LR finally admits there's a problem with the 2.4 defender

Guest deleted

Ditto. Love mine - no regrets.

Obviously there are "teething" problems (I also have a teething child at the moment so I get it from all directions) but LR pay for all repairs for 3 years and in the mean time I enjoy power (ish) and comfort (ish).

I am so glad i did as well ,

Only thing i miss is the front panel vents,, certainly nothing else !!

Me too, I really liked those vents. That's why I went for the air con which I've never bothered with before. Would make a hot summer in commuting traffic or safari trip hell otherwise.

My dealer has just had an 07 Defender in with a hole punched in the sump. The customer kept driving with the oil light on until the engine seized. :blink: I've sent them a copy of the technical bulletin and will be getting mine changed at the next service...

the other thing to watch with the new engine is the water pump, as it's driven off a splined shaft via the power steering pump (on Ford's anyway, not sure about the LR) this eventually wears away as it's a softer metal then drive in the PAS pump, leading to overheating.

It's nigh on impossible to find a PAS pump for a TDCi these days as they are all knackered.....

food for thought, although it may be a different set up with the defender altogether

• 1 month later...
Apologies for dragging this old one up,,

But it looks like their is a problem getting hold of the modded sumps !!

Mine was due for a precautionary change, but LR are having a supply problem,

They are probably hunting round the back of the sheds at Tata looking for some old stock they can make fit! LR are very good at that, Just think of the maestro van tail lights and marina door handles they would have had to throw out if it wasn't for the discovery!

Does anyone know for sure whether current production Defenders have the new oil pan fitted and hence this is, for them, a non-problem.

Or, are LR still fitting the old pan and only changing when they get an incident or a complaint. I have a friend with a 90 HT about to be delivered, which could well go seriously off-roading. I told him to get the dealer to check the tank breather pipe relocation had been done, I wonder if I need to tell him about this problem as well?

Thanks

Iv'e already email my dealer about the problem 'clunk', I think whilst im there I should get them to do the above "tank breather pipe relocation", does anyone have any other info on this, i.e a TechBullitin?

They are probably hunting round the back of the sheds at Tata looking for some old stock they can make fit! LR are very good at that, Just think of the maestro van tail lights and marina door handles they would have had to throw out if it wasn't for the discovery!

I heard there such delay......a month was told by the dealer.

• 2 months later...

I'm bringing this BTT as I am interested if anyone else has managed to talk their dealer into replacing the standard sump with the modified or if they, like mine, are still persisting in sticking their heads in the sand and denying that there is a potential problem.

Also, does anyone have a current firm price for the modified sump Pt. No LR007598?

I'm bringing this BTT as I am interested if anyone else has managed to talk their dealer into replacing the standard sump with the modified or if they, like mine, are still persisting in sticking their heads in the sand and denying that there is a potential problem.

Also, does anyone have a current firm price for the modified sump Pt. No LR007598?

A friend of mine told me there are two new Defenders back with holed sumps at the dealer and of course with dead engines!!!!!

Guest diesel_jim

That one doesn't show up in my microcat (although mine isn't the latest one... 03/2008) but the "old" sump is shown as NLA....

so maybe they're only supplying the modified ones now?

post-130-1213896404_thumb.jpg