TD5 Fuel Consumption

petrolhead63

I feel sure this one has been aired before, but having just got my TD5 I would be interested to hear what mpg other owners are getting. Genuine figures, not the rose tinted type!

I have just filled up for the second time and am a little disappointed with what it achieved, longish runs too. Looking forward to your thoughts

ok, to be honest thats what I would have expected BUT before I bought one everybody said 26-27 auto and 29-30 manual. I have a 2000 manual and just got 26-27, but it was very cold I guess!. As to fast runs, not caning it...about 75mph.

perhaps mine not so bad! any other feedback appreciated.

the wifes runs our 2000 td5 manual,

does loads of short journeys between the factories and suppliers around Leeds and the occassional long run down the countries motorways (usually at 75-80)

gets approx 25mpg overall.

BUT, when i drove to the good food show in Birmingham i did a steady 65-70 there and back (190miles on the motorway with no stop-start or traffic) and got 31mpg....

I've had mine for only a couple of weeks so I can't give accurate figures but make for interesting reading. I covered about 700km yesterday on French autoroutes at an average of 100kph and I reckon I got through about a tankful of fuel. I cannot gauge it better than that because the tank was not ful when I set off and I topped up en-route. What is the capacity of the standard tank?

you know what i meant 30/31 at a steady 70 and 28 when towing at 60.

You should know you cant go over 60 with a trailer!

if he got 31mpg towing at 70 i think he would be exceptionally pleased!

Sorry. Of course I know the towing speeds. Not that I tow much anymore.

all very interesting, in the real world with enthusiasts who have an interest in their cars they do less (or at least people know what they do!) mpg than the usual reply of 30-31!

The other interesting fact is the one car getting more has been chipped, which I know is the case with my old 406Hdi Pug which also do better chipped. At 15K annual mileage about £275 fuel saved so depending who does the chipping at what cost perhaps it is a no brainer!

As an 'outsider' (I don't run a TD5) I'll comment that your Motorway cruising speed of 75 is too fast for best economy in a brick shaped car.

Get out of the lane 3 rat race, run at 65ish, be prepared to drop the speed temporarily while the car / van in front completes a manouvre, instead of impatiently swinging into lane 3 and blasting past, muttering about 'old women', and you will get better economy.

The choice is yours :-)

Cheers

As an 'outsider' (I don't run a TD5) I'll comment that your Motorway cruising speed of 75 is too fast for best economy in a brick shaped car.

Get out of the lane 3 rat race, run at 65ish, be prepared to drop the speed temporarily while the car / van in front completes a manouvre, instead of impatiently swinging into lane 3 and blasting past, muttering about 'old women', and you will get better economy.

The choice is yours :-)

Cheers

I completely agree, motorway cruising at 75mph will kill fuel consumption, aerodynamics and all. Just as an experiment cruise at 60mph, it's more relaxing, no trouble with cameras or the 'Law', check your mpg and I'll bet it goes to over 30.

And yes, the journey will take you 5 minutes longer - WOW.

I completely agree, motorway cruising at 75mph will kill fuel consumption, aerodynamics and all. Just as an experiment cruise at 60mph, it's more relaxing, no trouble with cameras or the 'Law', check your mpg and I'll bet it goes to over 30.

And yes, the journey will take you 5 minutes longer - WOW.

Hi,

As I do the same run to work in Bristol at the same(ish) time every day I've been keeping an eye on my consumption. My G4 (manual) has been doing 27.01 mpg (3710.43 litres to cover 22071 miles) going cross country from home to the M5, up to Bristol @ 2750rpm (72mph) (in cruise) and then into work in North Bristol over the last year and a half or so.

Hope it fits in the "Genuine figures, not the rose tinted type" category.

Scrumps

with regard the 75mph cruise I tend to agree it is too fast in an ideal world.......but not sure where some of you guys live. Sadly, and whilst it is annoying my car get's a good deal of use on the M25/A3m and at anything under 70-75 on a well running road you are in the left lane doing battle with lorries at 55, trailers, and worse with every slip on a stream of cars crawling in front of you come hell or high water without so much as a thought to slipping in at the same speed. I am convinced driving a little faster and away from this lot is a major contribution to road safety! One thing is for sure at 75mph you do not get near lane three unless it is a very busy road......you would have a dose of headlights as a euroblob bears down on you from the distance to a distance you can only see the roof out the rear door at 90 plus.

"my car get's a good deal of use on the M25/A3m ......"

Thanks for that warning, I'll keep well away :-)

Obviously, from my response you have realised that M1 Derbyshire doesn't 'enjoy' the same circumstances. From Junction 27 Southwards they have even imposed 50mph limits, with average speed cameras, while they widen the road to 4 lanes (each way, even !!). Thus we have to learn patience, I think for the next two years. The speed limit does tend to be observed by a large proportion of traffic, so opportunities for expressing individuality are limited.

"a distance you can only see the roof out the rear door at 90 plus."

I've been told a NATO hook, painted bright Yellow, plus the natural braking of a diesel on a closed throttle, helps in these circumstances :-))

Looks like you are stuck with mid to high twenties.

Cheers

Mine was being driven on the M3 and M25 at a out side lane speed which was giving about 400-430 per tank and I was using around 2 1/2 tanks a week (Monday to friday)

every week for just over a year.

now its retired it seams to be drinking more and getting very slow.

currently uses an tank every three weeks.

Had a TD5 Auto. Round town was giving 23 mpg. Long cross country / motorway work gave about 26.5 mpg.

That scared me off the auto and swapped it for a manual. Round town was getting 26 mpg, cross country / motorway was getting 28.5 mpg. Never managed to crack the 30 mpg with it.

Before that was running a 200 tdi ( slightly OT) and was regularly getting 30 / 31 mpg round town, or on a run.

Best ever figure was 41.5 mpg doing 55 mph on the motorway from Merseyside to Exeter, though that might have been to slip streaming the wagons :-)

if it can be coaxed to hi 20's I will be satisfied!.......part of the reason I bought it was to combine a daily car and another purely toy vehicle for my hobbies on the basis it will be cheaper, the extra truck is a 2.8TD Frontera which it has to be said is significantly more economical and not noticeably slower. If it starts using too much fuel the extra car is justified!

• 5 months later...

Well i seem to be out on a limb here but i recently bought an 04 plate D2 Manual and im getting around 34 mpg consistently. I do always just potter along at the 60 mph mark as i find that a comfortable speed for the car. I also think it has had some re-mapping done as there is a reciept in the paperwork that came with it. Only had it 4 weeks but im finding it pretty close to the MPG i got with my previous 300Tdi - i think it has more to do with driving style and the type of runs you do - i have certainly got a lot lighter on the right foot over the last few years...

Andy