OIl filter removal

white90

Lets have your tips please as I fugging hate this job!

just had to stab it with a screw driver as all other ham fisted attempts failed...

got so dark I have left putting oil in it till tomorrow.

Also found Power steering box still weeping :angry:

Front pinion seal leaking :angry:

and front radius arm bushes need replacing :angry:

So a bluddy succesful day all in (not)

Tony,

Pete Read at Continental Cars does very nice Sealey belt wrench with 3/8 and 1/2 inch drives - works very well - costs about 6 quid. I have just bought another one as I gave mine to a mate... Fits into the depths of a Tdi bay very nicely

Edited by honitonhobbit

just had to stab it with a screw driver as all other ham fisted attempts failed...

I recomend a decent three legged geared oil filter remover. It fits on your half inch drive socket set. As you try to loosen the filter the action through the internal gears causes the legs to grip tighter.

Like this: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...=98381&id=48077

but not necessarily that make. I think mine is a draper one.

Or a chain wrench(heavy duty). - I have got one I made from a motorcycle chain and and old 1/2 inch socket.

Loosen the filter, then put a plastic bag over it(one without holes!), and holding the filter 'through' the bag, remove the filter. Any drips and spills will go into the bag with the filter.

Regards, Diff

leaks - that is normal. you worry when there are no leaks. :lol:

I have used the screw driver method, not my no. 1 choice.

I have manage to unscrew by hand, one hand on the filter, sometimes necessary to put cloth around filter to get a grip, then second hand over the other hand to grip that harder. If can be very difficult to undo with much cursing. And it hurts.

When in US, I bought 2 gator grips - basically a tough rubber band that has a wrench type thing., This will do it but sod's law means there is not enough room to get the gator grip in and then swing it.

In those instances, you can buy a large socket that fits over the multi-faced part of the oil filter. Not used one of these but I really should get one of those.

Also I have put jubilee clips, joining 2 together then hammer or screwdriver to rotate it - not always successful tho'

Always before starting this job, run engine to temperature then throw 1/2 pint of used oil onto the drive so you don't feel bad when it happens, as inevitably it does, later.

If all fails, take it to the garage. :lol:

I have 2, a 3 legged filter remover I just bought (haven't tried it on an oil filter yet but it gets a #kin tight grip on anything else when I was "testing") and a strap wrench which is a web strap about 1" across and a bar thing that goes onto a ratchet (3/8" one end 1/2" the other) as you turn the ratchet it tightens its grip and then continuing to turn rotates the filter - good but only works if the filter isn't oily or greasy.

Both mine are draper items I think

I also have something called a "boa constrictor" which I guess is what Yanks would call a 'gator grip' - good for holding shockers while you do the nut up, loosing the top of my beer barrels and all sorts of other things so I would think filters would be OK :)

Boa constrictor

I also use a largish cheap funnel with a length of 1" pipe about three feet long fitted into a five litre container.

You are only draining 5l of oil out of a Tdi? Unusual.

HA! 300Tdi are easy, not like 200Tdi ones, they are vertical so you can get them off without getting half a pint of used 10W/40 in your armpit. You don't know how lucky you are!

I use a three legged type too. Attached to all of my extention bars I can spin the filter off and hope that it falls into the oil catcher tray whilst standing well clear of the whole operation and twisting the bar (also on a lift).

I changed the filter on Jenny's Rover the other day. Lifted the bonnet, reached in, turned it off by hand and let it drop into the oil tray. I did have to drive it up onto some pieces 4x2 in order to get the clearance underneath for an oil tray though. :(

Anyway, if you think you have trouble you should try buying a house, nightmare! :angry:

Chris

I use the chain type of filter wrench, but that's because I use it to remove Citroen bluddy stupid suspension spheres as well :angry: I've never used the legged type as they look very bulky and some cars have the filter very close the engine block or in even worse locations than on L/R's.

Les. :)

Normally gator grip if I can't do it by hand and when that won't do it I use a three legged grip with a 1/2" drive, great bit of kit. Fits easy on the 90 but on the Disco I need to jack the vehicle up a bit for clearance.

I like the plastic bag idea. Will try that next time.

I use the old rubber glove method. On with the marigolds, grab a hold of the filter and hey presto! the filter should turn.

In reply to the Difflock oil removal sump plug thingy, I wouldn't recomend using as they seem to be made from softish metal and when the protective cap is screwed on they stick out quite a way. So if you knocked one on a rock it could easily break resulting in completely loosing your engine oil. Nice!!!

i use one of three methods

1. chain on a loop attached to 1/2 drive

2. 3/4" web strap loop on 1/2 drive

or

3. not sure what its called but its a rubber strap that you feed around the filter and back through the handle. handle goes perpendicular to the filter and off it comes!

Tony, consider yourself very lucky, on the 2.8 the filter is in the most God aweful place; right up against the brakelines. Its a bit of a mission even trying to get the filter wrench on. I use a chain one and its never failed. I prefer the three legged ones, though, but there isn't the space on the 2.8.

Also, to make you feel better the list of remedial jobs for me is: one new wing (had a small tree issue last time I was out), both pinion seal starting to weap, stearing box to change, one slightly moist swivel seal, the transferbox inspection plate seal (the only one I didn't change grrrrr), difflock to sort (not engaging fully), new radius arm bushes, a tyre to clean out and a snorkel to fix (jubilee clips make one hell of a bang when they snap :huh: ). I'm up north so its waiting for me when I get back home in a couple of weeks.

i use one of the three legged geared type filter removers.

i've never found a filter that it wont remove, even got the one off my mates tractor that they had spent about two hours trying to remove....

mines made by BERGEN, about £6 from the shows.

This is what I got recently, nice'n'chearful at €5, screwing in the spindle tightens the metal strap; although it could be a struggle when space is limited I suppose; it's theoretical until A. the weather improves B. the engine works to heat up the oil :rolleyes:

gallery_45_9_1900.png

Ha, honestly though, you don't need to drain oil from Land Rovers, it just .. you know .. goes!

The best tool I've used for this is oil filter pliers.

See Link.

Oil filter Pliers

When my brother bought his Disco & I bought my wifes both were ridiculously tight, on my bro's I snapped a chain wrench. These pliers had it off in seconds.

On the tightnening tip, as soon as the seal makes contact, 1/4 of a turn is plenty. Don't forget to put a smear of oil on the seal :rolleyes:

Brett