Cummins powered 109

RPR

Just saw this beast up at Winter Romp in Maine - chap from Ottowa.

Very cold and nearly 4 feet of snow made the trails pretty tough. Lots of fun though.

It's a 109 with a Cummins 6BT 12 valve good for somewhere near 300 bhp and 550+ lbs/ft torque, run through a TDF727 and LT230 to Toyota axles and hardened shafts. Those are 38" tyres. Can't belive how nicely he shoehorned the 6BT in there.

2274571698_c723b4625c.jpg

IMG_8080.sized.jpg

Sadly, I have no under bonnet shots of the Cummins 109 (belongs to a fellow called Jean-Leon Morin as far as I know - same as handdbuilt ?) Sweeeeeeet rig.

Couple of other interesting critters:

P1020269.jpg

That's a Disco chassis and running gear (lockers, uprated halfshafts, etc.) and a 4.6 lump that sounds delicious, covered in various Series bits. Very capable.

P1020271.jpg

The Range Rover SUT ?

IMG_8144.sized.jpg

A custom topped Jeep CJ2A (I think) that has all the charm of a Series 1 and that proves that Jeeps don't float either...

P1020249.jpg

my junk

IMG_8266.sized.jpg

The calendar shot

and some links to more photos:

Andrews Photos

Carl's Photos

Nick's Photos

Dave's Photos

Chris' Photos

Just saw this beast up at Winter Romp in Maine - chap from Ottowa.

Very cold and nearly 4 feet of snow made the trails pretty tough. Lots of fun though.

It's a 109 with a Cummins 6BT 12 valve good for somewhere near 300 bhp and 550+ lbs/ft torque, run through a TDF727 and LT230 to Toyota axles and hardened shafts. Those are 38" tyres. Can't belive how nicely he shoehorned the 6BT in there.

2274571698_c723b4625c.jpg

IMG_8080.sized.jpg

I WANT ONE OF THEM

(after ive done the series two maybee)

SWEEEEET

Spring over axle at the front,nice! Im guessing its a hi lux axle the spring perches match up perfect is the rear axle diff in the centre or is it the same configuration as the land rover any help on this set up would be nice

i belive its 60 series front and 80 rear. or some combination along those lines. go take a look at pirate and there wil be more there.

• 4 months later...

FridgeFreezer recommended that I join up here and I find all the photos of my pile of my piece of junk posted! My reputation preceeds me!

Brutus is an XMOD 109 chassis with a 1993 6BT, an A518 trans (4 speed version of the TF727), with a 1.003 LT230 converted to part time, and Land-Cruiser axles. The front is from a 60 series, with IFS hubs from a Hilux installed to widen the track width to match the rear axle that's from an FZJ80 (rear has an e-locker). The rear tub is from a 110 so the rear axle is moved back about 3 inches, and the front is moved forward about an inch.

The Toyota axles are getting torn out this fall and replaced with a 101FC front axle and an ENV (Eaton) rear. The Land-Cruiser stuff has held up very well, but I am worried about the weight of the engine and what it will do to the (admittedly heavily reinforced) 60 series front. The Salisbury from a 101 should be better suited to dealing with the pounding.

Tires are currently 37X12.50R17 for roadways and 325/85R16 Michelin XMLs for off-road.

66Gaza, I don't have any underhood photos, but as soon as I find the cord for my digi cam, I will send some this way.

post-10339-1215700494_thumb.jpg

post-10339-1215700511_thumb.jpg

FridgeFreezer recommended that I join up here and I find all the photos of my pile of my piece of junk posted! My reputation preceeds me!

The Toyota axles are getting torn out this fall and replaced with a 101FC front axle and an ENV (Eaton) rear. The Land-Cruiser stuff has held up very well, but I am worried about the weight of the engine and what it will do to the (admittedly heavily reinforced) 60 series front. The Salisbury from a 101 should be better suited to dealing with the pounding.

Tires are currently 37X12.50R17 for roadways and 325/85R16 Michelin XMLs for off-road.

