Storage

Hey,

I am now looking into getting some sort of storage system fitted in the back of my 90 in the hope of doing some overlanding expeditions. Has anyone tried this?

Would you suggest fabricating or getting it done. If so how or who by?

Picture would be great.

Thanks

Peter

I've just packed all my stuff into Really Useful Boxes, which has tidied the back up greatly. They're very tough, designed to be stood on etc. unlike some of the cheap tat, and come in enough different sizes you can slot all sorts of gear in. For example, I bought a nice long box that will hold all my sockets & spanners along with the breaker bar & prybar which were both just too long for any other boxes I could find.

They also do a few boxes that are just the right width to sit on a LR wheel box, and exactly deep enough to hold a 5L bottle of oil, again something that has proved hard to find.

I considered fabricating something swanky but it's either expensive or a lot of effort, and when the truck fills with mud & water things like load-bed drawers would end up f**ked, rusty, and full of carp. At least boxes can be moved, or removed, and will float :ph34r:

I may yet build a little frame to hold the boxes in place securely, but I don't want to compromise the ability to pull stuff out to create space in the back for sleeping or carting big stuff about.

I have a Mobile Storage Systems Long Line drawer fitted to the rear of my 110 station wagon. I find it ideal for carrying the cooking stove, cameras and of course the wheel changing tools.

Fopr storage boxes I use Wolff hi-lid boxes. Very expensive in the UK if you can find a supplier. I believe PRB handle them.

The other system I like is made by Frontrunner. Again I believe PRB are importing Frontrunner gear.

Some pictures of my system are here

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=358612.0

Sorry but you will have to trawl through a bit of other stuff to find what you are looking for.

Don't forget to have everything strapped down

HTH

mike

Guest diesel_jim
I have a Mobile Storage Systems Long Line drawer fitted to the rear of my 110 station wagon. I find it ideal for carrying the cooking stove, cameras and of course the wheel changing tools.

mike

Mike... if you don;t mind me asking, what sort of price is that rear drawer system?

and do you think it would take the length of a military ground anchor plate & pins?

And what would be the best idea for sleeping?

as its in a 90, you'll be poking either your head or feed up by the windscreen....

i had the Excellent mud-uk bulkhead removal kit in my 90, and, with a cubby box, i could lay in the back and poke my size 11's through by the gearstick quite comfortably, that was without even making a proper "bed".

i often thought of a kind of "fold in half table", like a pasting table, to attach onto the rear door handle, and onto the dash somewhere/how and supported in the middle somewhere.

but i've got a 110 now, so plenty of room on the canals.

canals.... barge... geddit? ;)

And what would be the best ida for sleeping?

That in my opinion depends on personal preferences.

We use a ground tent. Made in Namibia. It really did stand some usage this last year. We were away fron August to Feb. In the African Trip pictures on Landrover Addict on the Land Rover board you can see where the Lepoads walked round the tent.

The down side is the thing is heavy and takes up space in the back of the car.

We.vo not used a RTT as Margaret can't climb the ladder. Also she needs to stand while getting dressed, something you can't do in a RTT

You could do what a lot of Southern Africans do. Sleep on the ground. Mats undr you of course but no tent. Some people sleep under the car, others on the roof.

mike

• 3 weeks later...

It rains in the UK tho... ;)

Would it not be possible to have some sort of bunk at bulkhead level, so that when you want to sleep you just flick the passenger seat forward, and have some sort of fold out head section that goes over the top?

It rains in the UK tho... ;)

Would it not be possible to have some sort of bunk at bulkhead level, so that when you want to sleep you just flick the passenger seat forward, and have some sort of fold out head section that goes over the top?

I can tell you it rains in South Africa. Namibia and Botswana. Just like England. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

mike

Try was Lord Mayor of London. Can't died in the workhouse.

I have been thinking about the storage issue for awhile now, and have seen Mikes thread & pictures. (BTW thanks for the link Mike!)

For some reason & I have no idea why, I seem to have got it into my head that Mobile Storage Systems drawers are £800 ish?? I may be wrong, as their website has no prices, but maybe I have seen it somewhere else?

