Land Rover cutting staff

LR90

Land Rover to cut casuals for Xmas

Solihull News

Those affected may have a "Different View" of things.

Whichever way you look at it, it is not good PR, not good for morale, and not good news for those affected.

But they (LR) will put "Spin" on it, and some smug HR Git will think they have earned their LR Pay cheque with some silly words that fool noone.

Oh, and a 'Happy Christmas' from LR too.

Shame, .............they really don't have a clue ..............do they ?

Nige

Whichever way you look at it, it is not good PR, not good for morale, and not good news for those affected.

But they (LR) will put "Spin" on it, and some smug HR Git will think they have earned their LR Pay cheque with some silly words that fool noone.

Nige

mmmm.. welcome to the world of management folks.

Difficult decision yes but at the end of the day all you LR aficionados expect a quality product at a keen price... how do LR managmenat achieve that and keep staff on they don't need.....???

Bad timing possibly (just before xmas) but this is the world of supply and demand..... just ask any UK call centre worker who's job has been exported to India...........

Yep,

Agree with all that you say :

Except

1. Many UK Companies have appalling managment, and a lack of foresight stargegy and planning

2. I was made redundant some years ago, many due to No 1 above and the fact the company got into trouble, the management were more interested in themselves and squabbling over who had the biggest office than doing their jobs, what they and others don't reaslise is that a redundancy program fundementally dmages staff morale, and the attitude / loyalty / and many reduce the effort of their work on a "whats the point - it could be me so why bust a gut attitude".

Nige

Nige

Slightly OTT Nige. They are not being sacked, fired or made redundant. These are short term contract and agency staff not permanent employees.

In that kind of work it's not good news but you know it's not guranteed. Their hourly rates are higher than the permanent equivalents too.

LR have given them3 weeks notice which is more than most agency staff get.

Steve

Edited by SteveG

I agree with SteveG. Technically by definition you don't "cut" or make casual/agencies staff redundant. They were only ever there for a the short term and knew that when they started.

I don't know what is it like in the midlands but down here in the SW, agencies struggle to find people to fill these "casual" jobs.

Many years ago all I wanted to do was be an engineer, so I did my apprenticeship and after one or two other companies, went to work for a large local engineering firm with over 1500 staff, been going since 1911 it had. When I started on the workshop floor all the old guys said you have a job here for life mate!

AUEW closed shop! All the work was on a clocking system, you had a given time to do a job and if you did it in 110% of the time it was flat rate, 100% first bonus 90% top bonus, well all the times were set by monkeys and 50% was easy for a blind man but you were not allowed to clock faster by order of the Union :blink: This they said kept the slow guys in their jobs :unsure: When I needed a large base plate drilling that I had marked out ready for a prototype installation I took it to the drilling department and asked "how long" (the guy was on a deck chair reading a news paper, not on tea break etc and was doing nothing) and was told 3 weeks, but he was doing nothing! He said he was on max bonus and was not going any faster, when I started drilling it my self, this was taking his job and I was stopped by the shop steward under threat of a walkout :o The company was being dragged to its knees by lazy idiots with blinkers on :angry::angry:

I went and got another job, out of unions forever and vowed never to have anything to do with them again.

One week after I had given my notice the company announced redundancies and was closing down due to loss of profit etc. Union answer? ALL OUT !!!!!!

Bad management ovcourse was the scream from the shop floor :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The management have no interest in swear filter is there for a reason people off, all they want to do is make money and that is what they are paid for, sometimes in business you are forced to let people go but it is far better some staff than all staff as in my experience above. If those union idiots on our shop floor had seen that, then they would all still have jobs know!

Christmas? If customers pay double at Christmas and employees do not want bonuses then Christmas is a good argument, otherwise it is just another day in the big “real” world.

Think about the whole not just the little bit you are sat in is a very good principle for workers and management alike :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Lara.

I can relate to that. As an apprentice with a company building road pavers, graders etc. in the UK, I was often asked to clock back on to a job to help out my mate who was as incompetent big hammer man as you'd find anywhere!

The idea was that as I had earned good bonus and he hadn't (because the inspection wouldn't pass his work) I was supposed to put in more hours and get less bonus just because I was an apprentice!

Damn cheek and I wouldn't do it even though he was a beer drinking mate of mine.

Some years after finishing my time (I was hard up!)I worked for another shower (made truck mixers etc) and if the slightest thing was wrong with components ............ back they went to the foundry or where ever they came from for rectification.

This was purely spite between variuos supervisors who had no idea or interest in keeping production up sometimes despite the fact that I or other fitters could have done what was needed easily.

So it's not all one sided and the unions fault, sometimes it's just sheer bloody mindedness on all sides.

As far as I know both companies are now history although I've been told that the governments policies on allowing companies to write off the cost of plant was the cause, not the stupidity of personnel.