Meet Mr Bendy!

simonr

Mr Bendy was born on the other side of the Atlantic and has come to live in my workshop. Since arriving, he has grown a wheelchair and some hydraulic 'enhancement'.

post-74-1203465790_thumb.jpg

He is actually a JD2 Model 3 Bender.

post-74-1203465799_thumb.jpg

The reversing valve was ont of the cheap ones from eBay - and it seems very good.

post-74-1203465809_thumb.jpg

Originally I was going to use a mains hydraulic power pack I had - but it was too weedy and did not generate enough pressure.

The one below is a 12v truck tipper pack - and it's plenty powerful enough! Originally I tried it on 24v - figuring it would not be man enough - but it was just way too fast (60 degrees of bend per second in 1 3/4" CDS). On 12v it's much more controlable.

post-74-1203465821_thumb.jpg

The battery seems to last about 20 bends before slowing down - so probably enough for a complete cage on one charge.

post-74-1203465831_thumb.jpg

The pair of wires you can see above are the on/off switch at the moment! There are some nice push buttons coming from eBay for it.

You can't really see it but I've added a switch on an end stop on the degree ring so you can set it up to do a particular bend angle and it will repeat it accurately.

Just for the record, I have no intention of making cages for anyone! I made my 90 cage a few years back and swore never again!

Si

You could become an itinerant visiting cage builder ;)

Not related to one W. H. Robinson by any chance? :D

Lovely piece of kit... :)

If you are not going to use it for cages - may one ask what it is for? - since it has obviously taken some time, thought and effort to put together!...

TwoSheds

Not related to one W. H. Robinson by any chance? :D

Heath-Robinson is my hero!

I doubt you would want a cage made by him though!

If you are not going to use it for cages - may one ask what it is for? - since it has obviously taken some time, thought and effort to put together!...

I bought it to make the space-frame for my Suzuki - which is very non standard so none of the off the shelf 'jigged' options are suitable. This would have made it expensive, much more expensive than the bender. I'm perfectly capable of making one cage (where I can take my time) - just don't want to go in to the business of making cages.

The reason for the Hydraulics is space. For bending this tube, the manufacturers suggest using a 56" lever. That requires a bit of space to swing it and means the bender has to be well fixed to the floor. The hydraulics mean it can be on a wheely base which does not need securing and can be moved out the way when not required.

Si

The reason for the Hydraulics is space. For bending this tube, the manufacturers suggest using a 56" lever. That requires a bit of space to swing it and means the bender has to be well fixed to the floor. The hydraulics mean it can be on a wheely base which does not need securing and can be moved out the way when not required.

Si

Brilliant!

So... If you are only interested in doing one spaceframe I guess you might be selling it when you've finished? hmmm? :rolleyes:

TwoSheds

where did the 12v truck tipper pack come from? Was it expensive? I'd like one for a little project i've dreamt up but all those that come up on ebay seem to either be very big or very expensive!

Great bender - I purchased one last summer and have been very impressed with the results.

Lee

where did the 12v truck tipper pack come from? Was it expensive? I'd like one for a little project i've dreamt up but all those that come up on ebay seem to either be very big or very expensive!

Sodbury - £40 or so.

I bought it for rear steer - but it was really a bit OTT. Instead I'm going to take a feed off the PAS pump and upgrade that a bit if I need to.