Defender Locks

I have a 83 Defender 110 3 door. All three locks work manually and appear to be 2 different models but nearly identical. The ignition key doesn't operate any of them. Can they be changed by a locksmith to accept the ignition key? Also where can I get an ignition key blank? I'm a bit a newbie so bear with me. Thanks a lot.

I have a 83 Defender 110 3 door. All three locks work manually and appear to be 2 different models but nearly identical. The ignition key doesn't operate any of them. Can they be changed by a locksmith to accept the ignition key? Also where can I get an ignition key blank? I'm a bit a newbie so bear with me. Thanks a lot.

The lock barrels themselves are an easy DIY swap over to replacement ones- no need for a locksmith. A set of three keyed alike (i.e. the supplied keys fit all three of them) door lock barrels can be bought for about £10. I believe that dealers can also supply a set of door locks matched to your existing ignition key... might have dreamt that bit though :unsure:

Any key cutter should be able to supply a suitable ignition key blank.

Shrek

I think you dreamt that bit, Shrek :)

Welcome, 110 USA :) You'll always have a seperate ignition key and door locks. The best you can do is to have all the door locks and fuel filler the same then you'll have to carry 2 keys, surely not to much of a burden ;)

Mo

I've got 2 keys - 1 for ignition and locks + 1 for fuel cap.

The 07 has gone backwards IMHO in that you now have to unlock and then physically lock the fuel cap. My Td5 was unlock only - it would self lock once screwed back in.

Anyone have any ideas how to remove the fuel cap lock barrel?

When you find out please tell me.

110_USA

When you come to change the barrels on the doors....

If you have that big plte on the inside of the door...

Eye up where the screw head is for the back of the barrel, then drill a hole in the plate to allow you to get the screwdriver to the screw head. Believe me it makes the job a doddle. Thank you BT mechanics for giving me that tip..

mike