LR finally admits there's a problem with the 2.4 defender

Guest deleted

So will they recall or is it a case of when it next goes in they'll change it if it has witness marks? Need to get mine out and about then :o

It says on the lra post - there's no recall, you need to go and complain of 'a noise underneath' preferably with the witness marks there ready and waiting - If it was me i'd just print off the pdf and take it in with me.

My local dealer is already on the case,,

Did mention it, when it was last in, and they of course denied all knowledge !!

They now have the Bulletin number, so no excuse,

Now where did i put that knocking stick !!! :ph34r:

PS Thanks Jim :)

Guest diesel_jim
So will they recall or is it a case of when it next goes in they'll change it if it has witness marks? Need to get mine out and about then :o

why not jack the front up, remove a road spring and lower it down...dent the sump (or wrap the propshaft in sandpaper and spin it a bit!!)

Guest diesel_jim
is it just left hand drive model that are affected

as the technical bulletin is titled defender (LD) ?

dan

I think LHD models are more likely to suffer from the problem, due apparently to the panhard rod being mounted on the oter side of the chassis, but in relation to the above quesion, "LD" is the VIN suffix for Landrover Defender

No, it affects both LHDs and RHDs.

LD comes from the 4th and 5th characters in the VIN and it designates a Defender, as LJ designates a Disco, LN a Freeby, LP a Range Rover.

Nobody would use "LD" instead of "LHD", unless a world shortage of ink or something :P

P.S. Jim was quicker ...

Does anyone know for sure whether current production Defenders have the new oil pan fitted and hence this is, for them, a non-problem.

Or, are LR still fitting the old pan and only changing when they get an incident or a complaint. I have a friend with a 90 HT about to be delivered, which could well go seriously off-roading. I told him to get the dealer to check the tank breather pipe relocation had been done, I wonder if I need to tell him about this problem as well?

Thanks