90 Tank Capacity

Bummin 'eck! 230 miles to a tankful! Have you been driving it with the handbrake on or are you doing 'warp factor ridiculous with yer hair on fire' down the motorway? Best I've managed with my '93 was 36mpg (Somerset to Cumbria), steady 55mph pretty much all the way... topped it off with 43ish litres when I got there 324 miles on the trip (approx 5% speedo/odo error thanks to big tyres - TomTom "can'treadamapnav" corrected to 340 plus change).

With the roof bars and ladders on top (read as buddy gert parachute effect that makes the aerodynamics of two mating housebricks look quite good) I get closer to 30mpg at around the same cruising speed and easily 300 miles to a tank.

Most I've ever managed to fit in the tank was 50 litres... didn't realise I was down to the last 4 and a bit, mind you it seems I might be the owner of the only accurate Land Rover fuel gauge in existence as it was still just a little bit above the empty mark.

Cheers,

Bummin 'eck! 230 miles to a tankful! Have you been driving it with the handbrake on or are you doing 'warp factor ridiculous with yer hair on fire' down the motorway? Best I've managed with my '93 was 36mpg (Somerset to Cumbria), steady 55mph pretty much all the way... topped it off with 43ish litres when I got there 324 miles on the trip (approx 5% speedo/odo error thanks to big tyres - TomTom "can'treadamapnav" corrected to 340 plus change).

With the roof bars and ladders on top (read as buddy gert parachute effect that makes the aerodynamics of two mating housebricks look quite good) I get closer to 30mpg at around the same cruising speed and easily 300 miles to a tank.

Most I've ever managed to fit in the tank was 50 litres... didn't realise I was down to the last 4 and a bit, mind you it seems I might be the owner of the only accurate Land Rover fuel gauge in existence as it was still just a little bit above the empty mark.

Cheers,

Mine does 27mpg mostly round town so its all stop start - more than a dozen sets of traffic lights in 8 miles on the way to work.... Its about 220 miles to the tank before I fill up - usually just above the red. At 70mph its a few mpg less which is close enough to the official land rover figure in the handbook for a 300tdi - IIRC they quote a figure of around 20 mpg at 75mph.

Yes you can get more mpg with a very light foot but its not usually possible in todays traffic conditions ( stuck behind lorries) or causing traffic queues and getting flashed by irrate and inconsiderate drivers, and for some of us, time is sometimes more of the essence.

There are numerous threads on here about mpg, but for a tdi 90 those figures are common...

i bought a 1987 2.5 disel 90 recently and was warned about a dodgy fuel tank sender unit, however i decided to completely ignore this advice and when it fell to just under half on the guage i ran out of diesel...totally astonished i was.

Now i threw in 5 litres from a jerrycan and drove 1, i repeat, 1 mile to a fuel station....i then filled up the grand total of 38 litres. And before you ask yes it was pouring out of the overflow as i didnt expect to stop so suddenly!

I have since this never driven more than 180 miles without filling up (300km over here) and its usually 30 litres to fill her up, so 10km/litre which aint bad ( i think thats about 28-30 mpg).

I could either run her dry again on purpose after filling up to check the capacity but i cant be arsed honestly. As far as im aware its a standard tank, so thats about 45 litres, 10 gallons.

Hope this helps the original question, but never trust it anyway....i'm going to get a sender unit one day, after the ex-wife, the kids, food, blah, blah blah......

• 8 years later...

My gauge is good enough that I can generally predict the fuel economy to within an mpg or two based on it's position and the trip mileage. For example if the trip mileage is 180 at an indicated 1/2 tank then that will equate to something around 30-31 mpg.

Okay it's not 'accurate' in that 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 don't necessarily correlate exactly with those measurements due to its non-linear nature however it's reliable and repeatable which is arguably more important once you have got to know the vehicle and how the gauge behaves.

Cheers,

36mpg from a Defender. Think I'd have to see that to believe it.

I think when calculating your fuel consumption in MPG for a Defender you have to remember that your speedometer is calibrated for the vehicle fitted with 7.50x16 standard wheels/tyres as most if not all Defenders I know of on 205R16 the speedo reads 4 mph more than you are actually travelling.