I have been thinking about designing my own drawer system (but getting someone else to fabricate it) based on a standard MSS drawer but incorporating some ideas inspired from pics in Mikes thread and ideas of my own, as I quite like the challenge, and dont really want to spend £800.

Anyone fancy helping me come up with a neat design and helping in the fabricating??

Martin

I'm making mine out of plywood so that I don't need to worry about cutting and folding steel

Geez...it never even occured to me to make it out of anything other than metal!

Do you have any plans or ideas I could steal give input on, please Mo!!??

Martin

Martin.

Let me try to find some more links for you.......

www.frontrunner.co.za

http://www.4wdinteriors.com/roller_drawers.html

http://hdj80.customer.netspace.net.au/maki...own_drawers.htm

www.bushwakka.co.za

There you go. Enjoy.I don't think I paid 800. More like 550 but I really can't remember.

Notice the links are all ZA. IMO they make the best except for MSS.

I only subscribe to three magazines.

S A 4x4. Go another ZA mag and the Overland Journal

I hope to be at Driffield if you'd like to see my Defender in the metal.

mike

Geez...it never even occured to me to make it out of anything other than metal!

Do you have any plans or ideas I could steal give input on, please Mo!!??

Martin

Martin, I shall be doing it this weekend, rain permitting :) design will be back of a fag packet/on the fly :)

I'll be putting a pull out tray underneath the drawer to put the gas burner on for brews and the rear door will be held open with a gas strut, because the standard check arm isn't that much cop for holding the rear door open in anything above a gentle zephyr. :)

I got the drawer runners from Ikea in Milton Keynes for the princely sum of 30p each from their reject section :D

Mo

A couple of points that might help.

MSS make two drawers.The standard and the Longline.

With the standard in the bed of a 110SW the storage draw fits in that place.

With the longline there's 8/9 inches in front of the drawer. More with the standard drawer.

That space is difficult to get to when loaded.

If you can make your drawer the full length of the load bay, then do so. Even if it means the drawer doesn't pull out it's full length.

HTH

mike

Been sketching & designing a drawer system today.

I have created a 3D version using Google Sketch-up, see HERE. Its very rough, only took me a few minutes to do, and is not to scale.

The big hole on the right is sort of a storage chest, which would have a flush fitting hinged lid.

I have all dimensions if anybody needs them.

I would appreciate any feedback. I AM aware that having a storage chest there, may not be the most practical....ie how do you get at it when stuff is on top? Personally, I dont have THAT much stuff in there most of the time, and the idea works well for me.

Martin

Yes Martin I like that.

The chest. Easy really. Divide it into two. the bit that's always covered put the stuff in you rarely use.

Somewhere I have aketch of the rollers for the Outback drawer.

I'll dig it out if you'd like me to.

mike

Mike, I had thought of dividing the chest area in 2, but I literally drew that picture in a few minutes, and most people would get the idea from that. It could be left as 1 big lid or 2 smaller ones, with divisions internally. Might even be beneficial to have the chest divided in 4?? Reduce things rolling around a bit, plus provide a little more lateral support, plus provide support to the chequer plate topping.

I left the sketch very basic looking so you can visualise what materials are what......the skeleton made from plywood/MDF & the top/front capped in chequer plate.

I REALLY like the addition of the "slide n Lok" rails on your system, and that is certainly something I will be incorporating into my design.

Saw runners at B&Q today, only a few pounds for 600mm ball bearing extendable runners.

If you could dig out any drawings you may have, that would be super.

Martin

Nearly dinner time. I'll look later on.

The rails are "cargo rails" not cheap but very good. I have them all over the place.

I should get the Defender back, Thursday looks most likely. I'll measure the rear door distance to drawer front if you like.

The cargo rails are fitted in such a position the a Wolff box fits between them. Everything in the back is strapped down.

mike

Now you are putting me in a spot.

I can't remember.

Douglas Motors rings a bell but they wouldn't post them.

Neither would anoth company.

Try Anton at OEC.

You really need to go to a show to buy them.

Notice I cut all the straps to size and had them stitched to the rings.

HTH

mike

Hi everyone,

If anyone wants the MSS price list, I have a copy that was sent to me in October last year (it has taken this long to get over the prices :o). Drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll forward it on.

Ryan