go on but I think I'll leave it there. Got a few bits of video and pics, want them posted? Good to put a few faces to names, but I didn't get a lot of peoples' forum name of the ones we met.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Blame James for the weather - it's always his fault.

As for the pics and videos - yes please, post away!!!!

All the best,

Matt

I'll second that! Had a wicked day, kissed a few tree's & caused a little panel damage but nothing too major :rolleyes:

Was a little slippery in some places and given my lack of a winch the waffles were well used! :lol::lol:

Thanks very much to all those involved with organising / running the day.

Cheers, Tinks B)