air acctuator for winch clutch

V8 90 JON

Help and advice please, am running a mile marker type r .. the clutch for the hydraulic pump is operated by a fairlyvery primative bar sticking through the front panel between the wing and radiator, i want to try and use an air actuator but don't know what i kneed or where to get one, any advice appreciated! :blink:

Help and advice please, am running a mile marker type r .. the clutch for the hydraulic pump is operated by a fairlyvery primative bar sticking through the front panel between the wing and radiator, i want to try and use an air actuator but don't know what i kneed or where to get one, any advice appreciated! :blink:

If you manage to sort this can you please start selling it as a kit!!! My winch b1tch will definately buy one... apparently he doesn't like walking backwards and forwards through knee deep mud to change gear... No idea why??!!

Shrek

If you manage to sort this can you please start selling it as a kit!!! My winch b1tch will definately buy one... apparently he doesn't like walking backwards and forwards through knee deep mud to change gear... No idea why??!!

Shrek

Me and saley are on with developing one so i don't need to return to winch to change gear,we have go a load of rams now we just need to decide which will work best,

Carl.

Me and saley are on with developing one so i don't need to return to winch to change gear,we have go a load of rams now we just need to decide which will work best,

Carl.

Bugger... now the wish list from Carl et al includes the direct drive hydraulic pump on the end of the crank, the air actuated winch gear change, bolt on portal boxes... and maybe a rather nice winch... Poo- another remortgage unless you need any willing idiots to test the new products to see how they perform... ;) I can even try and break them if you like!!! :D

Shrek

Shrek

you should try grtting a vehicle that will drive further through then chris would not have so far to trudge

Carl.

With air solenoids, switches in the cab and some electrickery i guess it would be possible to have a free/low/high switch avoiding the possibility of engaging low and high at the same time?

With air solenoids, switches in the cab and some electrickery i guess it would be possible to have a free/low/high switch avoiding the possibility of engaging low and high at the same time?

Iv'e looked at a couple of pneumatic suppliers and reckon i can do something, more interested in engaging the chain driven pump from the cab first, the will tackle hi/low/free as a seperate job

Iv'e looked at a couple of pneumatic suppliers and reckon i can do something, more interested in engaging the chain driven pump from the cab first, the will tackle hi/low/free as a seperate job

Electro magnetic clutch is how to do the pump!

Looked into a clutch unit, prob with mine (V8) is that it has 6inches of usable space between the front face of the crank pulley and the front crossmember - not enough for a clutch & pump without some alterations. 200 TDI's seem to have more space to play with.

Hello,

Has anyone considered using a 12v Solenoid? Not necessarily a central locking one (although would be very cheap), maybe something more industrial. We use one on our 3 phase generator to switch between tick over and 1500RPM generating speed. The unit we used for this has two coils, the first is powered up only for a short term and pulls the plunger back and them then a small coil takes over and holds the plunger. These solenoids normally come with a little black box to control the switching between coils. The great thing about this is when the solenoid is powered up and is in 'hold back mode' it uses virtually no power. Also it's waterproof and easy to implement (no air plumbing etc.)

If anyone's interested, I can probably find a part number....

James

Jon,

Have a look at my rear winch thread on here.

TYhe MileMarker there has a small air soleniod operated from a T piece off the ARB system. I know you have lockers, so this is a could do for you ?

Basically you would be seriously amazed how a small amout of air can exert a large force, a ickle soleniod will pull push far more than you would think.

All you need to do is work out the "Throw" needed, and then get a double actuating unit (on and Off both powered) make a bracket and work out the pull needed, (do it via a spring tensioer - like a big fishing weighing spring) then go to a pnem,atics palce grab a manual or 4 or look up on the web, the unit I think will be small).

The 4mm pipe from the ARB will shove enough air in and the pressures highish anyway.

I would say for a klittle money and some fiddling the ARB system could sort this.

FWIW I have converted both the freespools on the 90 to air operated unit from the arbs :)

Nige

Jon,

Have a look at my rear winch thread on here.

TYhe MileMarker there has a small air soleniod operated from a T piece off the ARB system. I know you have lockers, so this is a could do for you ?

Basically you would be seriously amazed how a small amout of air can exert a large force, a ickle soleniod will pull push far more than you would think.

All you need to do is work out the "Throw" needed, and then get a double actuating unit (on and Off both powered) make a bracket and work out the pull needed, (do it via a spring tensioer - like a big fishing weighing spring) then go to a pnem,atics palce grab a manual or 4 or look up on the web, the unit I think will be small).

The 4mm pipe from the ARB will shove enough air in and the pressures highish anyway.

I would say for a klittle money and some fiddling the ARB system could sort this.

FWIW I have converted both the freespools on the 90 to air operated unit from the arbs :)

Nige

Might need to check out your set up and pirate it if that's ok.

Have you heard of a site called "piccadilly wood" near gatwick ,pay and play first sunday off month, went last month small clip on youtube "4x4 event Piccadilly wood 2" seems ok big site lots of mud..