Team Mate Need For Birthday Bash Winch Challenge

white90

Trev - why not just fit 3.5 ring & pinions? I agree that the gearing is better with 4.7's - but the gearing aint going to help you if you've only got one wheel drive! Even as an interrim measure until funds allow.

Si,

my 3.54 diffs have been stripped for shims and bolts and the ARB fitted into one of the cases.

I've also swapped out my transfer box for a rangie 1.192 which with the 4.7s and Simex gave perfect gearing for the road and a nice spread between hi and low range. Will Warne has taken the original 1.67 off me.

gearing.jpg

Using 3.54s is an option but it means using a 1.67 transfer box (unless you've got auto of course) which are not easy to get hold of, to get the on road gearing right, and then adding some Ashcroft crawler gears and perhaps the crawler box for the off road stuff. Well out of my budget.

I've been running the series diffs for a while now and they've been fine. But with the ARB fitted I'd managed to get the truck nose up and cross axled enough to dislocate a rear spring while putting lots of torque through to the one wheel left carrying all the weight. Guess I found the weakest link :)

As an interim measure I'll be just be leaving the ARB out. Might need to winch more but I've done much better on earlier events with open diffs. Very dissapointed that the R&P gave out so soon though and really feel I'd have done better without the ARB cos like you say 2WD is better than 1WD.

So, anyone got any cheap series diffs I can carry as spares?