Rear wheel stuck

il-bob

Hi Guys,

Maybe you can help me out...

When I engage difflock, the rear passenger wheel gets stuck, and only turns when it meets an obstacle, like going over a large stone or so. Else, like for example driving in difflock on gravel, it just doesn't turn.

To say the truth, I haven't dismantled anything to check out like bearing and so on. Funny thing, it only happens in difflock mode, otherwise everything fine. Any idea what might be causing this problem?

bob

Define stuck a little better ? :unsure:

with 3 wheels on the ground and a rear wheel raised then it should not rotate when the centre difflock is engaged .....................

What are your axle ratios' ............... they must be the same front & rear .............. if you had a 3.54 one end and a 4.7 in the other, then yes, driving in difflock will be impossible because it will 'wind up' to the point of lockup very quickly :blink:

HTH

Ian

Define stuck a little better ? :unsure:

I mean all 4 wheels on the ground, driving on gravel, tarmac and so on, and rear passenger wheel just doesn't turn.

with 3 wheels on the ground and a rear wheel raised then it should not rotate when the centre difflock is engaged .....................

What are your axle ratios' ............... they must be the same front & rear .............. if you had a 3.54 one end and a 4.7 in the other, then yes, driving in difflock will be impossible because it will 'wind up' to the point of lockup very quickly :blink:

HTH

Ian

Re axle ratios I'm not sure. Is there a way to check what type of axles I have, maybe by serial number or something?

Tks bob

Yep. Driving in low range and engaing central difflock

sounds like you may have mismatched axles then .................however, it should also happen in hi range diff lock as well.

Jack up the rear, make sure the diff lock is out........... mark the rear prop and the rear wheel. rotate the rear wheel and count how many times the prop rotates rotates to get one revolution of the wheel............... this will tell you the ratio ........... i.e with std 90 diff, 3.54 revs of the prop will give one rev of the wheel............... on a std series diff 4.7 revs of the prop give one rev of the wheel.............

Do the same on the front and compare notes...................

Ian

sounds like you may have mismatched axles then .................however, it should also happen in hi range diff lock as well.

Jack up the rear, make sure the diff lock is out........... mark the rear prop and the rear wheel. rotate the rear wheel and count how many times it rotates to get one revolution on the prop............... this will tell you the ratio ........... i.e with std 90 diff, 3.54 revs of the wheel will give one rev of the prop............... on a std series diff 4.7 revs of the wheel give one rev of the prop..............

Do the same on the front and compare notes...................

Ian

Tks Ian. I'll check out tn.

I've checked both font and rear diff ratios. I jacked up the rear first. While turning both wheel and prop, there's nothing holding the wheel. It just turns freely. For every approx 3.5 turns of the prop, the wheel turns 1 revolution. Also, its the same in the front.

So, diff ratios eliminated. Pls inspie me on what might be causing this problem.

Tks,

bob

Jack one side of the car up so that 2 wheels are off the ground.

Engage diff lock and gearbox in neutral, handbrake off.

Obviously make sure the car isn't going to roll away.

Mark both wheels at the top with some pink paint.

Turn the back wheel 20 times.

Watch the front wheel follow exactly.

After the 20 turns, how many rotations did you miss and how many degrees are you out ?