2.250cc Head Rebuild!

Jason2

Morning

Looking to buy a cheap 1983 petrol 110 pick up with a head problem (that's why it's cheap) Geezer that's selling it has had it in the garage because it's as flat as a fart and the garage reckons it needs a new head or recon as there is only compression on 1 cylinder.

What do you reckon? Is this a classic problem? Dont know anything about the 21/4 lump, and yes I would like to drop a tdi in it but you can't just do that sort of thing here.

How easy is it to get new heads or recon heads for the 2250 petrol lump (I'm in France) or would it be best to re-con the original head?What does it entail, New valves,skim head, pressure test ?????

Thanks in advance.

Jason

It's unlikey the head itself will be damaged - they are one huge lump of cast iron. No compression between three cylinders is rare though - perhaps it's a piston/ring problem, rather than the head or head gasket?

The first step is take the head off and see what's what. A blown head gasket is usually very obvious when you see it, as are damaged valves (chipped or cracked). It might be worth checking the valve clearances first, as a tight valve means it might never close, so you would get a very low compression reading. Parts for these engines are very cheap - a complete piston kit is only £25 or so each. It might be worth considering replacing the engine with something bigger - perhaps a TDi conversion ? The 2.25 petrol engine will be working very hard all the time on such a heavy vehicle.

Les.

It's unlikey the head itself will be damaged - they are one huge lump of cast iron. No compression between three cylinders is rare though - perhaps it's a piston/ring problem, rather than the head or head gasket?

The first step is take the head off and see what's what. A blown head gasket is usually very obvious when you see it, as are damaged valves (chipped or cracked). It might be worth checking the valve clearances first, as a tight valve means it might never close, so you would get a very low compression reading. Parts for these engines are very cheap - a complete piston kit is only £25 or so each. It might be worth considering replacing the engine with something bigger - perhaps a TDi conversion ? The 2.25 petrol engine will be working very hard all the time on such a heavy vehicle.

Les.

Thanks les!

It's been in a French garage for a couple of months, all the owner knows is that it needs a new head, might be somthing simple or it might be absolutely trashed.

It's cheap, still on English plates and a long way (200 miles) so I'm taking a trailer with the intention of buying it regardless.

How easy is it to change the English log book (or is it called a V5 now) after a 200 or 300tdi conversion?

You have to be careful out here when registering vehicles, you need a certificate from Land Rover France to say that the production vehicle exists.Can be done but it's a right nightmare!!!

Cheers

Jason

I just rebuilt the head on the 2.25 fitted to my 90- as everyone says its a straightforward task, and the head itself is pretty much bombproof.

Take the head off and see what the bores look like- is there any scoring, is there a noticeable lip at the top of the bore etc. How does the bore and the associated valvegear etc for the good (i.e the one with compression) cylinder compare to the others?

Having said all this i have just embarked on the journey of rebuilding a rover v8 :ph34r: to fit to mine as the 2.25 just doesnt cut it- and mines a 90!

good luck

I just rebuilt the head on the 2.25 fitted to my 90- as everyone says its a straightforward task, and the head itself is pretty much bombproof.

Take the head off and see what the bores look like- is there any scoring, is there a noticeable lip at the top of the bore etc. How does the bore and the associated valvegear etc for the good (i.e the one with compression) cylinder compare to the others?

Having said all this i have just embarked on the journey of rebuilding a rover v8 :ph34r: to fit to mine as the 2.25 just doesnt cut it- and mines a 90!

good luck

Thanks for the replys so far.

As said before after a 200mile + drive with a car trailer it would have had to have been realy rough for me to have not bought it-so needless to say I did :rolleyes:

landy_10.jpg

landy_11.jpg

Turns out it's a 1985, 95 k Miles, it's just had over £200 spent on the ignition system,it starts fine, no smoke,dunt lose water/system not pressurised,no white snot in filler cap.It runs very well just FLAT, you have to rev like hell and slip the clutch to set off in first!! And no the brakes are'nt locked on and the clutch was new last year.

Guy at the garage reckons it's either the head gasket that's blown between cylinders or the valve seats.

I reckon that I'm going to check the valve clearences first as Les has suggested.

Not over bothered about this petrol lump as long as I can get it working, as it's a project/toy for the moment to save me wrecking the family Disco with all the off-roading I'm doing!!Count your self lucky in Blighty it's nearly dammed impossible to drop another engine in it here (France) from a administration point of view that is

Keep it coming

Jason

• 2 weeks later...