Nice truck Jean. How heavy is the 6BT ? Do you plan on opening up the rear wheel arches and lift the wheelboxes to give the tyres a bit more clearance.I wouldn't be too concerned about strength of the reinforced Toyota front axle. Quite a few front heavy forward control Toyota Dynas with 6 cyl deisels have been converted to 4x4 over here with 60 series axles without bending issues.A pair of Longfields should insure better axle reliability.

The 101 front axle is good and beefy with huge Birfields and fairly good steering lock,why not go for a 101 rear too ? I'm personally not keen on ENV diffs. Like Rover diffs they are of the weaker non hypoid construction,just a bit larger, so their strength to size ratio is not great. I've seen enough broken ENV ring and pinions to know they are not as strong as Toy stuff. And you would need to do something about the different wheel stud pattern of the 101 6 stud vs Env 5 stud. ( 101 spindles and hubs on the ENV? ) Anyway good luck with all your future developments.

Bill.

Nice truck Jean. How heavy is the 6BT ? Do you plan on opening up the rear wheel arches and lift the wheelboxes to give the tyres a bit more clearance.I wouldn't be too concerned about strength of the reinforced Toyota front axle. Quite a few front heavy forward control Toyota Dynas with 6 cyl deisels have been converted to 4x4 over here with 60 series axles without bending issues.A pair of Longfields should insure better axle reliability.

The 101 front axle is good and beefy with huge Birfields and fairly good steering lock,why not go for a 101 rear too ? I'm personally not keen on ENV diffs. Like Rover diffs they are of the weaker non hypoid construction,just a bit larger, so their strength to size ratio is not great. I've seen enough broken ENV ring and pinions to know they are not as strong as Toy stuff. And you would need to do something about the different wheel stud pattern of the 101 6 stud vs Env 5 stud. ( 101 spindles and hubs on the ENV? ) Anyway good luck with all your future developments.

Bill.

Hi Bill,

It's great to hear your opinions on this stuff. Thanks for chiming in.

I ma going to leave the wheel boxes as is. The 39 inch tires will probably be replaced with something smaller. The 37s I run on the road are the perfect dimensions and do not rub anywhere. This will probably be the next tire, unless I can get my paws on some 900R16 XZLs.

The weight figure I have heard for the 6BT is 960 lbs. This sounds alarming, but considering a Toyota 2H is supposedly about 700 lbs, by moving the batteries (two of them on the CDN market) to the back, the front axle loading should be very similar to the stock HJ60 wagon.

I am planning on using an Eaton H072, which is actually an american axle. It looks very similar to an ENV (ENV engineering was collaborating with Eaton in the 60's, and the design similarities are evident), but it has a hypoid gearset that is probably the strongest ring and pinion setup of any light truck axle in the world. The pinion is only about eight inches long, and is supported at both ends (both behind and ahead of the ring gear) by huge bearings. The pinion shaft is 2" diameter, with a 10 spline pattern borrowed from heavy truck Eaton diffs, which leads me to believe that much of hte design is scaled down from their larger axles. The ratios are very coarse, huge teeth on the ring gear, and the carriers have a load bolt that limits ring gear deflection under high load situations. It's a very nice piece of engineering, and the axleshafts are interchangeable with the Chevrolet 14 bolt rear axle, for which aftermarket alloy shafts are available.

I am having a love/hate relationship with the Toyota axles, the e-locker especially.

I am having a love/hate relationship with the Toyota axles, the e-locker especially.

I'm interested what problems you're having with the e-locker. I've been having a fair bit of 'fun' with the e-lockers in my 80 series axles since fitting them. They seem to jam up easily, but I thought it was just lack of use prior to my abuse of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Well after asking JL for underhood pics of his 6BT 109 my perseverance finally paid off and he kindly posted a link on one of his threads on Pirate. I don't think he would mind if I posted it up here.

Is the 109 behind the 110 that's in the picture then? :huh:

:P

Well after asking JL for underhood pics of his 6BT 109 my perseverance finally paid off and he kindly posted a link on one of his threads on Pirate. I don't think he would mind if I posted it up here.

Gaza

its always nice to see a turbo that i make at work in action!